• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Another Cal Special spotted in Sacramento area

Sarge

So I'm going into my local gas station tonight, and as I come out I see a red Cal Special at the pumps. The gentleman driving is in his car talking on his cell phone, and I mouth the words "I have a California Special too". He ends his conversation, and gets out and we talk about the cars for about 10 minutes.

It seems he has owned this car for over 30 years, handed it down to his daughter and his son as a car to drive while in school (lucky kids), and is now driving it occasionally. He lives in the Roseville area, northeast of Sacramento. The Special is very clean and straight, with a nice paint job, 289 and automatic, center console, Lucas fog lamps, and that is about it for the options.

He has a cracked lens on one of his fog lamps and has been somewhat looking to replace the lens. I mentioned this site as a place where he ought to visit and check in, and maybe someone can direct him to where he can get a replacement.

Anyway, I just had to run home and get the story out. Renee would be proud of me! :grin:

Robert

aemoo28

You know, one of the amazing things I noticed while I was attempting to pull my CS out of California. I NEVER spotted another 68 CS. Never. In the land they were born in too.

So Robert, good for you! You get that Special!

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Thanks Arlie, I was telling the owner what a great site this was, and how I was sure someone here could point him in the right direction. Now all he has to do is visit.

Robert

Midnight Special

Way to go Sarge! The one Renee chased down was a long-time owner from Roseville area as well :)

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8814

Amy, Aside from a mother / daughter here in Grass Valley in a red w/ black top, I never see them driving around either. Once in awhile a friend will say they spotted one that wasn't mine... It's neat how the exposure has our good friends watching and mentioning other sightings with enthusiasm :) I always grill them on color, stripes and tail lights... and they're getting better about spotting the details. Our UPS driver who's a Chevy guy is among the best!

hookedtrout

Way to go Sarge! The one Renee chased down was a long-time owner from Roseville area as well :)

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8814

Amy, Aside from a mother / daughter here in Grass Valley in a red w/ black top, I never see them driving around either. Once in awhile a friend will say they spotted one that wasn't mine... It's neat how the exposure has our good friends watching and mentioning other sightings with enthusiasm :) I always grill them on color, stripes and tail lights... and they're getting better about spotting the details. Our UPS driver who's a Chevy guy is among the best!

I think anyone that visits your house on a regular basis would become an excellent CS spotter, be hard to get them out of your head, like a song you can't quit singing.

Midnight Special

I think anyone that visits your house on a regular basis would become an excellent CS spotter, be hard to get them out of your head, like a song you can't quit singing.

...Well, there's little more rewarding than the casual gatherings and symposiums that are along the lines of your book, Cory! You set the table for a wonderful "California Special Way of Life"! Now with kind hearted ambassadors like Robert & Renee, we'll go a long way to insure "GT/CS" is here to stay!

PonyGal

So I'm going into my local gas station tonight, and as I come out I see a red Cal Special at the pumps. The gentleman driving is in his car talking on his cell phone, and I mouth the words "I have a California Special too". He ends his conversation, and gets out and we talk about the cars for about 10 minutes.

It seems he has owned this car for over 30 years, handed it down to his daughter and his son as a car to drive while in school (lucky kids), and is now driving it occasionally. He lives in the Roseville area, northeast of Sacramento. The Special is very clean and straight, with a nice paint job, 289 and automatic, center console, Lucas fog lamps, and that is about it for the options.

He has a cracked lens on one of his fog lamps and has been somewhat looking to replace the lens. I mentioned this site as a place where he ought to visit and check in, and maybe someone can direct him to where he can get a replacement.

Anyway, I just had to run home and get the story out. Renee would be proud of me! :grin:

Robert

Hey Robert,

The guy's name wasn't Mark was it?? If so, it is the same one I spotted a few months ago. If not, there is a new one out there and it is great to know that. Don't see them very often, but when we do it is so good to chat with a fellow owner.

Did you tell the guy about this website and ask him to come out and join us? You didn't happen to get any pictures did you?

Midnight Special

Very well, Mike. 'Mystery solved... I also remember Renee chasing down & speaking with another copper/gold CS owner near Folsom about a year ago...

(neat! 'almost twins;-)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 41
  • gld.jpg
    gld.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

obwan93001

That is so cool you guys run into other CS an HCS cars out there. I'm in SoCal and last time I saw another CS other than mine was at the 40th gathering at Galpin a few yrs ago. Did I say I am in SoCal? I know Dave Athans is in the SFV and Doug is in Valencia and I recall someone saying there was a CS in Oxnard but I've not seen any on the road or anywhere else, guess I need to get out more eh. With the global interest in these cars I suppose they are just so spread out around the world, oh yea and a small number of them in Tim's stable. :wink:

Oscar

Midnight Special

Oscar, what makes it interesting to me are the ones you catch who don't belong to any clubs, don't know or care about a registry, are gracious about invitation but don't join the group.... yet, they have been passionate long-term owners who still love their cars as though they picked 'em up from their dealers yesterday! And for the same reasons as people who bought them in 1968. They are the quiet private & types living their individual dreams with no apparent desire to be "corralled" into competition, comparison and car,car,car..., but instead light up like Christmas trees when the conversation diverts to kindred experiences common with original thought. I can honestly respect that having talked to a few of them, while being reminded once again that it's people who make them "Special"... Not the other way around.

In that regard (as with other classics), there will always be GT/CSs running around that we'll collectively know very little about, but for the chance encounter and brief and pleasant moments...

somethingspecial

Oscar, what makes it interesting to me are the ones you catch who don't belong to any clubs, don't know or care about a registry, are gracious about invitation but don't join the group.... yet, they have been passionate long-term owners who still love their cars as though they picked 'em up from their dealers yesterday! And for the same reasons as people who bought them in 1968. They are the quiet private & types living their individual dreams with no apparent desire to be "corralled" into competition, comparison and car,car,car..., but instead light up like Christmas trees when the conversation diverts to kindred experiences common with original thought. I can honestly respect that having talked to a few of them, while being reminded once again that it's people who make them "Special"... Not the other way around.

In that regard (as with other classics), there will always be GT/CSs running around that we'll collectively know very little about, but for the chance encounter and brief and pleasant moments...

I agree Tim. There are so many owners out there who don't care about clubs or registering their car, and more power to them. Their Special is what they care about and enjoy driving them. I remember when Renee chased down the other copper car. With the two photos together, it does look like they are twins. WOW. Mike

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Hey Robert,

The guy's name wasn't Mark was it?? If so, it is the same one I spotted a few months ago. If not, there is a new one out there and it is great to know that. Don't see them very often, but when we do it is so good to chat with a fellow owner.

Did you tell the guy about this website and ask him to come out and join us? You didn't happen to get any pictures did you?

Hey Renee,

I believe his name was Mark. I did tell him of the site, kinda hoped he would have looked in by now, mebbe not.

Anyway, what building will your car be in this weekend at the car show? I plan on attending with a couple of friends, and want to make sure I stop by.

Later,
Robert

PonyGal

Hey Renee,

I believe his name was Mark. I did tell him of the site, kinda hoped he would have looked in by now, mebbe not.

Anyway, what building will your car be in this weekend at the car show? I plan on attending with a couple of friends, and want to make sure I stop by.

Later,
Robert

Hey Robert,

Glad you got to meet Mark. He is a really nice guy!! Him and his wife Rose are not very "computer savvy" so he had trouble registering on the website. I had left him a message to call me so I could help him, but I never heard back. I do have his number, so I may just try again :smile:

As for the AutoRama, I am not sure yet where I will be. As of today, I still have not gotten my "package" with my registration info. I called them today to find out what is going on, and they told me that they will have something waiting for me at "will call" tomorrow when I get there. So, tomorrow night, I will let you know where I will be located at the show.