• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 price range....

mbsf1970

I realize that answers for my question will be hopelessly all over the map but if I give a little context then perhaps you guys can help offer some goalposts...

If a guy wanted to buy a turn key GTCS that wouldn't need much other than oil changes, gas and several hand washes per summer, what would be a reasonable range to pay for such a car?? I've seen everything from resto material $1K all the way up to and over $40K. I'm not looking for concourse but I'm not into having to dump untold amount$ into it either.
I'm looking for a car to own for a few years to enjoy with my growing kids....I hesitate to say how many years but I'm assuming 3 or so.

Stephen

CougarCJ

A T-code 3 speed will probably be at the lower end of the scale, and an R-code 4 speed at the upper end, all other things remaining the same. ;-p

68sunlitgold

Stephen,
As Scott pointed out, the engine size will play a large part in the cost, generally the bigger the engine....the higher the price. The other player is the options (I took out condition since you stated you wanted 'turn key'). This will be a factor since highly optioned cars are more sought after. But engine size is the biggest factor and the 289 engine is widely available. I would say you can purchase a very nice GT/CS with a 289 and options like power steering and A/C for between $15,000 and $20,000.

Doug

stangfan

Being in Canada where there are fewer GT/CS cars to choose from, the prices are higher. I paid $27,000 for mine last August (in BC). I have since put another $7,000. into the car by way of transmission rebuild, new brakes, power steering rebuild, dual exhaust, tires and shocks and some misc bits and pieces. Of course this would all have been less expensive had I been able to do the work myself, but I'm no mechanic. The car is gorgeous and I love driving it. Looking forward to the car show season this year!

dalorzo_f

As the vast majority were C codes/C4's (over half), J/C4's added in make up about 65% a reasonable baseline to work to.

In looking around when buying mine, solid drivers were pretty readily availbale in the $14k-18k (asking) range. As noted options will play a role. The one R code 4 speed made would obviously bring a premium.

And location plays a part, as noted by the Canadian view. As prices there, and here in Australia, take a bump to accomodate owners including extra costs of shipping, duty, tax, limited availablity, etc...

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

What taxes/fees etc are there when bringing in a car from U.S. to Canada.
I've brought plenty of cars from U.S. into Canada but that was for newer cars (1-2 yrs old) but I have zero experience with old cars....
thanks,
Stephen