• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Welding/Metal table ?'s

hookedtrout

To preface my questions, I'm building a welding table, it will be 3' high (already cut the legs) and I don't do a lot of welding or metal work just hobby stuff and I need a place to mount my vice and a bench grinder. I have some scrap metal for the legs and braces which is heavy stuff so it will work perfect. I have to buy the plate so the minimum without being a pain is what I want here and I'm not limited on space in the shop, I have plenty of room.

Now on to my questions;

Suggestions on depth, I'm thinking 3' 6"
Suggestions on length, I'm thinking 4' to 5'
Suggestions on thickness of plate for the top?
Any other suggestions?

I realize it's not rocket science but I'd like to get some input on what you guys have experienced? Thanks for any advice.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

That's much more $$ than I was planning, I have some scrap channel iron that I've cut for the legs and now I'm deciding what size to cut the rest and make a frame for the legs then I'm going to put a 1/2" plate on top, more to have a place to grind, put my vice and mount a bench grinder. Now if you have a couple of spare platen tables I'll certainly come take one off your hands. ;-)