• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear valance opinion..

Should I change it?

• YES

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • NO

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

ahainline

I have been mulling over the idea of changing up the look of the rear valance on my CS. I have been considering making it look like the rear valance of a 69 Shelby GT500..

From this
l_315fd075d8d18d5686a021cf9dc6a0d3.jpg

to this

Shelby17.jpg

Even possible to do?

If it is possible, is it dumb to change it?

BroadwayBlue

It would probalby look cool.

I would think the exhaust can be routed OK.

I'm not sure about the decklid though from the fastback to the coupe.
They are different widths. Or could you leave the original deck lid in place and just do the rear panel and valance.

I think you need to do the rear panel too due to the license plate mounting and gas filler.

I have no idea what I'm talking about so take it all with a grain of salt!

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

It would probalby look cool.

I would think the exhaust can be routed OK.

I'm not sure about the decklid though from the fastback to the coupe.
They are different widths. Or could you leave the original deck lid in place and just do the rear panel and valance.

I think you need to do the rear panel too due to the license plate mounting and gas filler.

I have no idea what I'm talking about so take it all with a grain of salt!

I wouldnt be touching anything but the valance.. I dont want to deal with the license plate stuff or the deck lid. Would just put the plate in the back window whenever I drove it.

Perkchiro

Well, my creedo is to never change anything that can't be changed back to original. Sounds like that change would destroy the car's original CS parts and look. So, in short I would strongly suggest........NO!:nonono2:

But then again, I do love the look of the Shelby. It's your car, do whatever flips your trigger!

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Well, my creedo is to never change anything that can't be changed back to original. Sounds like that change would destroy the car's original CS parts and look. So, in short I would strongly suggest........NO!:nonono2:

But then again, I do love the look of the Shelby. It's your car, do whatever flips your trigger!
How is this something that cant be changed back? Repro valance and cut it..save original. Exhaust on the car already isnt original so that isnt an issue. I am talking strictly looks wise.

nates68

Hi Tony, I Think The Gt-valance With Exhuast Cutouts Looks Just As Good. You Can Put Cool Tips On Them. That Way You Dont Have To Cut Anything. But Im All For Modified As Long As You Can Put It Back To Stock. As I Did On Mine.

Nates68

J.Bart

my two cents, and this is all personal opinion to everyones preference. i think the cs rear looks way better. i have always thought the 69 shelbys steered away from the mustang style.

franklinair

I like the '68 GT valance design. I've just gone thru a lot of work & $$$ to achieve it.
$400 dual exhaust installation
$ 40 Repro valance (they DON'T fit)
$350 to have the repro's cutouts installed onto the original valance (welded,
finished, painted)
$ 90 correct exhaust extensions
($1,000,000. skinned knuckles, blood loss) ;)

Neil

rvrtrash

If you decide to do it, I don't think it would be a big deal. The hard part is finding the cast alum. tailpipe outlet/tip. It shouldn't be a big deal to mount the license plate over the gas cap either. Take off the stock flip open, put on a twist cap and use the lic. plate bracket from a '68-'69 Fairlane. With that being said, I think the '68 GT valance looks good also, and is less work, considering you'll have equal headache getting whatever valance you put on to fit right. One thing you might consider to blend the two looks is to put on a repo GT valance, use rectangular tips instead of the two pipe GT look, and weld in a piece of metal in the bottom of the cutout, making it look like the tip is coming through the valance. Sort of an early 60's Alfa look.

Steve

Perkchiro

How is this something that cant be changed back? Repro valance and cut it..save original. Exhaust on the car already isnt original so that isnt an issue. I am talking strictly looks wise.

Maybe I misunderstood to what extent you were thinking when you described the change to the rear end. If you use those Shelby endcaps, I would think you'd encounter some massaging of the rear quarter sheet metal. Is there enough room to run exhaust pipes to the rear of the gas tank and get them to exit the rear valance? That would be a trick too. Modified gas tank? I dunno, I'm no expert, but it just looked like a major tear apart project.

robert campbell

I agree with Steves approach to the conversion. It would hugely unique and I always liked the 69 Shelby exhaust look! Easy to change back.

The 68 bumper does not have as big a cutout, so it appears that the exhaust may need to be a bit lower, but it should work. Of note is the clearance between the gas tank and the valance. I would try to find a 69 and look this over carefully.

That cast alluminum exhaust tip is spendy to say the least. Also they are harder to keep up, but that should not pose a huge problem.

I think it would be very cool and unique! But I am a bit of a resto mod-er.

One of my favorite exhaust treatments is the 65 66 trumpets or a 70ish Charger /Challanger "e" body car with the rectangle tips completely through the valance surrounded by 4 sides and not a lower cut out.

Rob

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

thanks for all the input guys, this is obviously a ways off due to the money it would cost to do it. I think the tip that comes through the valance itself is close to $300.. not to mention a complete exhaust and while I am at it I might as well change out the exhaust manifolds for some headers. So right there I would be looking at close to $1500 without any labor.

sam

rear valance change

Keep the California Special look the same. But consider changing the valance with cut outs for dual exhaust/twin tips. It's a classy look.

tworings

I would vote for the dual exhaust look (that's what was done to ours sometime before we got it) ~Lisa

franklinair

I voted Yes, to change it - BUT - I would change it to the '68 GT dual exhaust with the correct dual tips. IF you change the exhaust manifolds as well, I would recommend the Hi-Po exhaust manifolds, not headers. The Hi-Po manifolds are an easy bolt on, look more original, cost is probably less than headers, and will last longer.
Be advised that the repro valances do not fit well at all. I opted to re-use my original valance, utilizing the cut out sections of the repro panel. A good body shop should be able to do the metal work & paint for $300+/-. Good luck whichever course you choose.

Neil Hoppe