• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted - Original Speckled Trunk Mat

GTCSMustang

I'm looking for an original speckled trunk mat for a 1968 Mustang coupe (in very, very nice to excellent condition). If you have one and are willing to sell it I will pay $500.

See below for speckle pattern that I'm looking for.

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

Don,

I've heard they used a plaid pattern mat in 1968. It's unclear to me just what the trunk mat story is. But, every original, unrestored 1968 Mustang I've ever had (I've probably had 10-of them) has had a speckeled mat with one exception. A friend of mine has a 1968 Mustang with a very early build date (sometime in 1967) and it has a plaid mat. I think there is some trunk mat information in Paul's first book. But I'm afraid to open it...it's worth too much money...I think I'll sell my cars and keep the book, it's easier to store.

Scott

390cs68rcode

Scott

the gold car I bought from you, Is the trunk mat in it the original one? It has been a little while since I have looked at it. I believe it is a plaid one.

whatcha think?

BroadwayBlue

I thought the trunk pads used were dependent upon the assembly plant.

I double checked by looking at the MCA rules.

According to MCA Rules:
Mat and Cardboard:
Proper style and type material for year mounted in original location.
67 - gray plaid, stitched corners with burtex backing.
68 - gray splatter design with burtex backing or dark gray felt mat (68 San Jose can have gray plaid, stitched corners with burtex backing). 68 San Jose predominate trunk mat was plaid.
All cars with mats have trunk mat underlay

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

Do you know if the "trunk mat underlay" is the asphalt/paper material that sits on top of the gas tank? And what does the "cardboard" refer to...is that the trunk protectors. And while we're on the subject of MCA rules, Jason and I had a converstaion today about battery heat shields and I told him they were on 428 cars and 390 cars with air. Can you confirm or refute that? And does it specify a color? I've seen them both gray and black plastic.

Thanks

Scott

BroadwayBlue

You know I'm not sure but I was thinking that's what the underlay is.
Maybe someone else can confirm that.

As far as cardboard. For the GT/CS I assume they are referring to the cardboard protectors. But I also think they are referring to a piece of cardboard (or something a little thicker) that lays over the wheel wells. They kind of make the trunk floor extend the full width of the trunk. I only have one remaining on my car. I don't know how else to describe them.

Here is what the MCA rules are for 67-68 in regards to Battery Tray.

Battery Carrier: With appropriate attaching parts. Heat shield on A/C and big block cars.

For what it's worth here is the info for a 67-68 Shelby - I don't know if it was the same but the text in bold are the differences from above:
Battery Carrier: Semi-gloss black with appropriate attaching parts (retaining bolts and nuts natural). Heat shield on A/C and big block cars.

=====================================================
I also just noticed this listed:

Trunk, Weather-strip and Jacking Instructions: Original style mounted on underside of trunk lid. GT/CS and High Country Special jacking instructions may be on trunk lid or drivers wheel well.

Do they mean drivers wheel well as in rear wheel well on driver's side?
Mine is on the Passenger's wheel well - easily could've been misplaced by the same person that put my script backwards on the passenger side though. :rolleyes:

68gt390

GTCSMustang said:
Don,

I've heard they used a plaid pattern mat in 1968. It's unclear to me just what the trunk mat story is. But, every original, unrestored 1968 Mustang I've ever had (I've probably had 10-of them) has had a speckeled mat with one exception. A friend of mine has a 1968 Mustang with a very early build date (sometime in 1967) and it has a plaid mat. I think there is some trunk mat information in Paul's first book. But I'm afraid to open it...it's worth too much money...I think I'll sell my cars and keep the book, it's easier to store.

Scott

My GT Coupe has a build date of 11/27/67 from San Jose and had the original trunk mat in it when I bought it and it was a grey plaid with the burtex backing. It was in such bad shape I replaced it with a reporduction mat the same color. The only thing I don't like about the reproduction mats is they have what I call a type of cotton backing and it just doesn't look right. But, then again, my car will never be concourse. I fully understand what you mean about the book. The last few I've seen on ebay were priced very high.

Don

390cs68rcode

The only thing I don't like about the reproduction mats is they have what I call a type of cotton backing and it just doesn't look right.

you need to install it with the cotton side DOWN.

:tongue: :grin: :grin: :tongue:

could not resist.

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
you need to install it with the cotton side DOWN.

:tongue: :grin: :grin: :tongue:

could not resist.

Not if your looking at it from underneath the car!!!!!!!!:rofl:

Jason; Did you check out the price of those Marchal's that are on ebay I posted earlier. Those things are getting steep.

Don