• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 X code

franklinair

See if someone on the site has first hand knowledge of this car for an objective opinion. I, and others have found that there are 'restored' cars, and then there are 'restored' cars. Know what I mean? Photos would help.
If its a righteous car, $21 K sounds very good to me for a big block car. (But they're a BEAR to work on--try changing the spark plugs!!) And look closely at the shock towers. The extra torque in a 390 can cause them to crack.

Neil

OP
OP
P

planemove

yes it is the car. I think it was for sale last year and I had heard comments about what he did to the interior, Some people did not like what he had done.

Midnight Special

...(But they're a BEAR to work on--try changing the spark plugs!!) And look closely at the shock towers. The extra torque in a 390 can cause them to crack.

Neil

Neil, I have two S-codes and the spark plugs are no problem at all! 'Little tighter, but not bad. Niether has AC though, so that may be the kicker. Ironicly, my '69 big block has a lot less access than the '68...

dalorzo_f

The X code, while a big block, is an "underappreciated" version as a 2V. An example of where "rare" does not translate to big $. Less than 800 made, less than 10% of S code production, but don't bring anywhere near the same coin.

As noted, "restored" means many things, from respray over pop-rivited and Bondo'd panles to a factory correct effort.

If its a solid car in "very good" condition 21 would be reasonable.

As a "kinda similar" for comparison. I recently bought a pretty plain jane X code coupe as a project mule for 11k in "good driver" condition. New interior, faded paint and some typical dings, battery tray apron rust and the trunk lid lip was bondo-over-rust (but will get replaced with Shelby-style fiberglass, so not a problem). Needed an exhaust system. But other than that pretty solid.

X code, PS, PB, AM, deluxe wheel covers so nothing exotic, option-wise. Dealer installed under dash AC.

And I'd love to agree on the plugs on an S code, but on my two (no AC) the ones by the shock towers are a PITA to get to....

OP
OP
P

planemove

Well I guess it's not that great of a deal. I have a body shop so to rebuild a car is not a big deal. I would like to find a big block 4 speed car that needs to be restored If anyone knows of one Let me know

Thanks Bryan

Midnight Special

Well I guess it's not that great of a deal. I have a body shop so to rebuild a car is not a big deal. ....

Thanks Bryan

An X-code GT/CS is a bigger "deal" than a regular coupe, IMO. Not a hot rod to be sure, but a rare and unique conversation piece nonetheless. Many of us who have had a lot of these get a "been there done that - no big deal" attitude and get bored - until we go to a Starbucks or someplace where the majority who are "non-experts" charge us up with genuine appreciation over technical blah,blah... I guess it depends on what you enjoy most about owning these cars... Impressing a few (bored) experts who will always find a way to 1-up you?...or being an ambassador to a rare piece of '60's auto history for the many who consistently remember and appreciate.

A factory big block GT/CS in any form would fill the bill!

OP
OP
P

planemove

What you are saying is why I don’t show my cars. I do all my own work I do good work, as a hobby. Then someone comes along with a car they paid someone to do and they win. (because they have the money), I’ve just never found that to be fare why not have a class for people that work on their own cars

Midnight Special

What you are saying is why I don’t show my cars. I do all my own work I do good work, as a hobby. Then someone comes along with a car they paid someone to do and they win. (because they have the money), I’ve just never found that to be fare why not have a class for people that work on their own cars

I totally agree. And I am one of those who bought cars that have won over folks who built theirs. But, my point is I don't give a damn about winning awards. All the shows I attend are "popular choice" and I do it as an outing verses competition. My point also (and reason for having GT/CSs) is that you can have a car show every day just by driving to a mini-mart, gas station, you name it....and your work WILL be appreciated, admired and discussed! And when you have character that matches your craftsmanship - all the better! You become a consistent winner through gratitude of people who get to see & speak with you verses a single-minded (judge) and a trophy that your kids will one day give to Goodwill when you pass... ....But that's just "me" talking....>

Attachments

• gtcs.jpg
    gtcs.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 28

franklinair

I understand what you're saying: I do show my car(s) in local shows but for MCA shows I put mine in the 'unjudged' category. I don't build Concourse level cars, and I had an experience many years ago that the MCA officials insisted that my '67 GTA convertible go in the Concourse category. Since then, I only enter cars in shows for fun.
It is amazing, the reaction & questions you get about GT/CS models. MANY people have never seen one or even know about them. I enjoy explaining & showing it for that reason. People are really interested & surprised about these models.

Neil

OP
OP
P

planemove

What you are saying is why I don’t show my cars. I do all my own work I do good work as a hobby and someone comes along with a car they paid someone to do and they win because they have the money, I’ve just never found that to be fare. Have a class for people that work on their own cars

Bryan

dalorzo_f

Not sure how showing got into the converstion of what the X GT/CS is worth.

For a full resto, it will most likely never be worth what is invested (especially if some of the S/X specific parts are missing, costs are astronomical for some due to the low numbers and demand for S parts driving prices based on the value of S codes, well above a similarly optioned/condition X code), but that's true of "most" Mustangs.

Rare is a term bandied about, and as so many options were offered about 60% of Mustangs are "rare", Pebble Biege, "rare" color, about 5,000 cars, but then about 4 or 5 other colors are about 10k units, so now based on color 35,000-40,000 cars are "rare"...???

It's a low build number car, but other than the "bored" experts (more a case of not getting excited about a pink car with blue accent stripe being "rare".. how exciting! :wink: )

"Rare" usually means an unpopular options mix... not "highly desireable to collectors".

The market and demand sets prices and X codes, while unusual (there is not a lot of documentation on them, I'm poking about as I bought one recently) just don't spark big demand or value much over a similarly optioned small block.

At 21k if it is in very good condition, the price is probably "reasonable" but the X codes just don't bring a lot of interest as its a "low performance" big block.

Maine gt/cs

I agree with Tim. I have a J Code 4 speed and have no interest in putting the car in any judged contest. What we do is get 5 to 15 of so different makes of cars and go for a day trip or weekend ride and put on a fun, traveling show by stopping at gas stations, mall parking lots, and where ever we feel like stopping. All the fun is in all the looks and questions about our cars. Mine is the only 68 gt/cs on the road that I have seen or heard of here in Maine. I have people asking me how it was made to What is that. I love answering all the questions and all the looks the cars get. To me, this is what having something that you really enjoy is all about, no matter what kind of car you have, or what it is. This is the only type of judging that I like. No trophy's or anything like that. Just all the oohs and ahhs makes my day that people think I did a good job at fixing up the car and made their day buy showing off all the cars. Another Tim

nates68

I understand what you're saying: I do show my car(s) in local shows but for MCA shows I put mine in the 'unjudged' category. I don't build Concourse level cars, and I had an experience many years ago that the MCA officials insisted that my '67 GTA convertible go in the Concourse category. Since then, I only enter cars in shows for fun.
It is amazing, the reaction & questions you get about GT/CS models. MANY people have never seen one or even know about them. I enjoy explaining & showing it for that reason. People are really interested & surprised about these models.

Neil

Neil, this is the same reason i went away from "stock" I still enjoy doing shows but now i can have fun. I make and rebuild my own cars the way i like them.Most people like the way i did it. even Tim...lol , We all love our cars.

nates68 :icon_lol: