• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tilt Steering Column swap

Tequila

This question is probably too generic for this forum and my apologies if I am wasting anyone's time. I am planning on swapping out my steering column with a tilt mechanism.

Has anyone done this to their 68 Mustang? I saw one from Ididit (sp?) that looked pretty good. Any experience with them? or do you have another brand that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
RT

CougarCJ

Not sure if Iditit has changed their design or not, but they are splined for GM steering wheels. Check them out, but you may have to change to an aftermarket steering wheel to install.

Ruppstang

I have added the original tilt columns in a 67 and a 68. Not too tough but originals are pricey. Marty

dalorzo_f

+1 on finding an original. I priced up Ididits, they ran $400-500 and for a pretty similar price I found a nice OEM... had to take it all apart and adjust, a bit tricky but an interesting project.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I have added the original tilt columns in a 67 and a 68. Not too tough but originals are pricey. Marty

Marty,
I would love to find an original. Actually there was one listed on ebay couple of days ago for around $700 but now it's gone. It didn't say it was original but it looked like an OEM style. Hopefully I could find one.

Thanks

OP
OP
T

Tequila

+1 on finding an original. I priced up Ididits, they ran $400-500 and for a pretty similar price I found a nice OEM... had to take it all apart and adjust, a bit tricky but an interesting project.

Hmmm... may be if I could get some pointers from you on the rebuild if I find a used one. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I have another question related to the tilt mechanism. Is it vacuum assisted? I was reading somewhere that there is a switch pin on the door that controls the tilt. My car has this door pin that is in addition to the dome light switch but the wiring is cut off. Any idea what this door pin is for?

Thanks

Ruppstang

Yes it is vacuum controlled. The second switch is column release switch. Well at least you have part of the system. Scott at West Coast Classic Cougar may have one for sale. Marty

dalorzo_f

The door pin, in conjunction with the ignition off, tilts the wheel away when you open the door. Believe there are some differences in the '67 vs '68-'69 setups, but the basic function is similar...

somethingspecial

I have another question related to the tilt mechanism. Is it vacuum assisted? I was reading somewhere that there is a switch pin on the door that controls the tilt. My car has this door pin that is in addition to the dome light switch but the wiring is cut off. Any idea what this door pin is for?

Thanks

My Question Is "Why is there a switch in the door jam"? Was this for possibly for an alarm at one time, or if it is a tilt column switch, what happened to the tilt column? When looking for an OEM tilt column, there are several components. The column, the door jam switch, the vacuum canister, which mounts under the battery tray on the outside of the fender apron, the ignition kill switch and vacuum/electric actuator assy. which mounts under the dash to the right of the fog light switch. You will have to splice into the wiring loom to attach the kill switch, which prevents the car from starting when the wheel is swung out of the way. It comes from the ignition switch. Red with blue stripe if I remember correctly. I added a tilt column to one of my cars, but I just needed it to adjust up/down and not swing out of the way, so I just added the column and didn't worry about the rest of the system.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

My Question Is "Why is there a switch in the door jam"? Was this for possibly for an alarm at one time, or if it is a tilt column switch, what happened to the tilt column? When looking for an OEM tilt column, there are several components. The column, the door jam switch, the vacuum canister, which mounts under the battery tray on the outside of the fender apron, the ignition kill switch and vacuum/electric actuator assy. which mounts under the dash to the right of the fog light switch. You will have to splice into the wiring loom to attach the kill switch, which prevents the car from starting when the wheel is swung out of the way. It comes from the ignition switch. Red with blue stripe if I remember correctly. I added a tilt column to one of my cars, but I just needed it to adjust up/down and not swing out of the way, so I just added the column and didn't worry about the rest of the system.

Thanks Mike. I still cant figure why there is the extra switch already in my door jamb. The car doesnt have the tilt mechanism on the steering column so I am not why it came with the switch either.

Anyways, it sounds like a complicated setup.... Not to mention finding all the components.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

By the way do you know if a 69 column would fit the 68? I may have a lead on a 69 assy.

somethingspecial

Again, if you just want it to adjust up/down, you just need to find a column. The up/down adjustment is released by the turn signal lever. The swing away, which pulled the steering wheel up and to the right, was actuated by the rest of the system. I am 6'04" and needed the tilt up so I could drive my car with a stick. (knee hit the back of the steering wheel when I tried to use the clutch pedal, one click up from center solved that) Just something to think about. Hope this helps.

somethingspecial

Don't know anything about 69' cars to know if it would work. Doesn't the 69' have the key in the colomn?

Ruppstang

The 69 vacuum release bracket is different. But most every thing else is the same.