• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Coil Issue

PFSlim

Anyone ever had a coil go bad and when the engine gets warm, the engine runs bad (backfires, shakes, etc) But, when you first start, the engine runs smooth?

Wondering if that is my issue on my cobra and looking to see if anyone else had this experience.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Ruppstang

Paul,
I would check your vacuum advance. Had trouble with my son Travis's 68. Marty

mmarsalone

Anyone ever had a coil go bad and when the engine gets warm, the engine runs bad (backfires, shakes, etc) But, when you first start, the engine runs smooth?

Wondering if that is my issue on my cobra and looking to see if anyone else had this experience.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Yes, I have. Years ago I restored a Triumph Spitfire and the first coil I used did this exact thing. I had o wait for the coil / car to cool down before I could make it home. I don't remember what brand, it was too long ago. Seems as though I figured out the cause quickly, but again, I don't remember why.

carezcs

Had the same thing happen to our boat. Sitting out in the middle of a lake for 30-60 minutes without beer sucked! The bottom recess on our coil bulged out when this happened. Was told the carbon core was cracked and separated when it got hot leading to no spark . Thought it was gas issues all the time. Took the coil off my truck and no more problems!
Bruce

green56

coil

we had the same problem my son had the car we were going to a show he got 3 miles from home calls me so looked at every thing after a while everything cooled down and we got the car started got it to the shop and put in a new coil that was 3 years ago. And it is still running and it was not brandnew it was used so i would just change the coil good luck

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Thanks for all the posts. I have ordered a Pertronix Ignition II and a Pertronix Coil II for my cobra and hope to install today. This will get me away from points, condensor, and ballist resistor. Hopefully, the new setup will get me back up and running and improve my performance as well. (up and running would be really nice!!)

Thanks again for all the posts.

Paul