• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CS "Convertibles"

J_Speegle

Ok let me shake things up a little :grin:

Does any one know of any CS "convertibles" At one time there was a handful of them around locally and over time they have disappeared.

Though I should have collected the details from these cars I didn't and because of that I can't answer a couple of questions I've always wondered about.

Yes I know that Ford didn't "make" any Calif Special convertibles so no reason to fill this thread with that :wink:

Mustanglvr

Are talking about actual CS`s made into convertibles? Or convertible clone CS`s? Or both?

68gt390

J_Speegle said:
Ok let me shake things up a little :grin:

I can't answer a couple of questions I've always wondered about.

Yes I know that Ford didn't "make" any Calif Special convertibles so no reason to fill this thread with that :wink:

Seems to me you've already answered your own question or questions since you already know Ford didn't build any CS convertibles. So, what are your questions?

Don :rolleyes:

case12

Jeff, as you mention, there were no CS convertibles built by Ford. But there have been some nice clones modified to look like a CS - even one to two for sale in the last year or so. They definitely look nice. I can dig around in the files to find a picture of one if you like. Casey

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

I was referring to 68 convertibles that have had all the CS stuff added to them. I am interested in finding those that have been around for a long time (I remember them as early as 72-3)

I believe that there may have been a dealer or two that built and sold. If I can find a number of them, run a Marti report, then determine if they all ( or some) came from the same dealer. Unfortunately all the ones I remember from the period have not been seen by me, in 25 plus years so I may have missed my opportunity. Last one I saw was parked on a street in Modesto likely 15 years ago.

I realize that they would not have been built by Ford but then again many of the "specials" were made/altered by dealerships.

My reasoning, for believing that there is a possibility, is that in all of the ones I saw during the time not a one had any aftermarket parts. If the cars had been build by individuals then at least one would have had aftermarket wheels, exhaust, air cleaners ...... Since the cars were really not that popular, important or valuable there was no reason (at that time) for so many to do this alteration and keep them stock looking down to the last detail IMHO

None of the ones I saw locally had any modifications.

Just one of those little quest ;) Just holding onto the possibility and knew the subject would likely spark some discussion

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

case12 said:
Here are a few I found quickly - all clones. Casey

As you have already mentioned, and has been confirmed by Marti, none came from the factory that way. Thx, Casey

Hoping to find older ones ;) but thanks. Yes I realize the none factory thing but that hasn't hurt a number of other specials out there as part of the history. Big difference in if they were built by the owners or a dealer IMHO

Also .... they are not really clones :) since Ford didn't build any ... there can't be any clones ;)

case12

J_Speegle said:
Also .... they are not really clones :) since Ford didn't build any ... there can't be any clones ;)

Point well taken. I will keep looking, as you have me interested now. Casey

miller511

Jeff/all,

Question-

Did dealer options (like making a convertible have CS parts) find their way back to Ford's database and thus end up on a modern Marti report?

-Jeff

P

PNewitt

Hey Jeff,

Only as an FYI, and to set the record straight:

1. I asked both Lee Grey, and Fred Goodell on the phone, back in 1988 if they made any GT/CS "factory" convertibles. The answer was no.

2. I have documentation from Ford that the only spec for the GT/CS was as a model 65 (coupe).

Ford dealers got the Autolite Newsletter, and in one issue in 1968, they had a long list of GT/CS parts you could get from Ford, to sell as customizing parts. It is possible that some of the bigger L.A. Dealers (like Coberly) made some convertibles on their own--but I've never seen anything like this on my end as Registrar in the 22 years that I've been doing it. I think if the coupes ended up not as the hot sellers then as they'd hoped for (then), I doubt they'd make convertibles.

Although, I would like to see some, if they were made during the '69-'73 period. It would be interesting, to say the least. I've personally seen about four different ones over the years, all clones...er...I mean..."mods".

Paul N.

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

miller511 said:
Jeff/all,
Did dealer options (like making a convertible have CS parts) find their way back to Ford's database and thus end up on a modern Marti report?

Generally no. No reason for Dealers to do this and normally none of them (the changes) were related to warranty issues.

Now if the Dealer promotion included something like non-RPO paint colors of something that they wanted the factory to do that was not a regular option and required a special order then the group could be tracked by the common DSO if that is the way the dealer put together the package.

Other dealer promotions included cars that were modified by the dealers or sent out to local shops. Changing convertibles over to Calif Specials would have been a very big project and likely not cost effective

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
It is possible that some of the bigger L.A. Dealers (like Coberly) made some convertibles on their own--but I've never seen anything like this on my end as Registrar in the 22 years that I've been doing it. ...........

Since we dismissed the possibility from the beginning I believe we missed any chance of collecting the information for the possibility.

Been through the archives in Sacramento a couple of times checking old newspaper ads of the era have have not found a mention of convertibles yet. Not that I've given up yet.

P

PNewitt

Well, Jeff, you got me thinkin' and you know what happens next....

For the serious research-minded, you'll need to look for "Mel Burns Ford", which I think was in Long Beach, CA. They did that prototype "Supersnake" '67 GT-500 car. If ANYONE would make a CS convertible at a dealership, it would be them. Here is an example of one of their modified Mustangs:

http://www.geocities.com/mustangs68.geo/133.html

I'd make my newspaper search in L.A. Times from Feb. 68 through about July 31, '68 to be sure. I'd look for those Sunday Paper "automotive" inserts, and/or L.A. Auto Show programs, or newspaper supplements (all on microfiche).

The two biggest dealers that sold most of the GT/CSs in Los Angeles are "Coberly Ford", and "Galpin Ford". They are the ones that did the "Rainbow Colors" '67 Mustangs, and dolled up Galaxies and T-Birds with trim, wheels, paint, stripes, etc..

Perhaps some of our most eagle-eyed internet searchers (hint, hint, Rich) may find something from these key words.

What would be a good idea is to go the Supersnake route. Seek the '67 Shelby path in L.A. at the time, and go from there. These histories are really entwined. The '67 Shelby Registrar might know who to ask.

See what you started, Jeff??????? Kewl ,huh?
Thanks, Paul.

P

PNewitt

J_Speegle said:
Since we dismissed the possibility from the beginning I believe we missed any chance of collecting the information for the possibility.

No, Jeff, I didn't mean to sound like I closed the door on this...I just wanted to provide what I know and found out to this point. Sometimes you get more response from an absolute that is challenged than if you didn't say anything.

The door is always open here to newly found information. So much just recently has surfaced! I can't/don't tell a lot here, but we're in for a lot of fun surprises very soon about the old--and new--GT/CS.

-Paul N.

OP
OP
J

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
No, Jeff, I didn't mean to sound like I closed the door on this...I just wanted to provide what I know and found out to this point. Sometimes you get more response from an absolute that is challenged than if you didn't say anything.

-Paul N.

Understand... just a reference to what we have all done in the past.... mostly a quick dismissal that "there were no convertibles" ;)

As for the other possibilities agree with "Coberly Ford", and "Galpin Ford" being possibilities by really doubt the Mel Burns since this would not be a performance related enough for them.

Wondering since my observations were up here if one of the bay area dealerships might be a possibility. You do have that one dealership that continued to make/offer fastbacks and sport roofs with vinyl tops through the mid 70's. Don't know of others that were doing that any where in the country.

Know something new would rattle the jar.

P

PNewitt

In my reaserch, and observing the differences in (1968) car culture between Nor Cal, and So. Cal, I wouldn't expect a Nor Cal dealer to do a limited run CS Convertible.

But--get this--Galpin Ford did a few '68 Coupes with rumble seats! it's in my 1996 book, page 111.

If they did that--they'd maybe do a few CS Convertibles. But--Ford might have said no, because you didn't see anything about it in Hot Rod magazine, like I found on the rumble seat clip.

If anyone out there knows anyone who worked at Galpin Ford back in '68, please let me know.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeff.
Hmmm......I just "wonder" what else is up your sleeve...LOL!! :)

case12

Very nicely done convertible. Looks like a recent creation, since the taillight bezels have the black edging not found on the vintage versions. I notice a dealer badge on the back, but cannot read it - possibly this is the custom car company that did this. Also, note that the radio antenna is on the back fender. I have not seen this before. It would be interesting to know who did this convertible.

As for the fastback. I think I see the same dealer badge (can't tell). From a looks point of view, it doesnt do much for me though.

Casey

Mustanglvr

The dealer badge looks like it has some initials and then the word "mustang". Not 100% sure of that, but thats what I see.