• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ADMIN Is it still worth making a wall calendar this year?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I know it sounds crazy, but it's already that time of year again to start collecting photos for the CS.com wall calendar. But last year we barely got enough entries to fill all 12 months.

So my question is, do we still want to do one this year? I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then find out we don't have enough photos.

What does everyone think? If we are still doing one I need to start collecting photos late this week.

Ruppstang

Dad and I will make one if it is decided we are doing one this year. I hope we do make one, our refrigerator just would not look right with out the GTCS calendar on it.
Marty

stangfan

I always enjoy the contest, and plan on submitting a picture if you are doing one. Having said that, if it is like pulling teeth to get enough submissions, maybe it's time to skip a year.

gtcs1

Hi,

Personnaly I am quite interested.

To gauge the interest of the group, I'd be curious to know how many calendar are being bought, like for last year ( the clendar year 2017)?

Thanks

gtcs1

franklinair

I enjoy the calender each year.
(This year, all I could submit would be 'a work in progress' photo.):sad:

Neil

Powell

My whole family looks forward to their Christmas GT/CS calendars. Hope we have one this year.

Edward Bodoh

Projects in progress photos would be so cool. If we barely get enough then why vote...every one should get in. Me and my bro enjoy the calendar. Thanks for making them.

hatchdog

My car was in the 2017 calendar while still owned by franklinair. I would be happy to send in a picture but would defer to others of course. Let me know please.

Mike

BigJim

I submitted our car a couple of years ago but was rejected. Therefore we don't buy the calendar so it doesn't matter to us if there is a calendar for next year.

Ruppstang

I submitted our car a couple of years ago but was rejected. Therefore we don't buy the calendar so it doesn't matter to us if there is a calendar for next year.

There can only be 12 that are voted in. You should go out and get a nice shot of your car and try again. It is really special to be selected so keep trying it is worth it.
Marty

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
BigJim,

Sorry if you felt you were rejected. Your photo wasn't voted into the top 12, but still was included in the calendar as Jan of 2013. As I recall the photo you submitted was in front of a big water tank, correct? I think you didn't get as many votes because your car was a very small part of the photo. The water tank took up 80% of the image.

As Marty said, please do take some more photos and give it another try this year.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
To gauge the interest of the group, I'd be curious to know how many calendar are being bought, like for last year ( the calendar year 2017)?
About 60 calendars were purchased last year. (2017 calendars)

BigJim

BigJim,

Sorry if you felt you were rejected. Your photo wasn't voted into the top 12, but still was included in the calendar as Jan of 2013. As I recall the photo you submitted was in front of a big water tank, correct? I think you didn't get as many votes because your car was a very small part of the photo. The water tank took up 80% of the image.

As Marty said, please do take some more photos and give it another try this year.

The picture was not a water tank. It's the restored silo at the old Meadowdale International Raceway (a half mile from my house).

Meadowdale International Raceway was a 3 1/4 mile track and hosted Chicago-land SCCA racing back in the late '50s and the '60s. The track is best know for the "Monza Wall" a tight 45 degree banked, 180 degree curve (the steepest banked curve at the time) that dumped racers out onto the 3/4 mile front straight (the longest straight at the time). The track was a technical track (narrow lanes, lots of curves and hills and vary few run offs) that was unforgiving and required serious driving skills to safely negotiate (a racer was killed in an opening day race, earning it the nickname "Killer"). Sadly the track was unable to loose the "killer" label and lost the battle with Road America as host to Chicago-land SCCA racing and closed. The track sat abandoned until 2002 when it became a county forest preserve. The silo is the only structure that remains of the track. The infield bridge, Monza Wall and other stuctures were leveled shortly after the county took control of the property. Quite a bit of the actual track, including the front straight, remain, though overgrown, and are now hiking and biking trails. The track is open for a car show the second Saturday of September with the front straight and the remains of the Monza Wall being used to park show cars.

So please, don't insult a piece of automotive racing by calling it a water tank.

The left pic is the silo (background of my pic) from back in the day. The right pic is the front straight as it looks now.

Attachments

• meadowdaleSilo.jpeg
    meadowdaleSilo.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 44
  • meadowdaleStraight.jpg
    meadowdaleStraight.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 32

lenta

Projects in progress photos would be so cool. I agree, why always a "showcar" . If it is a CS or HCS...why not.

Tequila

Jon,
I would like to personally thank you putting together the calendar. I know you are you are not doing it for the $$ so that makes it even more appreciative. I still have my 2015 calendar at my work desk and it is a great conversation piece. Hopefully I will get a chance to enter my car next year.