• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Underside of Decklid

Do any of you GT/CS owners have pictures or can take on of the underside of you decklid? I am about to buy one, but it looks like a cheaply made reproduction. Did the original lid have a frame just like the non-shelbyl 68 decklid, or was it different? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks,
Kevin Kersey

StraightSix

The original decklid does have a frame, also made of fiberglass. Both the the main decklid and the frame are die-stamped fiberglass,however, so they're totally smooth. You can't see any of the fibers on their surfaces.

-Winston

68sunlitgold

yoyoyo,
Here is a pic of the trunk lid underside. It should look just like the underside of a regular metal trunklid. I hope this helps you.
Doug

Attachments

• JJtrunklid.jpg
    JJtrunklid.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 27

StraightSix

And as a contrast, here's what it shouldn't look like (though mine is a pretty good reproduction):

Attachments

• trunkclose.jpg
    trunkclose.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 151

68sunlitgold

yoyoyo,
if you can not see the difference, I realize my picture is from far away, but the bottom should be smooth and as you can see in straightsix's you should not see what looks like fiberglass fibers, is should be smooth. I hope that make it clear.

Winston,
do you know where your trunklid came from?
Doug

StraightSix

No idea... the previous owner told me everything was original :mad: ... that was before I knew a lot about GT/CS's. I had emailed him (the car was on eBay) asking about specific GT/CS parts and he assured me they were all original. I won the auction, he drove the car to me, and I paid him. He also gave me a copy of the 1996 Registry, and over the next day or two I read it and discovered several fake/incorrect parts that were ones I specifically asked about. We had some words and he ended up refunding me a good bit of money.

Anyway, the trunk lid's an excellent copy... the only giveaway is the visible fibers. Everything else (top, sides, frame) looks like it should. I do know that my end caps are original because I've pulled them and they are smooth all over. I suspect that my tail panel and side scoops are original, but I don't know for sure because I haven't pulled them. I do wish I knew who made the trunklid, because it could be a great repro part for the GT/CS. It could even be made to look correct with thin layer of bondo or gel coat over the fibers.

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
As far as I have heard Branda has the best, I have not really heard from any one else on other producers but have noticed most other's always have the statement that says, "like most reproduction fiberglass, some fitting maybe needed". Makes you question the quality :-\
Doug