• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lower Console

robert campbell

All,
This is kinda a classified, but here goes. I have converted all my stock gauges to Autometer gauges. Now I have tach in my GT/CS. But of course I do not have “idiot” lights for the oil pressure and the ammeter like a car with a factory tach. Not a big idiot light guy. I like gauges. And I want a boost gauge for the car for the supercharger. Soooo….. I experimented with mounting a couple gauges to my ashtray. Made some pods and butchered an old ashtray…… Did not like the look. Sooo… Back to the drawing board. Actually back to what Carroll Shelby did in 1968. I am going to purchase a 1968 Shelby console from Tony Branda. I will mount the oil pressure and a voltmeter gauge in the console. The wood grain look will go great with my deluxe interior. Boost gauge is already in the clock (center) position in the instrument cluster! White faces. I love the look! If you haven’t figured it out yet, I am not an originality guy. The mods I do are easy to turn back to stock, but not a huge issue to me.

That said, is there anyone interested in a complete black lower console? It is in very good original condition with no cracks. Padded parts are perfect. The roll up door is in great shape. I few minor pits on the very most outer edge of the top plate where it meets the pad. The top plate needs the black paint redone, but that is all. It is missing the factory panel that forms the back of the storage area under the radio. I made one from a piece of sheet plastic and it holds the light. Works fine. I have seen some parts on ebay and you may be able to pick up this panel. All wiring harnesses are there and all lights work. Factory bracket under the radio is included as will be the shifter with the correct bracket to move the shift indicator light.

The radio mounting area on the front plate of the console has been carefully modified to except a small aftermarket radio AND still support a stock radio. I can supply you with extra nuts to adjust the depth of a stock radio if you use one. Radio opening is NOT butchered in any way. I did not cut the front plate radio opening or the padded panel on the front. You cannot tell it was done unless you disassemble the console. If you pull the knobs off the radio, you can tell if you look very closely. I have a small Kenwood radio that fit just fine in the original opening.

Basically, a very good original lower console totally complete sans that back panel as mentioned. I will not tell you that it is perfect, but it is in great shape. Went on ebay and saw a bunch of very rough ones. Mostly 67 consoles. Thought I might offer it up here first. I can take some pics if someone is interested.

Anyway I am looking at $600.00 for it. This will cover the cost of the Shelby console. 67 reproduction console is $1k. Have not seen a 68 repop yet.

Hey, I have some “free” gauge pods if anyone is interested. Built about 20 of them while I was at it.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
Are you talking about my dash, or the "pods" I built for the ashtray? The three guages in my instrument cluster are, from left to right, fuel, boost, and temp. So I do not have oil pressure and ampmeter. You could eliminate the boost gauge, but your are still one "hole" short of having enough to have a gauge for the idiot lights.

I can take a pic of the ashtray mod and there is a post called Gauge Cluster that shows pics of my instrument cluster. Other guys on the site have done this conversion to. Haneline offers an instument cluster that has the capability of 4 small gauges that would solve your problem. It is in "engine turn" finish and not my favorite look for a 1968 Mustang.

Let me know if you want a modified ashtray pic. Heck, I will send it to you if you want it for the cost of shipping.

Rob

Midnight Special

...I guess I mis-read (before a.m. coffee;-) Rob. I'm not interested in the ashtray style, rather just mounting of aux. oil, temp and amp gauges attractively w/o replacing the factory ones in the dash. Now that I've seen your "gauge cluster" post - that may become a nice option. Thanks!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
I have the same problem in my 67 Fastback. I put a two gauge aftermarket cluster below the ignition key on the bottom of the dash, "60's style". Never have liked it. Hard to see and it looks so "added". I have been trying to come up with a way to add two gauges tastefully. The 67 Shelby had a two gauge pod under the radio. The 68 Shelby had a full console with the oil and alt gauges. Best I have seen so far.

You can get a windshield post 2 and 3 gauge pod. A little to "new age tuner" for me. My brother in law mounted 3 gauges in the dash plate area above the radio. His is a non- air conditioning car and so are both of mine. He used three 1 1/2 diameter gauges and they are very small. And they would not fit in the factory piece so he used a piece of aluminum. It looks “ok” but still not what I like. The ashtray thought looked ok, but out of place. If you could find a way to “tastefully” add a factory looking piece above the radio that matched the instrument cluster and dash piece above the glove box and wide enough to support three 2 and 1/16 diameter gauges…. Yah babe!! I think you could pinch the dash pad enough to get a wide enough piece and be unnoticeable. But it would not match up well with the other two dash pieces….

Haneline has the instrument cluster with 4 holes. If they offered it in Woodgrain, it may be a nice way to go.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. How to do this tastefully. You will more than likely end up with a two gauge cluster on the bottom of the dash like I did. Cheapest way.

Rob