• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

R code CS question

gt bandit

Hello ,

can anyone tell me if the R code Calspecials have reinforced shock towers ?

Is there any other reinforcing that R code cars have in 1968?

thanks

shaun

GTCSMustang

I have an R-code HCS and it has reinforced shock towers just line all 428 CJ Mustangs and Shelbys in 1968. There is no other reinforcing that I am aware of.

Scott

robert campbell

Shaun,
This question should provide some lively discussion! First I would expect all 428 “R” code Mustangs to have the welded shock towers as Scott indicates. Most noticeable by the welding on the forward and backside of the shock tower, close to the engine. Easy to see in a small block car, but not so easy for a big block. They have “some kinda full” engine compartments.

Which brings me to: In my experience I have seen “J” code cars with welded shock towers. They were true GT cars. It seems that the welded shock towers were part of the heavy-duty suspension that comes with a true GT. I have also seen Marti identified “S” and “A” code 67 Mustangs with the “competition suspension” option that did not have the GT option. They also had welded shock towers. The competition suspension option is closely related to the GT suspension portion of the GT option.

So that said, again from what I have seen and learned, it seems that the reinforced shock tower towers followed the heavy-duty suspension more than the engine size. Of course many or most big blocks were GT’s and very loaded with options. And especially 428 cars!!!

I bet there are a lot of true GT owners on this board that will shed even more light on this. Curious if and of the X code cars on the site do not have the GT option. If they are reinforced it lends back that all big blocks got welded shock towers whether they were GT’s or not.

Another anomaly of this Mustang hobby that can defy even the most thorough reseach!!

Rob

John McGilvary

My 428CS/CJ came with re-inforced shock towers.

It will be very interesting to hear if any CS's that are not R-codes came with
re-inforced shock towers.

John

CougarCJ

All 428CJ 1968's should have the reinforcing.

I have it from a reliable source that the Mustangs and their sister car the Mercury Cougar got reinforced shock towers starting in March of 1968. This would be for R, S, and X code Mustangs.

The introduction of the 428CJ Mustang was on or about April fool's day 1968.

Russ

I have a true, original "J" code GT coupe, and it does not have welded shock towers. The car was built in late February. Hope this helps, Russ

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

This is an interesting discussion

Now can anyone post a photo of the reinforced shock towers - so i can verify mine one way or the other.

Mine is a April 6 car with GT option

GTCSMustang

I've never heard of anything other than 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs having reinforced shock towers in 1968. That would include regular Mustang, HCS, GT/CS, and GT500KR. Cougars were different, I'm just talking Mustangs. Maybe a few other than 428s got the reinforced shock towers, but it was the exception. It had nothing to do with heavy duty suspension. It was R-code specific. 1968 G.T.-350 and 1968 G.T.-500 got welded shock tower bracing but not the wrap-around bracing that the GT500KRs got.

Scott

John McGilvary

I've never heard of anything other than 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs having reinforced shock towers in 1968. That would include regular Mustang, HCS, GT/CS, and GT500KR. Cougars were different, I'm just talking Mustangs. Maybe a few other than 428s got the reinforced shock towers, but it was the exception. It had nothing to do with heavy duty suspension. It was R-code specific. 1968 G.T.-350 and 1968 G.T.-500 got welded shock tower bracing but not the wrap-around bracing that the GT500KRs got.

Scott

I was thinking the same thing, Scott.

There is a pic in my gallery. ( California Special/428CJ/2006, #16 )
The engine bay was prety dusty then, but you can see the reinforcements.

John

robert campbell

I will have to dig deep for a photo. I have seen a 1968 "J" code fasback GT with welded shock towers. I know this does not justify 68 cars, but my 67 "S" code fastback had welded shock towers.

Rob

GTCSMustang

Rob,
I wonder it you and I are talking about two different things (reinforced vs welded).
Scott

robert campbell

Scott,
You are correct, I am speaking to the welded reinforcement of a stock tower. I owned a 68 Shelby GT 500 KR in the mid 70's. It had the wrap around brackets. That supports the thought that the only a 428 car had these. I dug out an old engine compartment photo and see exactly what we are talking about!

Yes, like a fool I sold it...... Sold it for $4k in 1975 to buy my first house... You think I might want it back???

Sorry for my confusion!!!

Rob