• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Under body color

x-codegtcs

Anyone out there with an original GT/CS that could verify the underbody color? We have a local debate going on on this subject. I am pretty sure that the Dearborn and Metuchen underbodies were painted black or oxide (?) but there is some thought that the San Jose plant painted the underbody the original color of the car with the weld seam/joint below the rocker and rear qtr panel painted black. We do not know anyone with an unrestored car in good enough condition to tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GTCSMustang

I have 3 California Specials, 2 are unrestored. I also have an unrestored 1968 Shelby Mustang. The California Specials have red oxide on the underside with a blacked-out pinch weld. The Shelby is the same way. It apprears that the order of paint was red oxide, then body color (some overspray on bottom of car), then black pinch weld (some overspray on bottom of car). I have heard that dark color cars did not have the pinch weld blacked out. My unrestored car colors are red, gold and white.