• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct color for interior

murf104

Once again looking for advice and guidance. Working on a GT/CS with a RED standard interior, trim code 7D. Purchased a few rattle cans of "rainbow" interior paint and dye but after experimenting with the ash tray and glove box door it is plain that the color in the can is WAY WAY OFF! So, has anyone on this forum found the correct color for the two reds used in this interior. The metal parts of the doors, the 1/4 trim panels, package tray, steering column, metal part of the dash and the console are all one shade of red/burgandy, while the dash pad, the dash pad retaining trim and the windsheild pillars are a different shade. The colors used originally have lost some of their lustre but the colors in these cans are far too deep to have ever been correct. Also having a struggle with the color of the crash pad and the center pad on the steering wheel, which appear to have been much darker than anything else in the interior, They seem to be more the color of the steering wheel, a darker burgandy. Sure would appreciate any advice or experience any of you can share. Also curious about the console. It appears to be the same color as the metal part of the dash, doors ,etc, rather than the color of the dash pad - is this what you as a group have found. Only want to do this as correctly as possible and hope that one or more of you have found a color that duplicates the original. I have the original RM paint codes for the interior paint and that is the number stamped on the Rainbow cans, but they also say for a 69 as well, and the 69 colors are different according to my reference material.

rvrtrash

My interior is standard red. I bought the interior pieces from Year One and had to specify the 1969 Dark Red color on the 1968 pattern. I also ordered their rattle can paints, both for metal and vinyl in the same color. My original interior was several different shades, but the new vinyl seemed to match perfectly with the areas that were protected from sunlight and the paints seem to match the new vinyl. I will say that the top of my dash was so dark, that it looked like black cherry, so that might be why some of your colors are darker. Anyway, whether it's exactly the right shades or not, it all looks like it matches now and I think it looks like it was meant to be.

Steve

OP
OP
M

murf104

Steve, my dash pad was also so dark it seemed almost black, certainly "black cherry" would be an accurate description of the color. The console was a bit dark as well, but I am not sure that it should be the same color as the dash pad and associated parts. Do you have a console? If so what color/colors did you end up using? According to the reference material I have, the dash pad, the windshield pillars and the dash pad retention strips are all a different paint or dye number than the rest of the interior. Did you use the different shade for those parts or did you use the same color for the entire interior. And you are correct, there are so many shades of red in the car that it is difficult to identify the original or intended color. Can you post a few images of your interior or email them to me? (j.w.murphy@comcast.net) I am really confused about the proper shades/shade of this interior. Nothing so far seems to be even in the same family as wht I find in the car, even in areas that have never seen cleaning or light such as behind the dash or in areas covered by various things. Thanks for your help.

rvrtrash

I did everything the same color, although the plastic parts look different in pics, but I think that's just the light reflecting off them differently. I'd have to go through my receipts to find the exact paint/dye I got from Year One. Give me a day or so on that one. Here's a pic of my interior from my gallery. If you need something else, PM me and I'll get you a shot of it.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=49

Steve

franklinair

Red is the absolute toughest color to do right on the interiors. If you're using aerosols, you'll never get it right (Rainbow is the WORST brand of all). If you can use a spraygun, PM me, and I'll give you the name & phone # of a person who can give you the right info, source, and colors.

Neil