• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Has anyone seen stripe or ext paint chip samples on '68 GT/CS trunklid?

obwan93001

Hi all!

I've finally closed the deal on the '68 GT/CS I was whinin' so much about earlier this week and last and had a question on paint or stripe color samples on the portion of the stripe that goes across the edge of the trunklid/spoiler. I'm picking up the car and trailering it home the 150 miles next week so I don't have a pic of what I'm asking about but was just wondering if anyone had seen that before.

There are about 7 or 8 (not really sure of the number though) small square samples all different colors appearing to be the exterior colors that were available and there are two same sets on the RH and LH sides of the trunklid. Just curious. The car still has the original paint and stripes but will need to be repainted as alot of the paint has peeled off down to the primer and there is some surface rust as well. A few of the color samples are missing but I was thinking if it's a bit of a rare thing I'd try to salvage that part of the striping when it's repainted and then try to restore the samples.

I'm starting to feel the rush now and have to make sure I get some sleep every now and then :icon_slee

Thanks for your replies!

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Yep!

Hi there BroadwayBlue!

Yep. Small square samples stuck right on the stripe, one set on each side of the trunklid.

I'm trailering the car home a week from this Sunday, unless I can get some help during the week, and I'll take some pics to post here.

They seem to have been there for a long time and a few have fallen off over the yrs. I'm just curious and it's no big deal but of course my curiousity has been piqued.

Thanks!

BroadwayBlue

Now you have me curious too :confused:

This is on the inside or outside of the car?
You're saying it's on the stripe so I assume the outside.
I can't picture this. Definitley post some pics of this when you can.

Anyone else know what he means? Maybe I'm missing something ... I know it wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last! :grin:

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Finally got my GT/CS and took pics of those paint chips/samples

Hi all,

Sorry it took so long to post pics, just trailered her home last Friday and started checking things out this past weekend. I finally took some pics of the tail lid with those paint samples I mentioned earlier and have inserted them below. Was just curious about them and if they had/held any significance. Thanks for the replies!

Oscar

PIC_0112_wo_license_num.JPG

PIC_0113.JPG

PIC_0114.JPG

J_Speegle

Only thing that comes to mind is an early (before they were available made up) a Rainbow or Gay pride decal

CALIF GIRL

It reminds me of the part of the registration sticker that stays on the paper when you peel the sticker off.

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the site Oscar! It`s great to have you here!
Please post the Marti report and more pics please. If it was a special order car or something the Marti report may tell. Maybe this is how the factory determined the color of stripe with the exterior color of the car? Just a wild guess. Or maybe some kid felt artistic with his model paint on Daddy`s car?

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Lol

They do look like part of old reg stickers but the material is more like paint chips and all appear to be the same age though.

Maybe they were put on when Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was released back in, dare I age meself, '72 I stink. Was a wee lad of 9 when it came out so just barely recall although I've since owned a few copies on vinyl and just one in the sturdier CD format.

Hmmmmm, mystery continues.... Maybe I need another Scooby-snack or two....

"Scooby-doobie-doooooo!!!! Where are yoooooouuuuuu!!!!!!" :grin:

Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Wow I have no idea what that is or was meant to be.

I don't believe it's paint chips though. The coloring might be bad but I don't think all the colors even match. There were a number of blues for example, Acapulco, Brittany, Turquoise, Gulfstream Aqua, etc

What did the previous owner have for an explanation on this?

Does it look like reflective tape? Maybe for visibility at night?

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Here's a copy of the Marti on her...

No special order mentioned in basic report. I'll be upgrading to the Deluxe version now that I have the car but I don't think that'll reveal anymore info relative to the color chips though.

MartiReportFax050707.JPG

Many thanks to those who've replied so far! Darn curiousity has me know though......

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Doesn't appear to be reflective....

Hi BroadwayBlue,

A few of the pics I took yesterday were with the flash enabled on my camcorder and I didn't see any reflection of the flash come off of them however. I shined a light on them a few mins ago and no reflection although any reflective material could possibly have worn off with age. I agree in regards to them not seeming to be the available color choices for '68 either when I compare to the available colors. The paint, what's left of it, is original from what we can tell. PO didn't know anything about them as he only had it for a couple of weeks before daddy made him sell it. I do have the pink slip and current registration with name and addy of the person the son bought it from so maybe I'll send him a note asking what he knows. The glove compartment did however contain the original owners manual, only manual though, with the original owner's name and addy as well as that of the dealership in Huntington Park, CA although I tend to venture that dealership is most likely no longer around. I grew up 50 mi from Los Angeles and still live in the vicinity and do not ever recall seeing that dealer's name mentioned on any of the Los Angeles TV and radio stations I've watched and listened to in the past 40 some odd yrs.

I sincerely hope no one is banging their head against their desk or wall trying to help me with this as it's not that important but you all know how curiousity can get the best of us all.

Oscar

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

If it was indeed something done in the factory or by the dealer, then it is very important to us to know why. The history of the GT/CS must be preserved.

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

I totally and wholeheartedly agree

Being a bit of a history buff is a big reason I brought it up and would like to find out too. They definately appear to be about the age of the car itself so all the more reason to find if there is any signifacance to our GT/CS's history.

I Yellow Book'd the original dealer's address in Huntington Park, CA and found Sopp Ford Truck dealship at the same street number but what appears to be a renamed portion of Pacific Bl, possibly now called South Alameda St? On a map it appears to be the same street as Pacific Bl. I sent a general email to that dealer asking if they were once Taylor-Slatin Ford and if they had any historical paperwork/info available from the old dealer. I know it's a long shot but worth the few mins in exchanging emails to find out. I'll keep y'all posted on any info I receive.

I'll be entering mine in the registry in the coming days as I want to gather notes for many of the answers about the car asked in the registry so as to be as concise as possible.

Thanks!

Oscar

CALIF GIRL

If they are really rainbow or GP stickers then they'll be the first things off of her, even before I tear apart the suspension! Sorry, I hope I don't offend anyone and if so I hope they understand.

If you think you are offending someone why even say it, and why would someone understand being offended?

A rainbow is a rainbow, the only thing that makes a rainbow sticker a gay pride sticker is the way people think about that rainbow sticker.

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Boy, is this a strange thread.

It's not a gay pride rainbow sticker, because the colors are not lined up like a real rainbow....

It's not '68 Paint chips, because that orange, and the one on the left end aren't stock colors.

The DMV sticker idea is a good one; they could be old and no longer reflective. They look about the right size. People putting on the DMV stickers could be applying the extra piece like a "collection" of sorts.

But my best guess is that it's just some kid goofin around with stickers. Once in a while I see stuff like this on cars on the freeeway--and it makes you wonder??? LOL!! Maybe you have a GT/CS "art car"?? (Google-Image "Art Car") LOL...

On another note--that trunklid has problems. It sits too high on the rear--as it contacts the rear edge of the trunk well. This is common. It's the fiberglass frame under the trunklid separating from the top. It requires cleaning up the original glue, then with clamps, re-glueing the frame to the trunklid top. Some of these "unaligned" trunklids end up with the stripes applied "wrong", because they are applied when they sit too high like this.

Then again....your car could be part of an old "secret society", and you could be spotted on the road..and...and....who knows what could happen?? Uh-OH!! AAHH!!

Paul N.