• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dealer Options in 68 & Where to look for rust

azbeneman

I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking for several years. Been looking for a GTCS, and may have found one this week. (yes it was in a barn, has not moved in 20+ years and needs a lot of work - but it is a well optioned C code car).

I am familiar with the Marti Reports, but have a few questions on specific options:

Vinyl Top - Does the Marti Report detail what color the top was? The car I came across was original paint (& the current owner's family bought it new). It was white with a blue standard interior. The vinyl top had been removed and the roof was painted a blue, similar to Presidential Blue. The top trim pieces were in place. I would imagine the original top was parchment.

Hood Stripes - Will a Marti Report say if a car came with the hood stripes? Was that a factory option, or mostly dealer installed? This car had them, and they were painted the same blue as the roof.

Looking at both together, I got the feeling those were dealer installed. They looked original and most likely painted at the sametime.

I am a 65/66 Mustang guy and have restored several of those cars. Is there any areas that rust out on 68's that I may not know about? This car had some rust on the tops of the inner fender walls under the hood. It did not look too bad, but should that lead me to look closely at other spots? (there was minor rust near the battery tray, on the rear wheel wells and bottom seams of the doors - but no bubbles in the doors themselves)

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and recommendations.

Azbeneman

Mosesatm

The Marti will note the hood stripes if they were factory installed. The paint code on the data plate will also show a 5 after the base paint color. For example, I5 would be lime gold with black hood stripes.

Not sure about the vinyl top color.

franklinair

Azbeneman: Welcome!!
Since you've done '65 & 66, same typical rust prone areas: floorpans, framerails, cowls, and of course- the '68's have the torque boxes (left & right).
If it came from the factory with the vinyl top (which would be listed on the Marti) it should (hopefully) have the semi-round strips in the gutters, riveted in place. Typically over time they tend to break (and disappear), and they are Tough to find.
Lots of info & help here. Just ask.

Neil Hoppe

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azbeneman

The door data plate showed just M for paint. Interesting note on the second digit. I have not seen that on a 68 before (plenty of 69s), but the hood stripes are rarely seen in the first place.

Ah yes, if the cowls leak then I might have to pass. I have replaced floors, but the cowls are too much work in my book.

The car was pushed back in the corner of this barn and had so much stuff around it and on top that i could not get around behind it. I will have to do some further checking on the window trim. I did not notice any rust below the rear window which is a plus. The photos I took of the car don't show the rear window.

One reason I inquired about the vinyl top color is that the GTCS stripes on the car looked black. It was hard to tell not getting an unobstructed view of the car. Who knows, maybe it was the lighting in there. It's possible that the top was black, along with the GTCS stripes and the original owner did not like that look. White with black side stripes, blue hood stripes and roof would look odd to me (especially with the blue interior).

I guess if I end up purchasing the car, I could restore it to what I like. Thanks for your input. The people on this site are very helpful. I will keep you posted on if the purchase takes place and another car is saved.

robert campbell

No rust issues different than you 65/66 experience. You already know your away around these cars! Funny, I have seen the same thing you have. 1969cars have the 5 to denote the blackout hood, but I have not seen it on a 1968?? Rust in the usuel areas, but heck they all get it after time! Even the most pristine of them. If it is not extensive, then go for it!! And make it the way you want it!!

Rob

OP
OP
A

azbeneman

Did the hood stripes only come in black? If so, then these were definately dealer installed.

Yeah, I know a fair amount about these cars. I just have never done a 67/68before. If I end up eventually purchasing the car, I would restore it back to white, probably do blue stripes. Not sure about the top though, I'm not sure either color would look real good with that combo.

The car should be saved. It is completely original under the hood and the interior is original too. It shows 80K miles and has AC, Power Steering & Brakes. The fiberglass looked good, has the original Lucas lights. The lower console was in mint condition as well.

It had four flat tires so I could not check out the pans and torque boxes.

Because it is owned by the original owner's daughter, and he passed away years ago, the negotiation may take a while.

franklinair

IIRC, vinyl tops from the factory were either black or white. No other options.

Neil

teamlo

To my knowledge, the optional hood stripes were only available in a low-gloss black. It's a fairly rare option.

Terry

J_Speegle

........... 1969cars have the 5 to denote the blackout hood, but I have not seen it on a 1968?? ............

I've seen a number of 68's with the "5" on the door tag (The Mustang Production Guide shows dozens of examples) The same code (but for the taillight panel "black" out (was really a dark gray) was used in 67