• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

taillight install

66 Dearborn HCS

I picked up a set of 65 t-bird taillight assemblies off Ebay for a song. I replaced the "bird" lenses with the plain lenses (another $10 on Ebay) ;D. Now how do I install them? This was originally all one assembly and has to be seperated to work on the 'Stang tail panel. I know the bucket goes on the inside, and the bezel goes on the outside, but does the lens go inside or outside?? :-\ What's the easiest way to modify the tail panel for the buckets? I've heard using a gasket and tracing the insode as a template is best, but is there a different or easier way? ???

Scott W

68sunlitgold

Scott,
I think you are referring to the 67 Shelby when you discuss how the assemble is attached on the back of the CS or HCS. The rear panel only has holes and one of the light dividers cut out for the T-bird lights. It attaches on the outside of the rear panel not inside. There are 3 metal protectors that attach to the rear panel to protect the wiring/bulbs from the inside of the trunk. I will attach a picture. Then it is the tailights, then a foam gasket, lenses and finally the chrome bezel. If you have Pauls recognition guide it discusses it. If you don't and need further help ask.
Doug

Attachments

• panel_cutouts_a.jpg
    panel_cutouts_a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

Crud! I forgot that the tail panel on the 67-69 was concave and not flat. I'm putting these on my '66. I guess I'll have to put the lenses on the outside with the buckets on the inside and just double up on the gaskets (1 between the bucket and the panel and then again between the panel and the lens). I'll need 3 sets of gaskets instead of 2. Then I'll have to paint the edge of the lens either black or body color so it doesn't show. Sound like a plan? Opinions?I'll use this article from Mustang and Fords as a guide.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/16362/index.html

Attachments

• 6t6tail.JPG
    6t6tail.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 11