• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Sequential LED tail lights from NorthWest Mustang, LLC

harryz

Aloha everyone. I am in the middle of repairing my tail lights and have been contemplating putting in the sequential LED lights. Well, today I called National Parts Depot (NPD) to order them, and happened to ask if they use the light kit from Mustang Project. He said 'no, we use the kit from NorthWest Mustang, LLC'. I've never seen any mention of this company, sounds like NPD has the exclusive distribution rights.

Has anyone here installed this LED light kit? If so, what was your experience with this product?

From reviewing their web site and installation instructions, I see the following differences from the Mustang Project setup:

1) There are 3 LED boards that you (literally) glue into place.

2) There is only 1 connection to the 1157 socket, the boards are "daisy-chained" together with wires, and you're supposed to "plug" the other sockets (with what, I do not know)

3) There are "81 5mm super bright LEDs" per side. (Not sure how many and what size LEDs are used on the Mustang Project kit).

Here's the web site for NorthWest Mustang, LLC:

http://www.northwestmustang.com/productsShelby.html

Any / all feedback appreciated on this product.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

rvrtrash

Well I live in the Pacific Northwest and I've never heard of them, although Belkirk Mustang is well known and they are a dealer for them. It bothers me though that they don't put a street address anywhere on their website. All contact seems to be by email. The daisy chain setup would be functional and basically the same end result as the Mustang Project setup, but I think I would go with the original anyway. If you have a bad socket and it's the one you're plugged into with this new setup, you'd have no lights on one side. At least with the Mustang Project you'd still have 2 of the boards working.
Steve

rjw

Sequential LED taillights

Thanks for the informative message. I was also planning to call NPD this week to potentially order the kit; after researching the two sources of kits, I believe I will order the Mustang Project kit over the Northwest Mustang kit. And based on a previous post on this subject, I believe I will opt for the sequential version.
RJW

davidathans

i have the same sequential LED kit you have...i have not yet installed them due to time and money constraints...there is also some flasher thing that goes behind the dash right?...i heard these taillights are supposed to be awesome...i ordered mine through Mustangs Plus..the guy on the phone recommended them to me as being way better than bulbs, i cant wait to put them in.

68gt390

The lights from "Mustang Project" are I believe the best set-up out there. Simply plug and go. No "Glue" and no daisy chain wiring. Took me a total of 30 minutes to put mine in and most of that time was simply taking the lens covers off. As for the flasher simply unplug the old and plug in the new and your on your way. If I can put them in anybody can.

Don :grin:

Mosesatm

As much as I feel the Mustang Project gents are a bunch of rubes I'd vote for their product, too. I'm just not comfortable plugging 3 lights into one socket. That seems like too much of a load on the center socket.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
As much as I feel the Mustang Project gents are a bunch of rubes I'd vote for their product, too. I'm just not comfortable plugging 3 lights into one socket. That seems like too much of a load on the center socket.

MP's kit does not plug all of them into one socket (at least for the non sequential ones).

Mosesatm

390cs68rcode said:
MP's kit does not plug all of them into one socket (at least for the non sequential ones).

2) There is only 1 connection to the 1157 socket, the boards are "daisy-chained" together with wires, and you're supposed to "plug" the other sockets (with what, I do not know)

Then it looks like some clarification is needed on how these things are installed.

390cs68rcode

for my non sequential lights there are single standalone light boards that plug into each socket.

Maybe the sequential kits are a little different. anyone with a sequential kit like to explain?

joedls

Mosesatm said:

Then it looks like some clarification is needed on how these things are installed.

I think you and Jason are referring to 2 different products. The Mustang Project lights are as Jason says, 3 diiferent boards per side, one in each socket. I believe this other product from Northwest Mustang is the one you are referring to, Arlie. This is the one that is "daisy chained".

davidathans

the Northwest mustang SEQUENTIAL LED taillights are linked together and plug into one socket...i have yet to install mine, the whole glueing thing does make it seem like more of a job....the mustang project lights that Don put in in a half hour sound much easier to install. What im most worried about is changing that flasher thing behind the dash...i've never pulled my dash off, so i dont know what to expect and i dont want to run into any problems.

as far as too much load plugging into 1 socket...These are LEDs!!! they draw practically nothing...much less than 3 bulbs do.

joedls

davidathans said:
What im most worried about is changing that flasher thing behind the dash...i've never pulled my dash off, so i dont know what to expect and i dont want to run into any problems.

David,

It's a piece of cake. You don't have to pull the dash off. You can locate it and switch it out from underneath.

case12

joedls said:
David,

It's a piece of cake. You don't have to pull the dash off. You can locate it and switch it out from underneath.

Agreed - It's just the normal signal flasher "can" that you replace when your turn signals dont work anymore. It is likely hanging around near your steering column. Unplug the "can" and plug the little module in and you are done. Casey

Mosesatm

joedls said:
I think you and Jason are referring to 2 different products. The Mustang Project lights are as Jason says, 3 diiferent boards per side, one in each socket. I believe this other product from Northwest Mustang is the one you are referring to, Arlie. This is the one that is "daisy chained".

Yep, it looks like I misread Jason's post. I thought he was refering to the other company.

Mosesatm

One problem with the non-sequential units is that they take too long between flashes. I think the flasher is timed for all 3 lights to light up sequentially, even when using the non-sequential lights. I may put the original flasher back in.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
One problem with the non-sequential units is that they take too long between flashes. I think the flasher is timed for all 3 lights to light up sequentially, even when using the non-sequential lights. I may put the original flasher back in.

careful, I think the MP lights need their special flasher.

NorthWestMustang

NorthWestMustang Owner

Good Evening Everyone. My name is Larry and I own NorthWestMustang LLC. I manufacture the LED system referred to in this thread. I though I would answer any questions. First, thank you for looking over my products. All my systems are made here in Eugene, OR. I do not list my address or number because I do not like competing with the retailers carring my products. However, my phone number is printed on all boards shipped. So I hope the following helps out. The system plugs into one socket only. The three boards are connected using the wires to complete the installation. The wires give more flexablity. Some are installed using the OEM housing, others the aftermarket style. The flasher under the dash replaces the OEM flasher. This sends a digital signal down your OEM wiring to the rear boards. The controlling board picks up the signal and begins the sequence. If it does not hear this, it goes into brake mode. Running lights are on their own circuit. I suggest using a clear silicon to attach the boards for several reasons. One, it is flexible and helps with vibration. Second, it can be removed and does not leave a mess. My boards contain 28 Super Bright 5mm LEDs each. There are three boards per side as noted. This allows the entire lens to fill with light. The flasher replaces the entire OEM sequence box located in the trunk. When I ship them,there is only one flasher. If the OEM unit has been removed, you only need one. If you have the OEM unit, you need two. This is provided free to include shipping to your address. However, there is a note to call or email me if you need an additional one to replace the OEM unit. These come with a lifetime, to the original owner, warranty. I hope this helps and I have not offended anyone by posting. NorthWestMustang LLC is a small family owned business. Oh, the Mustang II on my site is mine. The body kit is from the 1977 Mustang II "Monroe Handler". Thanks again for looking over my products. My number is 541.463.7623. Larry

hotrodgrany

Aloha everyone. I am in the middle of repairing my tail lights and have been contemplating putting in the sequential LED lights. Well, today I called National Parts Depot (NPD) to order them, and happened to ask if they use the light kit from Mustang Project. He said 'no, we use the kit from NorthWest Mustang, LLC'. I've never seen any mention of this company, sounds like NPD has the exclusive distribution rights.

Has anyone here installed this LED light kit? If so, what was your experience with this product?

From reviewing their web site and installation instructions, I see the following differences from the Mustang Project setup:

1) There are 3 LED boards that you (literally) glue into place.

3) There are "81 5mm super bright LEDs" per side. (Not sure how many and what size LEDs are used on the Mustang Project kit).

Here's the web site for NorthWest Mustang, LLC:

http://www.northwestmustang.com/productsShelby.html

Any / all feedback appreciated on this product.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Not sure if any of this will help, but check what Charlie, our president and the club I belong to, says about installing sequential tail lights, and I am thinking about this for my new one.
http://fallscitymustangclub.com/fcmc.htm