• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What should I save from junk GT/CS

harryz

Aloha everyone.

I have a garage queen '68 GT/CS that eventually will see the light of day.

I also have a VERY rusted out '68 GT/CS that I've been taking parts off of. But, the time has come to get the Rustang out of the driveway and I'd like some advice on what would be worth saving. I'm in Hawaii, so while I can purchase anything you folks can purchase, the cost of shipping them here is just stupid high - ergo: what CS specific parts should I save..

The Rustang is a real GT/CS with 302-4V (original to the car!) and auto trans. Deluxe interior with A/C. Power brakes, power steering.

Here's what I've already taken off the Rustang:
- Front disk brakes
- 9" rear end
- trunk lid
- tail lights

Not planning on taking the grille or fog lights (smashed), or the side scoops (bad reproductions). Feel free to correct me if these items are worth saving.

I'm mostly interested in knowing what are the unique-to-GT/CS parts that remain. I'm assuming these are on the list, but please add to it:
- Fog light switch and associated wiring (is there a mounting bracket)?
- Rear tail light harness

Everything else is a trade-off between how big is it (e.g.: engine and tranny) and how hard would it be to purchase if I ever need it.

Mahalo for your input,

Harry Z.

jokerhill

Steering wheel, if it is a tilt away column every part of that is valuable. interior consul dash if it has a tach or clock.

robert campbell

The hood lock receptacles. The hood locks. Tail light panel and the wiring harness from front to back as you mentioned. The fog light switch and fog light resistor mounted on the fuse box.

You mention that it has a 9 inch rear end. If so and it was a J code then it must have had the GT option. If so it had dual exhaust. So the exhaust hangers have value that bolt to the floor pan in front of the rear end. It should also have the additional welded shock towers that mark this option. A pic of the front of the shock tower will help.

If this is a true GT/CS car with the GT option and 9 inch rear it is a very valuable GT/CS! Guys in the East such as Marty Rupp have resurrected many a rusty car. you may want to stop the part out and send pics. What you think is very rusty in Hawaii may be a restorable project in the Mid West and the East! you may have a very desirable restoration project.

Rob

Mosesatm

Please post the VIN so Mike can show it as being disassembled in the registry.
Thanks

Edward Bodoh

Hawaiian CS

Howzit Harry.....

Off the topic but what island are you? Just came back from Maui. We usually vaca on the Big Island once a year....like to see the cs sometime depending on the isl. I own a meadowlark cs...plan on retiring in hawaii soon and shipping my cs there as well. Got any pics of the garage queen? How far along is the resto?

ED

Mosesatm

The metal caps that cover the tail light holes.
Tail light screws, tail light panel screws

mbsf1970

Its unclear whether grille is smashed or only for lights---as per your sentence.
If grille is not smashed then definitely worth keeping----written by a non-stock grille owner!
Stephen.

jokerhill

Actually Lucas changed from BS (British Standard) nuts and bolts, to Metric around that time. I don't know specifics on the fog lights for 68' fords but I have worked on other British cars (Jag and MG) and know these bolts and nuts don't match anything available. So broken lights may have value to someone here for the correct BS stuff.

CaliStang68

Aloha Friday Harry Z!
Post some Pics, its easier to see and respond to your question.

classicsguy

The hood lock receptacles. The hood locks. Tail light panel and the wiring harness from front to back as you mentioned. The fog light switch and fog light resistor mounted on the fuse box.

You mention that it has a 9 inch rear end. If so and it was a J code then it must have had the GT option. If so it had dual exhaust. So the exhaust hangers have value that bolt to the floor pan in front of the rear end. It should also have the additional welded shock towers that mark this option. A pic of the front of the shock tower will help.

If this is a true GT/CS car with the GT option and 9 inch rear it is a very valuable GT/CS! Guys in the East such as Marty Rupp have resurrected many a rusty car. you may want to stop the part out and send pics. What you think is very rusty in Hawaii may be a restorable project in the Mid West and the East! you may have a very desirable restoration project.

Rob

I agree with Rob 100%

OP
OP
H

harryz

Aloha everyone,

My apologies for not responding sooner. I assumed that I would get an email notice when there were replies, but I did not. (Just figured out how to turn that on). Also had to immerse myself in taxes. Still trying to catch up on sleep from that.

For now, a few ransom responses.

- Right now it's raining like crazy, will post pictures when it clears up.

- I have thought that some of you folks who have so much more skills at restoration than I do might be interested. But... it's around $1000 to ship a running and registered vehicle to the west coast. This car has not been registered for many many years. No idea if I will have to get it registered (or how to do this) before i can ship it to the mainland.

- I am in Kailua, on the island of Oahu (NOT Kailua-Kona on the Big Island)

- I don't think it's a tilt-steering column. If it's not a tilt column, is the steering wheei still something worthwhile to save? The Rustang has the deluxe interior (in really bad shape) and my car is a standard interior.

Mahalo,

Harry Z