• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Favorite Aircraft?

marie68csmustangs

Hi all,

Just curious what your favorite aircraft is - Do you have many favorites or just one favorite?

Mine are from WW2 are: P51 Mustang, TBM avenger..
WW2 - to present: F14 Tomcat, SR71 Blackbird, S-2 Tracker (right now they are using variants of these as firefighting aircraft in CA)..

Marie

rvrtrash

I always thought the P-38 Lightning was pretty cool.

Steve

still looking for one

I have always been especially fascinated by the first operational combat jet fighter of note, the German ME 262

See: www.stormbirds.com

By the time it became significantly operational, it was too late in the war to make any difference. German airfields, especially near Munich, where many were based, were under constant allied bombing attacks, and many were destroyed on the ground. By then aviation fuel was very scarce also.

The P51 Mustang was the closest it had to an opponent, but the ME262 could outaccellerate it.

mmarsalone

Sikorski designed, F4U Corsair. Beautiful gull wings to accomodate the 18' diameter propeller.

On the Luftwaffe side, I like the Focke Wolf 190.

Diesel Donna

Hey, I liked the little Cessna 210 turbo we used to have, LOL!
ZOOP! ZOOP!

quicknick

My uncle flew a Martin Marauder in WW2. I had a photo of him with his plane enlarged and is hanging in my office. That and a F7F Tigercat are my favorites by far. Nick

still looking for one

Aerobatic shows

There is NOTHING quite like watching a bright red Pitts Stearman biplane doing barrel rolls, Immelmans, and zooming up in the air and flying upside down
and other wonderful aerobatics. HOORAH!!

Yet it still brings to mind the old saying, "There are bold pilots, and old pilots but no old, bold pilots!!" :e:grin: ek:

Jim

Midnight Special

...'Spent alot of time around Tigercats Nick - Stand by for photos when I get back to my office. Mustangs & Corsairs too! Re; the ME 262; Chuck Yeager lives here in town & was one of the few who managed to shoot down a 262. 'Wasn't too difficult - It was out of gas & on final approach for landing. I have firsthand experience w/ almost all the a/c types listed here so far including the Cessna 210 which my father showed property from. We also had a 150 hp Citabria when I was young.

The Martin Marauder (B-26) was a hell of a plane, but killed alot of trainees because of its advanced performance and frequent failure of the Curtis Electric (variable pitch) propeller systems during takeoff.

Boy Marie, this could become a real can o'worms post for me! What posessed you?? ;-)) Stand by for photos! ;-)

OP
OP
marie68csmustangs

marie68csmustangs

Midnight Special said:
...'Spent alot of time around Tigercats Nick - Stand by for photos when I get back to my office. Mustangs & Corsairs too! Re; the ME 262; Chuck Yeager lives here in town & was one of the few who managed to shoot down a 262. 'Wasn't too difficult - It was out of gas & on final approach for landing. I have firsthand experience w/ almost all the a/c types listed here so far including the Cessna 210 which my father showed property from. We also had a 150 hp Citabria when I was young.

The Martin Marauder (B-26) was a hell of a plane, but killed alot of trainees because of its advanced performance and frequent failure of the Curtis Electric (variable pitch) propeller systems during takeoff.

Boy Marie, this could become a real can o'worms post for me! What posessed you?? ;-)) Stand by for photos! ;-)

You did Tim ;-)) you're the one that got me into the big warbirds and stiff like that.. :))

Marie

sam

Mine is the WW11 Flying Fortress B-17.........all versions from the "D" series to the "G" series. 2nd runner up would b ethe B-25 Mitchell bomber.
Hats off to those brave souls who flew them, and came home,........and especailly to those patriots who did not return and made the ultimate sacrifice.

All time favorite WW11 fighter would be the P51 Mustang and Corsair. Happy 4th of July to everyone...............lets all be thankkful for our freedom that so many others have ensured for us.

quicknick

Tim,
I was employed at Kal Aero in Kalamazoo Mi. as an airframe mechanic in the body shop from 1985 to 1995. I left when the company was bought out by Duncan Aviation and relocated to Battle Creek. As you already know, Kal Aero/Duncan owns the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. Known famously for it's complete Grumman Cat collection.
My tenure as the body shop manager afforded me the opportunity to wrench on many a rare war bird, as well as 2 Ford Tri Motors,2 Pitts, a Gee Bee, and of course, the bosses Tigercat.
The customers Corporate Jets were always hard work. The war birds were always "fun" work. I have tons of photos, but without a scanner, I'm not sure how to get them up for you. Nick

quicknick

sam said:
Mine is the WW11 Flying Fortress B-17.........all versions from the "D" series to the "G" series. 2nd runner up would b ethe B-25 Mitchell bomber.
Hats off to those brave souls who flew them, and came home,........and especailly to those patriots who did not return and made the ultimate sacrifice.

All time favorite WW11 fighter would be the P51 Mustang and Corsair. Happy 4th of July to everyone...............lets all be thankkful for our freedom that so many others have ensured for us.

AMEN BROTHER!

Midnight Special

quicknick said:
Tim,
I was employed at Kal Aero in Kalamazoo Mi. as an airframe mechanic in the body shop from 1985 to 1995. I left when the company was bought out by Duncan Aviation and relocated to Battle Creek. As you already know, Kal Aero/Duncan owns the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. Known famously for it's complete Grumman Cat collection.
My tenure as the body shop manager afforded me the opportunity to wrench on many a rare war bird, as well as 2 Ford Tri Motors,2 Pitts, a Gee Bee, and of course, the bosses Tigercat.
The customers Corporate Jets were always hard work. The war birds were always "fun" work. I have tons of photos, but without a scanner, I'm not sure how to get them up for you. Nick

Nick, your very Tigercat was Tanker E62 of TBM Inc. It frequented our local airport along w/ seven other F7Fs during the '60s and early '70s. There were scores of TBMs and a few B-17s as well. Most of my photos need re-sizing before I can post them here, so it may be a little while...

Attachments

• e63.jpg
    e63.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 10
  • e42.jpg
    e42.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13

quicknick

Awesome Tigercat pix. As you know, our Tigercat was restored to it's original wartime colors and markings when it was purchased by John Ellis. It is still pristine today and fly's on a regular basis. I logged in many hours of upkeep and repair on that old girl. So it still has a special place in my heart. I'll try to get some pix up for you.