• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

WANTED: COPY OF THE 1968 1/2 FORD MUSTANG GT/CS CALIFORNIA SPECIAL RECOGNITION

68MustangHCS

Hello,

I keep getting dead ends on this book. Does anyone have an extra COPY OF THE 1968 1/2 FORD MUSTANG GT/CS CALIFORNIA SPECIAL RECOGNITION GUIDE & OWNER'S MANUAL?

I've been trying to locate and purchase a copy of it. Everywhere I look, it's out of print. If you have a spare copy, please email me with the costs for the book and shipping. I can pay by Paypal too. Thanks...

Thanks guys,
Steve ;)

P.S. Theres one on eBay, but it's outrageous in price. I think if it's out of print. Maybe the writer (Paul) should put a second edition out for everyone to purchase. It's obviously wanted by other members here.

68gt390

Re:WANTED: COPY OF THE 1968 1/2 FORD MUSTANG GT/CS CALIFORNIA SPECIAL RECOGNITI

Steve;
Unfortunately that's about the only way to find one these days. The book is out of print and I don't think will be reprinted. That's the way many of us got our copies. Trust me, it's not cheap. Paul will be doing a new book sometime this summer hopefully. Until then ebay is about your only hope. Even if a member here on the site had one for sale it's going to be listed on ebay due to the price it's pulling. By the way the one on ebay is being offered by a member of this site. Sorry.

Don :'(

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=3;threadid=1552;start=0#msg9341 date=1112830559]
The book is out of print and I don't think will be reprinted.
Don :'(
[/quote]

I have a great idea Don!!!!

Maybe someone should just offer free photo copies not holding members, no profit: and put at the top of each copy:

"photo copy: for research purposes only"

That would be great! ... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Or even better, rent their book out by the week like blockbuster! :eek:

hicountrybob

OR better yet, if you"re in the hobby, step up to the plate and buy ebay. Myself, I get sick and tired of getting phones calls for Lucas lights, CJ air cleaners, Cal Special grills, chrome s/s wheels etc. as if this stuff is not out there and callers think they are going to steal it from some dummy. For me, when I haven't found stuff at my Mustang store or the swap meets, I've bought off of ebay and felt good that it was out there. If we need it, or want it bad enough, I think we should "eat in" another night or evaluate (which I think we all do) where we want to be with our car and/or our CAl/HIGH COUNTRY LIBRARY, then go for it. I don't think we can really whine or complain about availabilty and/or cost that much and it is not often one will buy a CJ 12127-D distributor for 10 bucks from a dummy, either. Look what expenses our overseas site members have with shipping expenses for parts and the money they pay to ship our cars to them IN A CAN. So, enjoy the hobby and your car as I do. hi country Bob

GTCSMustang

Bob is right. Be glad the stuff for a GT/CS is as cheap as it is. And be glad the cars are as cheap as they are. Look at the rest of the muscle car world right now. Many cars that were affordable a few short years ago are now out of reach for the average person. I look at GT/CS's as one of the few affordable and cool cars still available. Count your blessings and if you find something on ebay that you need, be glad that you didn't have to walk 100-miles at 10-swap meets to find it.

case12

I have paid big $$ for Paul's books on eBay and for parts on eBay. However, if you don't have the $ or dont want to pay the $, I have found that the FREE advice and information you get on this site is priceless - including advice from the author, Paul, himself. Just read through the topics already discussed, or ask the question again. You will get your answer from someone on this site, or the answer probably does not exist yet. So, there really shouldn't be any complaints about how pricey Paul's original books are. Casey

bbeatty

Case12, that’s a good point about this forum being the best source for advice and expertise on the GT/CS and it points out an interesting thing about what happened to the value of Paul’s previous books.

When I first bought my GT/CS and the books were plentiful, my book was either lying on my workbench or riding around in my car with me. It got a little beat up but it was very helpful at times. Of course, there were no forums or internet back then so that was the best source there was for information on the GT/CS.

Then along comes the internet and Ebay and the market value of these books has gotten so high I don’t even keep these mine in the garage anymore. Both of these books are now safely tucked away in a waterproof box in storage room. I don’t even want to bring the books to a car show for fear of it disappearing! And I used to worry about my Marchals but at least they’re bolted in! ;D

So over the years, my book as gone from my best garage buddy and reference guide to an investment treasured more for its market value on eBay rather than the knowledge contained between the covers. Strange world sometimes.

68gt390

[quote author=bbeatty link=board=3;threadid=1552;start=0#msg9363 date=1112902851]
So over the years, my book as gone from my best garage buddy and reference guide to an investment treasured more for its market value on eBay rather than the knowledge contained between the covers.

[/quote]

That's the very thing I've done with mine. I had an individual try and pick mine up out of my trunk at a local show once and that convinced me to keep them at home. :mad: Had it not been for several good friends who we're with their cars my books would have been gone. To make a long story short, I don't think this particular individual will try something like that again. ;D

Don

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

Maybe Santa Claus will get me a copy for Christmas, or my wife for my Birthday. :)

I wonder if anyone has ever found a copy at a swap meet, flea market, or thrift shop? That would be an interesting find! :eek:

It sounds like you need to get the boxing gloves on and duke it out on eBay for a copy. :mad:

As far as the book is concerned, it's one of those things I would like to have. It's one of those nice things to have and especially on a rainy day like today, something to relax and read.

meadowsdk28

First off, High Country Bob, you're my hero. You are so on the money on that. Times have changed, we have to adapt.
Second. I went to the MASSIVE Columbus, OHIO swap meet last weekend with my sole intent on looking for the GT/CS recognition guide and registry. 4 buildings, hundreds of vendors. At least 5 vendors that were devoted just to literature and nothing. Nothing! It's almost impossible to get unless you go Ebay.

By the way, found two sets of Lucas foglight covers. One of the lights he wouldn't part with, the other being sold separately for $75. Rectagular view holes on those, round on the ones he wouldn't separate. I probably should have bought them then. There is a set on ebay now that is over that price.

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

;D
Hi Mustangers...I just wanted you to know, I didn't have to duke it out on eBay, find one in a swap meet, or steal one. One of the members of this board was very kind and considerate and sold me her spare copy for a super discount price. :eek: Thanks Gina! ;) I appreciate all the comments and help. You guys know I was kidding about renting these books out like blockbuster right? ha ha.. ;D

Ausi_CS

Just to add my two cents worth...

I purchased my copy of the recognition guide at a swap meet. This was about three years ago, about a month after I bought the car. The first show I had taken the car to, someone drew my attention to the book on a book sellers table, I very quickly paid about AU$30 for it - equivalent to US$20 back then. Considering that there are probably only a few copies of the book over here in Australia, I consider that now to be a huge bargain.

On the ebay thing..I have just bought a pair of Lucas square 8's from ebay. My car has been missing these since arrival is Australia 30 years ago. They cost me AU$300 (about US$230) plus shipment from the UK. Considering their rare-ness and the value that they add to my car - another bargain.

The point to this - well there isn't one really except - be patient, you will find these trophies occasionally. You will have to hunt for them and you will most definately have to pay for them, but the effort adds to the enjoyment of owning a "Special" car and when you do hit pay dirt, the pride boost is the reward.

Cheers form Oz

Ausi-CS :)

390cs68rcode

THERE ARE SOME lUCAS FOGLIGHTS ON eBAY RIGHT NOW. sorry for the caps.

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

[quote author=Ausi_CS link=board=3;threadid=1552;start=0#msg9565 date=1113586495]
Just to add my two cents worth...

On the ebay thing..I have just bought a pair of Lucas square 8's from ebay. My car has been missing these since arrival is Australia 30 years ago. They cost me AU$300 (about US$230) plus shipment from the UK. Considering their rare-ness and the value that they add to my car - another bargain.

Cheers form Oz

Ausi-CS :)
[/quote]

Hey Ausi,

Yeah, good info. I find this board helpful though, and occasionally there are some good willed people who visit this site. I was lucky to get mine for practically nothing. On those square 8's. The UK eBayers list them all the time and I have seen sets sell for as little as $40 US. But the problem is the shipping; you get reamed for $70 in shipping. But, I guarantee you can get a set of Lucas lights with no problem, you just have to be patient, communicate with the seller to make sure they will ship them and payment terms. I'm looking for some spare glasses. Mine have some minor pitting from over the years and I'd like to get some fresh lenses someday. That means if I have to buy a new set of Square 8's to cannibalize the lenses from, then I guess that's what I'll do.

Later Oz...Steve

68gt390

Steve;
If you haven't tried Orlando Mustang for your Lucas/Marchal lights give Pete a try. He carries both types (got my Marchal's from them). I to bought a set of Lucas lights off ebay but, sold them and went with Marchals instead. Check Pete's site, he has a pretty good exchange program.

http://orlandomustang.com/restoration.html

Don 8)

jk89cat

i just bought mine from branda performance , $50.00 and at first i thought wow thats alot fo cash , but after i got it. its more than worth it. he said , when i ordered , that they had around 10 books or so left.

hcsstang

I also got one from him but that was last year. For the same price but he said that was his last one. By the was that was the AACA Hershey show. ::)