• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 You In A Book

hookedtrout

It's time for me to start collecting names for the book I'm doing, so I have a contact. If you are a member here at CaliforniaSpecial.com and have a 1968 California Special or High Country Special I would like you to be in the new Coffee Table Photo Book I'm creating, you will have the option to purchase the non for profit book upon completion but you are not obligated to buy one, we would still love to have you and your car included in the book. I want to also emphasize if you have a 1968 GT/CS or HCS sitting in pieces we would love to have you and pictures of your project included in the book, these cars are not all out there in perfect restored condition, we want them all as they are. Please be a part.

If you meet these requirements and want to be a part please do the following and only the following, I do not want any history or photos at this point. I am going to do each individuals chapter in the book one at a time so I will contact you when it's your turn and request your information with clear and consise details at that time. For now all I want is an email exactly as follows. The subject line need to be only these three words, "me in book" this is to help me identify the emails quickly by auto sorting them, if you add or subtract anything it will not recognize and auto sort.

Send to gtcs@fairpoint.net

Subject Line: me in book

In the email include your name/s (real name) First and last, i.e. Cory Goulding or Cory and Trina Goulding. Also include your username for membership authentication. And one email address that you will be able to corespond with me.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks Cory

Last edited:
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Here is what will be needed!!

Below are the details for what we would like as for information and photo requirements. If you want to be in the book please be proactive in your preparation, start now so you are ready when I request the information it will help speed up this process, thanks. Your story can be sent via Microsoft Word or in an email, I can cut and paste it in where I need it.

Here is what I plan for each member chapter, we plan 2 pages per member, one of which can be a single small size photo of preferably you and your car and then the details and story behind your car, the adjacent page can be a full size single photo a cluster of photos up to 5-6 or up to 16 photos squared up organized photos however the more there are the smaller they get. There are some photo layouts with options of text over the photos and some have description areas below the photos so you can explain each shot if you want.

We want all member 1968 CS and HCS cars regardless of condition, this is about us and our hopes and dreams and hard work so all conditions from rusted out to concourse is perfect. Take pictures and sign up.

I will try and get some screen shots of the book and share them with you as I progress.

When I complete your chapter I will let you know by sending you a preview for your approval prior to finishing your chapter.

Your Chapter Information

· Owner/s info: name and a brief description of who you are and where you are from and please include your CaliforniaSpecial.com username so we all get used to who is who.

· Car Details: Exterior color, engine, transmission, interior, options, modifications,

· History of acquisition: How and when did you come by the car/s

· History of your car: Stories around the car, car shows, races, crashes, current condition, wish list, restoration, restoration plans, hopes, dreams what ever you want to put in the story of your car.

Your Photo Information below. (I'm no digital photo expert I just know what it says in the book software) to check your photo size scroll your cursor over the thumbnail of your digital picture and it should give you a #### X #### for the size.

· Photos must be at least 2600 X 3100 pixels for a full page spread such as the cover of the book.

· Photos must be at least 2300 X 1700 pixels for a full page spread inside the book.

· Smaller photos are 1000 X 1500 pixels.

· For the cluster photos it looks like around 1700 X 1700 pixels would cover it.

· If you scan in regular photos they need to be scanned in at least 600 dpi.

In the journals that I have already completed I used some photos that did not meet the requirements, they turn out but they aren't as crisp and clear. If you have no other photos or no way to get other photos we can use them they just won't be as nice as the large pixel photos.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

A quick update on the book, I have compiled an email list of those that have signed up and just sent out the first book update including pictures. We currently have 25 people signed up to be a part of the book and the list though small at this point includes members from several countries.

I've been getting some help from a few members in getting together the first couple of chapters, a section on the GT/CS and HCS cars and a section on this web site and our little family of members.

I encourage you if you haven't signed up to be a part get it done, cost is ZERO, NADA, NOTHING to be in the book, the only cost is if you elect to buy a book which you don't have to do. All that will be required to be in the book is that you send me a short history of you and your car and how you became a couple and some digital pictures of the car. Follow the instructions above if you would like to be included. I don't know why anyone with a CS or HCS wouldn't want to be included.

Included below is a sample of our fist shot at the cover.

Thanks, Cory

Attachments

• book picture.jpg
    book picture.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

More Samples of the Book.

Here are a few more photos of how the book is coming along.

The first sample is a chapter on the history and the second sample is actually a comparison to show everyone two different styles of photo clustering so they can choose how they want to include the photos of their car.

Moving fast now.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Cory

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Cluster Pages.jpg
    Cluster Pages.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I have been asked the question if someone that does not have a 1968 GT/CS or HCS can purchase a book. The answer is yes, anyone in the world will be able to buy one of these books once I publish and post it to the Blurb web site.

The sad part will be if you have a 1968 GT/CS or HCS and it isn't in the book and you purchase a book. If you have one you might as well have it in the book.

If you are out there debating on putting your car in please drop me an email or PM if you need help getting a story put together or don't have pictures and don't know what to do, I will do all I can in helping you get what you need. It isn't that difficult and I'd be glad to help any way I can, hate for anyone to miss out.

It is going to be awesome and even more so if your car and little story is tucked in there on a page or two.

Cory

GT/CS S Code

Photos ...?

Hey Cory,
What resolution do the photos have to be if they were taken as digital shots to begin with (not scanned from regular photos). Do they still need to be 600 dpi like you suggested for the scanned photo versions?
Just curious before we start altering the sizes of some of the photos we'll be sending you for the book.
Cheers,
Al & Laurie
aka
GT/CS S Code

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

The photos that I have been receiving have been in JPEG format which works perfect and the size has been 800k up to 1.5MB and they have been working great. And my email receives them fine.

Hope that helps. This is probably my weakest link, sizing of the photos, I know what works and what doesn't but trying to convert them from Bitmaps and other stuff is more than I want to dig in to.

Cory

Hey Cory,
What resolution do the photos have to be if they were taken as digital shots to begin with (not scanned from regular photos). Do they still need to be 600 dpi like you suggested for the scanned photo versions?
Just curious before we start altering the sizes of some of the photos we'll be sending you for the book.
Cheers,
Al & Laurie
aka
GT/CS S Code

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I would suggest not altering them at all. You can never increase resolution. Only decrease it. So any altering you do can only result in the same or worse resolution than the original.

I go through the same thing w/ the calendar shots each year. It's much easier on my end if people send me the original files directly off their camera. Don't let your email program resize them for you.

nates68

Hi cory, just checking did you get my story an pictures ? Let me know.

Thanks, nates68

Midnight Special

...Very exciting and generous of you Cory. And once again - I can't say enough about the outstanding quality of "Blurb" books. I have loaned mine (of another subject) to many people who are now ordering copies for themselves. You will indeed be sorry if you pass up Cory's opportunity for you!

nates68

Also a big thanks to you cory. Glad to hear im in your book.

Thanks again, nate

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Winding Down

Just wanted to remind everyone that the deadline is this weekend, 15th. I've received some last minute entries which is fine as long as you can get your story typed up and sent along with some photos for the chapter. You don't have to have a fancy entry to make the book, a brief summary on one page for your story and one picture to show off your CS will suffice but it all needs to be to me by the 15th of this month.

Cory

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Go Cory go! We (almost) have a book! Thank you for taking the time to do this between river rafting and fly fishing.

Just so everyone knows, the deadline is the 15th, it will take me through the end of the month and maybe even mid next month to get everything finished on my end and then read through it 100 times looking for the inevitable spelling or typo issues that no matter how hard I try I will miss. We certainly should have a book by Oct which has been my goal to get the book out before the holidays so anyone wanting it for a gift can order away.

Thanks for all your support, the stories and photos are all yours, I'm just the organizer.

Cory

obwan93001

=-o I will get my info in ASAP!

Hi Cory and everyone!

I have not been on here much in the past 6 months or so, life, work and other things have taken precedence and also kinda took a break from our CS. Have accumalated a bunch of new/used parts to install and still needs alot to go. I'm gaining my interest back slowly, had to rebuild the suspension on my '00 Expedition the other weekend so that has sidetracked me for a while too.

I had kinda figured "something" happened between this site and Paul and after reading a couple of posts a few mins ago it sounds unfortunate that things turned bad. I had met him (and some of you) at the GT/CS 40th last year and exchanged some PMs w/him here and he seemed like a very nice guy to me. But hey, poop occurs and peeps change. I'm hoping to get the two books I bought as well, one is for my dad who will be 78 in Nov.

In regards to Cory's book, I'll make every attempt to sumbit our CS's info to you by the 15th. I have a few pics but it has not been painted so isn't very purdy right now but I'll get a couple in there and a short story w/all the pertinent info you'll need. Thanks for your work Cory!

Best regards to all of our growing CS family here!

Oscar