• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Headrests

franklinair

I have a pair of primo '68 seat backs, no headrests, and a primo pair of '69 headrests.
I also have a pair of trashed '69 seatbacks with headrests.
Can the hardware from the '69 seatbacks be switched to the '68 seatbacks?

Neil

Powell

Neil
Back in 2012 dalorzo_f posted a fix for using the 69 headrest on the 68 seat that looks promising. Try a search and let us know what you think.

dalorzo_f

No welding required and an easy add-on in the context of most projects.

You can bolt in a simple plate and install the 69's. I actually almost made a kit, but interest was low. I have a template for the plate and was going to get 40 or so laser cut but never pulled the pin on that one...

If the seat frame is apart its a matter of making a small cut in the metal to make a slot for the post, and a similar cut in the foam.

I'll dig up pics.

dalorzo_f

Here's a '68

And a '69

And the parts (first ones, a rough square plate prototype)

And installed

Two (IIRC) 3/8" bolts to mount the plate to the seat back using the existing oval holes, then 4 small ones for the 69 support to the plate. I used bolts and nuts, you could just tap the palter depending on thickness. IIRC I used a 3/16" (4mm plate, available as seen off-the-shelf) which is probably overkill, Was leaning towards 3/32" if I produced them The square plate causes some issues with access for upholstery to the final shape was a "kinda H" shaped on its side with a few lumps to get the mounting points in solid metal and keep the rest of the plate clear of the rest.

Last edited:

Ruppstang

What is the easiest is to just use the 69 seat back. The 68 cover work just fine on them.
Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

As upholstery work is not my forte' , I was/am planning to have an upholstery shop do the work.
Since I do have the '69 seatbacks (thanks to Dominick), primo Black '69 headrests, and a new set of Black front seat covers (thanks to Arlie) I've ordered new seat cushions, and will just have the '69 seatbacks reupholstered.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Yep, if you have 69's and are happy to split the set then that works too. Can also just reuse the entire '69 lowback set, think the base is basically the same.

This is a way to just add the '69 headrest to a pair of '68's.

Here in Oz a set of half decent '69's will run you $400+ as 69's are very popular here. Far cheaper to just buy a pair of '69 repro headrests and add them if reupholstering, as finding OEM '68 style is near impossible.

whodat

I still have the pair I got from Arlie.

Last edited:

whodat

Is there a way to pull the headrest out of a 69 seat without removing the bracket in the seat?

dalorzo_f

You can pull the headrest out, but you would need to buy another sleeve/bracket.

I have developed a bolt in kit, laser cut steel plates, all mounting hardware included with full written instructions to add 69s to a 68 seat.

It can be done without reupholstering, but requires peeling the back upholstery out of the way, which on old/stiff originals may stress the stitching quite a bit. I've done it on two sets of seats successfully...

PM me if anyone is interested.

dalorzo_f

Hmmm... the few sets I've worked with just slid in and out. The spring to hold the headrest in one of the 3 or 4 positions has detents, but never had it behave like a lock...

Have had to do a similar trick to install, to get the double-U spring clip out of the way...

whodat

I got them out by removing the top bottom bolts on the bracket and pulled really hard out of frustration until they slid out surprising the hell out of me.
dd2957194cd8818ca697a1b69fec7dc5.jpg