• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Here is the story, My GT/CS GT390 /4 speed

somethingspecial

Here is the story;
I was 18 years old and worked my tail off in an apple orchard all summer to buy my first car. I found a GT/CS with a GT390/4 speed and immediately fell in love. It had been highly modified with fender flares, wide tires, custom paint, and YUK, Leapord skin interior. It was fast and boy did I have fun, I had the coolest car in town. I purchased the car for $1500.00, on June 12th, 1983.
I kept blowing head gaskets, and after I caught my arm in the fan, and almost lost my right hand, (all better now), I dissassembled the car with GRAND DILLUSIONS of restoring it. It sat dissassembled for about seven years, when I got a call from Bob McClurg, the editor of Mustang Illustrated Magazine. He called me on a recommendation of Paul Newitt. He told me he wanted to purchase the GT/CS to use as an article car for restoration. We settled on a price and the car left, with very heavy heart.
Over the next 15 years, Bob put to print 12 articles in Mustang Illustrated Mag, titled "Project Something Special" Jan-Oct. 2001. Bob decided to sell me the car back before completion, Which make my wife happy, because it meant the end of 15 years of bitching about selling the car.
BOB, YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB!!!!!!
Ironicaly, I purchased the GT/CS back on, ready for this, JUNE 12th, 2005.
In the tradition of Bob, and my own desire, I am continuing the restoration in CONCORSE fashion. I need help finding Concorse Judging rules and guidelines.
Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I want to do this right!!!!!!! Mike Jewell
I tried to download some pictures, but They were too large, and erased my story once.

390cs68rcode

Someone on the site has some detailed concourse pictures but I cannot remember who. Hang tight they will show up. Not sure if it was a 390 car but at least it is a start.

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Thanks, I hope so. I will post progress on the Gallery cite when I can. I am excited that I was able to have a second chance at this car.

68gt390

I would suggest visiting the following site and joining. Once a member you'll be able to download both concourse judging rules and guidelines. I joined 2 years ago and since have become a Certified National Judge for Daily Driver and Street Driven classes. I would also recommend finding out if there is a local Mustang Club in your area. These types of organizations which include this site have numerous individuals with both years of experience in restoration and just general knowledge which is invaluable. Good luck in your restoration.

http://www.mustang.org/

Don ;D

Talan423

mike- congrats on finally getting the car back, last i talked to you it was still in the works. how did the grille work out?

tom

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Tom, The grille is still in the works, as I am still looking for an original 67 Grille. I just can't bring myself to using a cheap repro grille. I have also aquired two more sets of brackets and a pair of Marchal fog lights in 99.99999% condition. It is coming along great. The engine is nearing completion, with all part # correct. I will download you some pictures soon. Mike