• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Tracing our 1966 Columbine Blue HCS

Colorado Christlieb

While driving back from Central City, Colorado a couple weeks ago with my mother (went up there to view our ancestors in the local cemetery), we got to talking about our 1966 Ford Mustang High Country Special. I was only 7 years old at the time, and I remember going down to the Marsh-Wimbush dealership one August afternoon in 1966. How exciting it was that my parents were going to buy a new car! Not just any car, but the highly popular Mustang! I remember a whole row of the light blue beauties all lined up in pristine condition, and I remember a couple of the, what we now call, the Aspen Gold. I remember my dad coming out of the dealership along with the dealer who was holding a bunch of papers. The dealer walked down the row of Columbine Blue Mustangs, trying to locate the one that matched his paperwork. He jumped into one of them, brought it up to the front of the dealership where we standing, and said "here's your car sir!" My mother drove our other car home (1963 Fiat), and I got to ride with my father in our new Mustang. How exciting, brand spanking new, and that new car smell that you only get for a little while. We had that Mustang for many years. We towed a motorcycle trailer and a snowmobile trailer with that car. In November of each year, I’d go back to Kansas with my father to go pheasant hunting. We’d drive that car all over western Kansas and in the 1973 my dad let me drive. I was only 14 years old, but hey, it was Kansas. I drove that car for three straight days through the Kansas countryside. In 1975, when I got my first driver’s license, I drove the Mustang for my driver’s test. Everybody told me I was crazy for driving a three speed and using a clutch, and that you should take the test with an automatic transmission. But hey, after driving in Kansas and owning a motorcycle, I passed the test with ease. A sad day came on one summer afternoon in 1978. My mother came home with a new 1978 Oldsmobile Starfire. I asked, “What happened to the Mustang?” I was told that she traded it in for her new car. She was happy that she got 500 bucks for a twelve year old car. I called Hottman Chevrolet in Brighton, CO to get the car back, only to be told that, one hour after my mother traded in it, a local came in and bought our Mustang. The Mustang was gone. We now only have a few photos, which you can view in my gallery. Thanks for letting me share my story. I knew you guys on this forum would enjoy it. Now that I’m 50 years old, maybe another Mustang might pop up for me to buy. But nothing will ever match that 6 cylinder, 3 speed, Columbine Blue, High Country Special!

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Great story! It's cool that you had that new car experiance with a HCS. I think you should keep your current project as stock as possible, because thats the car you fell in love with. There are pleanty of less valuable mustangs to modify. Marty MCA 38812

Mustanglvr

Great story! It's cool that you had that new car experiance with a HCS. I think you should keep your current project as stock as possible, because thats the car you fell in love with. There are pleanty of less valuable mustangs to modify. Marty MCA 38812

You're thinking of "Mustanggirl" Marty. I think she's the one that just bought the 66 HCS on Ebay not too long ago. :smile:

Ruppstang

Rhonda,
You are right. Sorry ColoradoChristlieb still a great story. Best of luck on your search.
Marty

OP
OP
Colorado Christlieb

Colorado Christlieb

Steve,
Looks like the one either sold on your link, or was pulled down. It no longer listed. I might have to have hicountrybob check into check into how many six cylinders are still out there. Doing a little research, there's a guy in North Platte, NE that had one at one time or still does.

--Jeff Christlieb

mustanggirl

You're thinking of "Mustanggirl" Marty. I think she's the one that just bought the 66 HCS on Ebay not too long ago. :smile:

Your are right I just bought a 66 HCS on Ebay, but it is a 289 not a six. It would have been neat if ColoradoCristlieb was the original owner. I am currently trying to contact the last person hicountrybob had listed as the owner of mine to see what history I can find. But haven't had any luck.

OP
OP
Colorado Christlieb

Colorado Christlieb

Finding a VIN number with a license plate number

Mustanggirl, you have me curious; can you find a VIN # of a vehicle if you have a 36 year old license plate #? I mean, does Colorado keep records of automobiles for this long? My mother may have the records for our 66 Mustang, has she was very meticulous. But while she is searching, I'm hoping to maybe find our old Mustang, if it’s still around and the records are available.