• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

over heating

green56

would need help car over heats not all the time it seems like if i travel in morning the car runs fine then in afternoon it will run ok then it starts to climb when i stop at a stop light the temp goes up then comes down a little but not enough to stop from over heating this is a 289cid 2b engine was over hauled in 03 only a 100 miles was put on up till 07 do not know what was done the person died and on paper work rad was pulled boiled out tubes were punched and pressure tested engine was flushed 5 blade fan 21/2 " hub from fan checked air flow rag pulls up to grill their is a cond coil that is clean put a 180 in thermostat with all that done it still over heats today 31 i am going to put 160 statin and change water pump that is cast iron and flush engine again. Know does any body know what other things i can try?

Mustanglvr

The inside of the hoses could be bad. Have they been replaced lately?

hufbeats

Have you done anything to the carb? i recently had the same problem on my 63 Ford. No matter what I did I couldn't solve the problem until we repaced the carb. Apparently it was leaking making it run very lean. Fixed the card, fixed the problem.

@Holmes

I agree with the above - also it could be that your block was baked when overhauled. This will cause the water jacket bores to flake off some rust spores, there sole purpose in life is to clog up just enough radiator tubes to hurt you when you least expect it. If you have the original radiator have a good tech flush or recore with original top bottom sections. Otherwise get a new 3 row from Johns Mustang.

nfrntau

Use a candy thermometer and a pot of water. Bring the water temp up and verify that the thermostat is opening at 180.