• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Which are the stock wheels/hub caps on the California Special?

Jimmyvegas

I'm in the process of buying a Californial Special. I'm being extra cautious to research and purchase an original and am noticing a difference in the hub caps/wheels on the Californial Special.

For example, there is the GT hub cap with the GT logo on it as is shown here:

ford-mustang-gt-cs-(1968).png

Or there's the version with the basic hub cap with no logo here:

DSC09811.jpg

I was just wondering which it came stock with?

I was also curious. In researching it seems to be common knowledge that the California Special on came in the coupe however, in reading I've found that the California Special could be ordered in any option combination. If this is true, are there such a thing as a California Special fastback or a convertible?

Thanks in advance,

JV

:cool:

Midnight Special

Welcome JV!
Both hubcaps you show were among the options for the GT/CS. The cars were also produced as coupes only with the "option combination" (engine, drivetrain, interior, GT package, etc, etc...) same as any 1968 Mustang coupe.

hookedtrout

No fastbacks and no convertibles were made, at least that is the evidence thus far and there isn't any indication that there were. As for the wheels you could get about any combination available in 68, the GT cap was a part of the GT package. Being a GT/CS didn't mean it had the GT package, the GT package was an option that some CS cars had and others didn't.

Cory

Mosesatm

The styled steel wheels in both those photos were extra-cost options.

Standard issue was either the dog dish cap or the full wheel cover. Maybe someone else knows for sure which wheel cap or cover was standard.

CougarCJ

Did you mean to post in the 1966-67 HCS section?

Neither of your examples of styled steel wheels would apply to 1966-67 HCS's. Just the 1968 GT/CS and HCS, optionally as mentioned above.

franklinair

If you are buying a C/S or HCS the first thing you should get is a Marti Report to verify it's authenticity. It will also list the options on the car @ the time of manufacture (engine, transmission, GT option, etc.).
The wheel/hubcap options were:
Plain wheels (body color) with small hubcaps
Plain wheels (body color) with full hubcaps
Plain wheels (body color) with Deluxe hubcaps
Argent Styled Steel Wheels, plain center cap w/trimrings (non GT)
I'm not sure if the chrome wheels were '68. I know they were available on '69 Mustangs.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

My GT/CS shows Chrome Wheels as an option on the car on both the window sticker and Marti.

Scott

OP
OP
J

Jimmyvegas

Did you mean to post in the 1966-67 HCS section?

Neither of your examples of styled steel wheels would apply to 1966-67 HCS's. Just the 1968 GT/CS and HCS, optionally as mentioned above.

My apologies as I did post in the wrong area. However, you were all so kind as to answer my questions and give some great information and advice.

Many thanks to all!

JV

:cool: