• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question on when to get alignment

HappyHour

Hey guys...so just couple weeks ago I got all new tires all around (235 60s). Before getting the new tires I got the front suspension deluxe kit done and alignment in SoCal before driving it up.

I was going to take it in for re-alignment after these new set of tires but when I called "R" Mustangs of SF (65-73) for local place they said that you dont really need an alignment even with new tires all around.

The issue was I had the front end bouncing off straight on freeway with the older worn tires. Since replacing tires they feel good but havent taken it back on the freeway which Ill prolly do later this afternoon.

Any feedback on if an alignment is really needed on the 68? Unfortunately the shop in SoCal is independent. Thanks!

sam

That doesn't make sense to me. I've had mine aligned right after getting new tires on. I say, have an alignment.
Sam

Midnight Special

...Maybe I'm the one missing something, but getting new tires doesn't mandate getting the alignment done.

Robert, you had the deluxe kit installed and aligned.

You say: "bouncing off straight on freeway" - what does that mean??
Bouncing due to out of balance (old tires) or some form of wandering?

Anyway - Get her on the freeway & see what happens. If there is any doubt, get the alignment checked. After that - you'll need to do a 145 mile test drive to Grass Valley for lunch!

;-)

Timmknz

I would

I would (Sorry, I am opinionated and won't use IMHO :))- if the aligment was performed with your "old bouncy tires" especially of a different size, the new tire profile (Nice new even tread and shoulders of the tire VS. unevenly worn tread/shoulders) will change the camber and caster. If you don't adjust the suspension/steering to the new tire profile, it will effect handling and wear in a negative way.

rvrtrash

I always get an alignment when I buy new tires. However, I can't ever remember getting an alignment just before buying tires, so can't say for sure how that would work. The old alignment process measured part of the alignment from a plate the tire sat on, so worn or uneven tires would throw it off. I believe the new way measures from the wheel itself, with lasers and a computer, so I imagine the tire would be less of a factor. If it was done the new way, I'd drive it and see, although $60.00 for a 4 way alignment is cheap insurance against tire wear.

Steve

Midnight Special

...As a side note: I've replaced more tires on these cars due to damage from sitting vs tread wear. Flat spots on radials, cracked siewalls, etc...

I miss the old days of driving enough to wear 'em down the tread bars ;-)

GTCS95616

If your old tires that were on the car when the alignment was done were worn very unevenly, I would consider getting an alignment with the new tires on the vehicle.

What you describe as the car bouncing off straight with the old tires on the freeway could be the characteristics of bias ply tires (non-radial ply tires). Bias ply tires were very unforgiving when it came to tracking in a straight line when you encountered issues in the paved surface of the roadway, suchas grooved pavement. Were your old tires bias ply tires?

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Hey guys....great information. And yes my very diagnostic "bouncing in a straight line" was in reference to it tracking off on the freeway after hitting slight bump or grooves.

Im not sure if they were biased but Im guessing they must have been pretty old as the car was sitting for couple years so getting new rubber on it was probably the best step to getting this issue resolved.

When I got the car aligned I should have paid attention if it was the plate align that would be affected by work or neg camber tires versus the laser from the mid of the wheel. makes senses but the wheels were pulled so no harm in getting it again.

Im gonna drop it off for alignment just after I take it on the freeway for test drive. Everything can be sorted with a lil cruise!

And I have known to drive 4 hours for a good burrito Tim so dont tempt me. Ill meet ya at Ikeadas?? :grin:

Always amazed on the knowledge and info from this site!! Thanks everyone for their feedback. :wink:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm a couple days late to this thread, but I'll throw in my vote to get the alignment checked. Unless your old tires were really worn (as several have pointed out) it probably won't be out of alignment again, but it's cheap insurance compared to premature wear on that new set of rubber.

When you get it aligned post back on whether it needed any adjustment or was just fine as it sits.

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Hey guys finally got the last word on the alignment. (Sorry was outta town).

Took to Larkin Bros Tire in SF today that a Mustang shop recommended and they were great. Only 20 bucks for the check and $75 to get it aligned if out. Guys there couple older Mustangs convertible and reminisced about all the CalSPecials he used to see back in the day.

Anyways turned out tires were pretty off. Specified range for the front left was .13 - .38. It was -2.17!! And the right side was off as well but not as bad.

The Toe was off as much as -2.42 which should be only .50. Not sure if these numbers mean much to everyone but I guess it was pretty bad.

The drive is very smooth now and feel good. So kids lesson for the day remember if you swap your tires always get the alignment. That and eat your veggies. Okay thats two... :grin: