• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sequential Turn Signal Kit

BigJim

The wife and I were out recently and she saw a vintage Shelby with the sequential turn signals. Needless the wife decided she really liked the way they looked and now she wants them on her car (the GT/CS is hers). It is my understanding that someone (here?) makes a kit that allows the stock GT/CS turn signals to be converted into sequential turn signals like on a Shelby. I recently replaced the turn signal/horn switch in the steering column and it had two unused wires the manufacturer said were for use with sequential turn signals so I think all I need is from the switch back. I searched the restoration archives and didn't find anything. Does anyone have any information on this?

Mustanger

The wife and I were out recently and she saw a vintage Shelby with the sequential turn signals. Needless the wife decided she really liked the way they looked and now she wants them on her car (the GT/CS is hers). It is my understanding that someone (here?) makes a kit that allows the stock GT/CS turn signals to be converted into sequential turn signals like on a Shelby. I recently replaced the turn signal/horn switch in the steering column and it had two unused wires the manufacturer said were for use with sequential turn signals so I think all I need is from the switch back. I searched the restoration archives and didn't find anything. Does anyone have any information on this?

Big Jim,

The 2 extra wires are probably not for sequential lights:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10716&highlight=turn+signal+switch
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10576&highlight=turn+signal+switch

You may want to see this for sequential lights, Shelby style (dynamite sticks):

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10535&highlight=sequential

Or you may consider the Mustang Project kit which may be cheaper ...

Mustanger

... after reconsidering the original post along with my first link, if the 2 wires are for a T-bird, then it maybe for sequential lighting, but it's probably the T-bird type (1965 mechanical switches?) ...

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

According to the manufacture of the steering column switch (I called him because I didn't know what to do with the extra 2 wires) the switch fits both Mustangs and Birds. He said the two extra wires are not used on a Mustang, they are for sequential turns on the bird. Is there a difference between the sequentials in a GT500 and a Bird? Does the Scott Fuller kit include everything I need to give my wife sequential turns? Is it hard to install?

Mosesatm

According to the manufacture of the steering column switch (I called him because I didn't know what to do with the extra 2 wires) the switch fits both Mustangs and Birds. He said the two extra wires are not used on a Mustang, they are for sequential turns on the bird. Is there a difference between the sequentials in a GT500 and a Bird? Does the Scott Fuller kit include everything I need to give my wife sequential turns? Is it hard to install?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the T-bird use the same system like that used on Cougars.

Last edited:

Mustanger

Here's a vendor who sells the Mustang Project kit less than the manufacturer:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-70-SHELBY-LED-SEQUENTIAL-TURN-SIGNAL-KIT-P2459.aspx

... according to the description, this kit seems simple to install (maybe simpler than the Shelby dynamite sticks) and LEDs use less power ... but the dynamite sticks may be more "period-correct" ...

Mustanger

... Is there a difference between the sequentials in a GT500 and a Bird? ...

... "Original sequencers (also called dynamite sticks) have a cardboard tube. The tube is painted gold. They also have a molded plug that plugs directly into the taillight harness. The sequencers are unique to the 1968 Shelby. Cougars and Thunderbirds used a different mechanism to sequence the tail lights."

(reference: http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Electrical.HTML )

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Here's a vendor who sells the Mustang Project kit less than the manufacturer:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-70-SHELBY-LED-SEQUENTIAL-TURN-SIGNAL-KIT-P2459.aspx

... according to the description, this kit seems simple to install (maybe simpler than the Shelby dynamite sticks) and LEDs use less power ... but the dynamite sticks may be more "period-correct" ...

I like the idea that the kit includes LED replacement bulbs. Has anyone installed this kit and how do you rate the results? Are the LEDs brighter then the stock bulbs and do the lights sequence at the correct rate (I've seen some LEDs that flash super fast)?

Bumblebee

I've installed the kit with LEDs and they are fantastic and really bright which not only looks good but aids with safety due to the great visibility.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

I've installed the kit with LEDs and they are fantastic and really bright which not only looks good but aids with safety due to the great visibility.

Which of the two LED kits listed above did you install?

Mosesatm

That looks like the basic Mustang Project system.
If I remember correctly there is no underdash wiring, other than replacing your flasher with their flasher.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Ok, I ordered the Mustang Project kit. Now can someone tell me where the flasher is located?

franklinair

Behind the instrument cluster.:mad: A PITA to get to. MAYBE, if you're lucky you can remove the ashtray unit and reach in thru there.

Neil

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Last night I finely got around to installing the kit from Mustang Project. The kit was real easy to install (a friend with smaller hands changed the flasher for me). The results are excellent. The LED tail lights are bright and the brake lights will blind you if you look at them when someone hits the brakes (don't ask how I know this). The sequential turn signal affect is really cool. My wife is really happy with it (happy wife, happy life). I would recommend this upgrade even if you don't run the turns in sequential mode. The brightness of the tail/brake lights makes it worth it from a safety standpoint.