• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Voices needed

BrandonB

Alright i was waxing my CS today and my front fender inside the wheel well is rusty looking not chipping but its that rusty color, and then theres parts of white and then black (blacks my cars color) so im assuming the white is primer. I have an extremely tight budget being only 17 but will work to save up the money needed. anyways my question is should I be really worried about that plus there are chips of paint gone and i can see the metal on some spots...should I get her paint job redone? besides that her stripes are coming loose at the edges...i need to know if i need a new paint job to ensure no serious damage to my car, and if so about how much do you think the average price of a paint job is...please help and thanks in advanced.

quicknick

In all of my years as a body man, I have never seen white primer. I'm sure that fender was replaced at one time from a white donor car. As for the stone chips...... spray the exposed area with black undercoating in a spray can. And touch up any paint chips with a single stage touch up paint. I would suggest getting it from your local automotive paint supplier to be sure of the correct color match. I know you said your car is black, but I have over 12 shades of black tints on my shelf right now and if you don't match the color correctly, your fender will look like it has the measles.
The undercoating and touch up is an inexpensive temporary fix until you have the funds to get the car done right at your local body shop. Nick

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Thank you so much for your help nick, Ill do that once i get back from my car show as I dont have any money for that stuff as of now, but Ill be back for help soon enough hehe

hookedtrout

Questions on your stripes that are coming loose. Do you know why they are coming loose? Do you know the source the stripes were bought from? I'm just trying to gain as much information as I can in advance of going through the steps in my restoration and if you have stripes that are coming loose it may be that they are an inferior type stripe and I would want to avoid the same type or supplier.

Thanks in advance.

Hook

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

not a clue to any...i used a power washer the day before i noticed them but i dunno if thats why...sorry to not be of any help

next time try having your paint guy paint the stripes on. We did this 10 years ago, followed it up with a really high quality clear coat overall, and we have never had a problem with it.
Amazing what clear coat will protect your paint from!! Worth every penny!

quicknick

Painting the stripes on always looks great. I have done it many times, and you never have to worry about them peeling again.
But be careful what you wish for! I painted the bumblebee stripes on a customers 70 Superbee and the car turned out fantastic. But now the customer is always complaining that the mopar purists and the car show judges constantly bust his chops about the stripes not being "correct style decals".
Sometimes you can't win for losing!

I actually went to a guy who had a correct stripe kit and did a pencil rub on the stripe and lettering and made a stencil. My Lord! what a project. All worth it though, and as I don't show (yet) I don't have to tell!

quicknick

Don't worry Cathy. If your car shows are anything like the ones I attend here, All of the ford purists and "know it alls" will be constantly reminding you about everything thats not correct with your car. They do it to me all the time. It almost makes going to the car shows no fun.