• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

build sheet

hcsstang

;D I found my build sheet under the seat but it 's in bad shape . I have all the pieces but I don't understand it. Does it state that it is a GTCS or HCS on the build sheet. All that I make out is numbers. I am afraid to unfold it due to the shape it's in.

carvensno

wow, you found your build sheet, thats cool. ;) thats normally where they are found is under the seats, but not all of the assembly guys were lazy just to stuff them under the seat, so it good when you find something like that still in the car after these yrs. people in the past would find this type of stuff and just throw it out! hats off to you, great find(2 thumbs up) ;D

Talan423

this sheet is also called a "travel sheet" because it travels along on the outside or inside of the car as it moves down the assembly line. it probably wouldn't specifically say "california special" on it because each one of those numbers or letters on the travel sheet is meant to be read by by a specific operator on each individual job on the line. ie... the guy installing the hood would look at a specific number or letter on that sheet and he would know what type of a hood to install (turn signal hood, cobra jet hood, gt/cs hood, etc...). the individual worker on the line really isn't concerned whether the car as a whole is a california special, he is only concerned with his individual parts that he puts on.
there may be several different build sheets that travel with the car. this is why one might be under the carpet or stuffed in the seat, or even in the dash. some build sheets might not even be from ford. it might be the supplier's build sheet (seat supplier). also, if the assembly process for that particular travel sheet is done, why pay somebody to remove it from the car when they can just leave it and put the carpet on top of it, a piece of paper isn't going to harm anything or create a squeak or rattle. many travel sheets even today go all the way to the dealership. i have the one from the instrument panel supplier for my 1998 f-150.
i guees the point i'm trying to make here is that it really has nothing to do with a "lazy assembly guy" stuffing it under the seat.

68sunlitgold

Tom,
Great info on the build sheets. I have not found mine yet on my CS (have not started the tear-down of the interior), but I have found it on my convertible. Like hcsstang stated, mine was very brittle, especially the part that was on the outside. It was folded into a size about 1" x 2" and taped to the dash wiring harness. I very carfully unfolded it and only lost the part that stuck to the tape which was at the point of being absorbed by the glue from it. Like Tom stated, other than the VIN #, DSO, color, engine size and trans mission #, everything else is jsut a number or letter, ie shocks "1". It does however give me an idea of what may have been an option on the car (the Marti Report does this better) if you look at it and there is a number/letter in a certain area. But not all are indicated.
I hope when I tear my CS apart I will find one in the seats or under the carpet, both are still original!
Doug

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=hcsstang link=board=1;threadid=828;start=0#msg4619 date=1078012992]
Does it state that it is a GTCS or HCS on the build sheet. All that I make out is numbers.[/quote]

AFAIK, the only way to tell the difference is by the DSO. The HCS is indistinguishable (by the numbers) from the GT/CS. The only difference is the DSO. I'm not sure where/when the different scoop badge/letters and cal special script was added though. Anybody else know?

68sunlitgold

For the GT/CS's, everything was added at the factory, except for the recalled Marchal lights which had the Lucas lights dealer installed, hence some CS's having the wrong or no attaching hardware.
For most of the HCS's everything again was added at the factory except the scope decal was added at the dealer, the plant had not yet received them and since the producer (of the HCS decal) was in Colorado they where just sent straight to the dealer. That is why if you look at Jons' HCS scoop you will notice it is not centered, a mistake from the dealer, but very unique. All HCS's had there Lucas lights installed at the factory because Ford had already discontinued using Marchal lights. A side note, some CS's left the factory without any lights and had Lucas lights installed at the dealer.
Doug
Doug

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=828;start=0#msg4666 date=1080532382]
For the GT/CS's, everything was added at the factory, except for the recalled Marchal lights which had the Lucas lights dealer installed, hence some CS's having the wrong or no attaching hardware.
[/quote]

So they were just careful as to which cars they were putting the cal special script on the quarter? Were those done at the factory also?

68sunlitgold

Yes the "california special" script was also attached at the factory, they had a special "jig" to drill the holes. Therefore, the HCS even though labeled a GT/CS as far as options, must have had a "special" identifier to inform the assembly line not to drill out the quarter panels for the script. I guess the identifier could have just been the "DSO".

Doug