• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Paint & Bodywork Done

franklinair

Got my C/S back last week. Looking Good. Haven't been able to do anything (Christmas in VA, bodacious headcold when we got home). I should be back on track next week. This cold laid me low for a few days.
Can't post photos- for some reason the "Go Advanced" quit showing:confused:, which apparently must work before you can go into "Manage Attachments".

Neil (sniffles) Hoppe

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Got my photo mojo working again. Here's a couple photos of the paint project.

Neil

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Paint work looks good! She looks a bit naked with out the stripes. Glad you are feeling better. Marty

somethingspecial

Wow Neil, That looks great. May I suggest you check all your brake system fittings. I have 4000 miles on my 68 coupe after a complete running gear and brake rebuild and just suffered a brake failure. My daughter was driving the car at the time and when I checked the system, I found the front brake caliper banjo fittings loose. All I can figure is the compression washers did just that, and compressed enough to allow seepage. Just a safety tip. Luckily she did not collide with anything, but it could have been a lot worse. Thank god she thought to use the parking brake to stop. Can't wait to see your car complete again. Mike

Russ

Neil, The car looks great...a rare color and a beautiful job! Congratulations! Keep the photos coming! Russ

6t8-390gt

Neil,
The car is looking good; is the paint single stage or BASE/CLEAR? The black stripes and black interior will make it really pop, the 10 spokes look great too. I can't wait 'til TEAMLO gets his GT painted (same color).

Danny

teamlo

Car looks really good Neil. Mine is (almost) done mechanically. Next is paint and trim and it's done! Love the color!!

Terry

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

A question comes to mind: The hood stripes are a Ditzler black. Anyone have the Ditzler number?

Neil

J_Speegle

A question comes to mind: The hood stripes are a Ditzler black. Anyone have the Ditzler number?

Neil

You bet ;) DDL 9423 a Lacquer paint

Same thing they used in 69 for the blacked hoods on Mach I's and Boss 302's

Haven't been able to get any mixed for years :( Auto Color Library has been selling a remix of the color on Ebay in the past or you should be able to call them directly - as another option

Other options that have been offered

- Mercedes flat black, Sherwin Williams Ultra 1, U-12739 Some suggest that this mix will not water spot nor have issues with waxes that get on it. Both problems with the original stuff

- Sherwin Williams urethane - 50 % T1F271 (flattener) 50% 1738 (black)

Hope this helps - good luck

Russ

Neil, You might want to be careful with lacquer paint. Lacquer applied over urethane or enamel finishes will impact with the top coat and wrinkle the finish, destroying the final top coat. I would suggest contacting your painter to determine the compatability of paints before you apply any lacquer. I'm a big fan of Dupont Centuri (code 99) Pitch Black with a Dupont flattening additive. This provides a nice, smooth satin sheen, that very durable and washable. Just my thoughts. Russ.

Northern Pony

Neil;
The car looks fantastic; When complete with black trim and blacked out hood stripes along with those 10 spokes it will be out-standing.
BoB

Mosesatm

Neil, You might want to be careful with lacquer paint. Lacquer applied over urethane or enamel finishes will impact with the top coat and wrinkle the finish, destroying the final top coat. I would suggest contacting your painter to determine the compatability of paints before you apply any lacquer. I'm a big fan of Dupont Centuri (code 99) Pitch Black with a Dupont flattening additive. This provides a nice, smooth satin sheen, that very durable and washable. Just my thoughts. Russ.

From what I understand we can no longer buy lacquer in Texas. Other states may have similar rules.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The Meadowlark Yellow is a single stage paint, done by the P.O. I just plan to use the Ditzler reference as a comparison for color match.
When I get the C/S striping re-applied to the left side, hood stripes, and black vinyl top installed, I'll be a happy camper. Then I'll do the Deluxe interior, console, AM/FM radio, and headrests.

Neil

6t8-390gt

I thought it looked as though it had a vinyl roof...yes the side stripes, hood stripes and roof will really set it off. Good Luck and keep posting the pictures.

Danny