• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Recommended Thermostat Rating (289)?

BroadwayBlue

What thermostat is everyone running?
160 or 180 degrees?

This for a 289.

I need to change the thermostat housing so may as well pop in a new thermostat while we're at it. Not sure what is in there now.

Thanks!

J.Bart

i run a 160* in the summer on my stroked 427, it runs a little hotter, 180 in the cooler months

P

PNewitt

Well...

There are a couple of things to consider. IF your block has a lot of "scale" from years of hard water in it, the block may get hotter sooner.

If you live in a cooler climate, you might want it to get warmer; later, for the heater..

There is the stock rating, and the scale thing...and your climate.

I know--I totally confused you. There might be a reason why they like to sell the 195 deg. version.....maybe you should ask that parts dealer why they carry only one type.

You also might want to get one of those cool rad caps with the digital LCD readout right there in the middle of the cap.

Paul N.

J.Bart

if you need 180's or 160's, i can get them here where i'm at and could send them to you.

franklinair

All things being normal, 180 degrees is ideal coolant temp operating range. Think of the thermostat as a temperature regulator by regulating the coolant flow thru the system. (Closed to block flow & raise temp, modulating from closed to open to regulate the temperature of the coolant @ 180.) I prefer a 3 row radiator although 2 row is OK if you're not running an A/C. For warm, tropical areas a 4 row if running A/C. I prefer a 7psi radiator cap to pressurize the coolant system rather than the typical 14psi cap. The lower pressure is adequate, and is easier on the radiator (it'll last longer with lower pressure).

Neil