• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Highly optioned california specials?

murf104

Does anyone know or care to take an educated guess about the frequency of options sold on the California Specials? What % were actually equipped with the GT option? What % were sold with deluxe interior? Tilt wheel? AM 8 track? Conv. Package. The list goes on and on of course, and then one has to ask for instance how many equipped with the GT package were ordered with the deluxe interior and A/C. There is no end I know but what do you think the frequency was. What do you think the the most expensive California Special was ordered with or what options do you have on your car that would put it in this catagory. This post is mainly questions, but I think that everyone who lurks here has at one time or another asked themselves the same things. Lets see what your collective opinion is.

BrandonB

As for what % of GT/CS' were GT's in my book "Mustang the Original Muscle Car" by Randy Leffingwell it states on page 77 for those who may have the book and I quote "The GT/CS package was a $194.31 option, Which did not include the 146.71 GT package. In fact, it appears that fewer than 8 percent of GT/CS cars were also GTs." So give or take a few percentiles and who knows he could have been wrong but thats whats in THIS book atleast anyhow hope this may have helped!

-BrandonB

Well...since you asked...

Here are some numbers you might get a look at from my 1996 Registry. These are the numbers from the GT/CS survey from 1986-1997. This is about 20% of production, and only based on owner response. By comparison, the Shelby registries for 1967 and 1968 have about a 24% response. To get a quick estimate, multiply each number by 5, then divide that number by 4118, and you'll get a percentage. This was long before the advent of "Marti Reports", and may be off --a little (?).

Bear in mind that 85% of GT/CS production were "plain Jane" 2bbl., 289, C-4 Auto versions, with not a lot of options. Remember that this was a marketing plan, to get "metal out the door", as they say. What dealers would do, is order up one or two optioned-out CS cars for the showroom, to get people to come in and look at it. These cars were the GT, and big block types, usually, and red or blue.

A/C -213 Vinyl Top - 110 AM/FM Radio - 36
AM/8-Track - 1 Two-Toned Hood - 21 In-Dash Tach - 69
Rear Window Defogger - 13 Convenience Group - 63 Tinted Glass - 54
Remote Mirror - 162 Tilt Away Wheel - 42 Accent Stripe - 3
Console (lower) - 210 Speed Control - 9 Chrome Wheel Moldings - 73
Comfortweave Seats - 49 Disc Brakes - 52 In-Dash Clock - 146
Bumper Guards--Front-148 / Ft.& Rear-132 / Rear Only - 145
Kneepad on Dash (early cars only) - 32

I hope this helps,

Paul.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Paul: What do you think the frequency of the deluxe interior would have been on the CS cars? There was a very definite improvement in the appearance of the pony interior in the 65 - 66 models and it was an easilly noticed and appreciated option - the 68 is not quite such an obious addition. Does this observation seem to play any part in the # of vehicles with a standard interior? Also noticed that the cars with a/c far outnumber those with tinted glass. To what do you attribute this as those two options seem to be tied to one another - normally even mentioned on dealer blanks of that era. John Murphy

Well, I think the tinted glass numbers are low. Not everyone knows that they have it, and it does fade to "clear" over time.

AC was a pretty popular option--especially in So. Calif. ONE GT/CS sent to Hawaii, had a "heater delete"!!

'68 was not like '67 in terms of options, and a wide variety. About 1/3 less Mustang Coupes in '68 than '67, too.

The Deluxe Interior wasn't as popular as you'd think, either. I really do think from my talks with Lee Grey, that most of the cars were standard "everything" from the 289, C-4, to the interior--and even by the high number of Ivy Gold colored cars.

Basically, if you have some options on your CS, be very appreciative. It's basically a coupe version of a '68 Shelby--if it's a 4bbl/or big block car, and optioned out.

Keep in mind that this was a marketing plan, and looks were everything to sell lots of coupes then.

Paul.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Paul, it is funny that you should bring up the subject of the lime green paint. According to figures published by Jim Smart in the book "In Search Of Mustangs", that color was the third most popular color for Mustangs across the board in 68, I was in Veit Nam during the entire year of 68 and was so surprised to return home and see how popular this color was. Never did understand it (along with a lot of other things that were going on at that time) and have been curious to know if lime green has as much popularity among California Special buyers as in the general Mustang population. One additional puzzle is this: Were most California Special Mustangs orders submitted with a customers name, or were they simply ordered by the sales manager at the dealership with those options that he knew would sell to the average guy. Thanks, John Murphy

68sunlitgold

murf104,
out of a total of 317,423 produced and 17 colors:
Lime Gold (#1 choice in color)
Candyapple Red
Acapulco Blue
Wimbledon White
Highland Green
Sunlit Gold
Meadowlark Yellow
Gulfstream Aqua....
Pebble Beige being the rarest at 4,687

It is coincidental that if you look at the top 5, 4 of the 5 are in the 1st
2 pages of the '68 Mustang brochure, with a Lime Gold fastback on the front
cover.

Doug

I think that 90% of the cars at the dealer were spec'd by the dealer--or the district would send them cars. Lee Grey "locked the doors" until they set their quota selling cars to dealers on Feb 15th, at that party...(and they set a record, too, selling cars!)

I do know about a few original owners that special ordered their cars.

Doug is right. You know....lime green (avacado) refrigerators and stoves were popular then, too!! it's a nice color when new--but horrid when oxidized.

Paul.

68sunlitgold

Paul,
when I saw my first Lime Gold mustang, I thought "did someone actually paint there car that color." But you are right, a freshly painted Lime Gold mustang looks GREAT! I also like the Acapulco Blue, I believe that is the color of the CS that Lee is showing at the LA show, the one with the white top....I like that combination.
Doug

Bluestang

I think I have that one car from Hawaii with heater delete. I thought a heater delete was common in southern california. It is interesting to see what options other gt/cs came with. MY car came as ordered. Martiautoworks confirmed.390-4V ,GT, C-6, F70 WOT,
white sidewall tires, deluxe steering wheel, PDB, PS, Delete heater, AM radio, deluxe seat belts, sold in Hawaii 5/14/69. Are there other cars made with the heater delete?It would be interesting to know. Thank you, Kimball

OP
OP
M

murf104

I know that many of you who lurk here on this forum have verification from Kevin Marti or a cac from Ford. I would be interested as to the DOCUMENTED car with the most equipment as delivered to the dealer (not to the cistomer with a lot of additions to spruce up the bottom line) It is pretty common knowledge that many dealers stuck a lot of high profit items on vehicles in order to enhance their profit. Who can prove that the car they have is the most luxurious or expensive auto belonging to members or guests of this forum? John Murphy

I have tinted windows, and they look just as good as they day they were new. Does anyone have tinted windows that are faded? Doesn't the pigment in the tint layer protect against UV light? I do know the tint isn't on the surface of either side of the glass in the windshield, its in the middle layer that connects both halfs of the glass. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about this? Sorry it doesn't pertain much to this post.

BrandonB

Mine use to have a purpleish tint but the people before me took a razor to it to scratch it off so now in the cornors I have a purple and scratched up window. :-[

platnumheart666

;3618 said:
Well...since you asked...

Here are some numbers you might get a look at from my 1996 Registry. These are the numbers from the GT/CS survey from 1986-1997. This is about 20% of production, and only based on owner response. By comparison, the Shelby registries for 1967 and 1968 have about a 24% response. To get a quick estimate, multiply each number by 5, then divide that number by 4118, and you'll get a percentage. This was long before the advent of "Marti Reports", and may be off --a little (?).

Bear in mind that 85% of GT/CS production were "plain Jane" 2bbl., 289, C-4 Auto versions, with not a lot of options. Remember that this was a marketing plan, to get "metal out the door", as they say. What dealers would do, is order up one or two optioned-out CS cars for the showroom, to get people to come in and look at it. These cars were the GT, and big block types, usually, and red or blue.

A/C -213 Vinyl Top - 110 AM/FM Radio - 36
AM/8-Track - 1 Two-Toned Hood - 21 In-Dash Tach - 69
Rear Window Defogger - 13 Convenience Group - 63 Tinted Glass - 54
Remote Mirror - 162 Tilt Away Wheel - 42 Accent Stripe - 3
Console (lower) - 210 Speed Control - 9 Chrome Wheel Moldings - 73
Comfortweave Seats - 49 Disc Brakes - 52 In-Dash Clock - 146
Bumper Guards--Front-148 / Ft.& Rear-132 / Rear Only - 145
Kneepad on Dash (early cars only) - 32

I hope this helps,

Paul.

According to this, Bumper Guards on the front and back are only on 132 GT/CSs. I have on mine, not sure if stock, but can't see someone just putting them on.
Not on my Basic Marti, Elite on its way. How is one to tell if stock or not?
Unless these are something else and not the "Bumper Guards" mentioned about?

Attachments

• 10636229_820064438045881_3096013336388834365_n.jpg
    10636229_820064438045881_3096013336388834365_n.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 35
  • vbpgimage.jpg
    vbpgimage.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 33

Ruppstang

The wheel opening moldings were also included with the bumper guards so you should have them or evidence of the holes were they were. They should be listed as a option on any Marti report.
Marty

somethingspecial

Those stats were written in 2003 and based on the info at the time, which turned out to be an educated guess at best. Paul authored another book in 2011, which had better and reliable info. With that being said, it has been reported cars built before February 20th, 1968 had both front and rear bumper guards, and as a cost cutting effort to offset the cost of the mandatory Highway Safety Act, which required shoulder belts and side marker lights, the bumper guards were phased out as standard equipment and only offered as optional equipment.

Marty may be a better voice to correct me if I am wrong about the bumper guards. Looking through all the Marti Reports I have on file, not one listed bumper guards as an option.

Ruppstang

Mike the information about the book is true. The date that the bumper guards went optional was 12-12-67 so no GTCS or HCS could have had them with out it showing up on the Marti report. Here is a copy of that document that supports that. It does not mean that a dealer could have installed them. Marty

Attachments

• 68 Ford Sales Catalog Addendum 001.jpg
    68 Ford Sales Catalog Addendum 001.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 68 Ford Sales Catalog Addendum 001_crop.jpg
    68 Ford Sales Catalog Addendum 001_crop.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 39

robert campbell

In 1967 an option for the Mustang was "Exterior Décor Group". As I remember it was wheel opening moldings, louvered hood, rear deck lid and end cap trim, and bumper guards. May have even contained the light under the hood and in the trunk?

Did they have a similar group option in 1968?

Rob