• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Two GT/CS's together today!

erselt

Thanks to this board I met another owner who lives 20 minutes away from me. Robert and I met up today and talked shop and took lots of photos. Our cars were both built on the same day too--WOW! We're in Northern, CA if there are other owners that would like to meet as well. It is great to compare the cars side by side, because you can sure learn alot.

My GT/CS is Tahoe Turquoise with the deluxe aqua interior. I forget the blue color of Robert's but he does have original Marshal lights and it's a nice car.
Eric

Attachments

• 2gtcs.jpg
    2gtcs.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
E

erselt

Here's another pic of our cars today!
Eric
[quote author=erselt link=board=1;threadid=408;start=0#msg2230 date=1054426014]
Thanks to this board I met another owner who lives 20 minutes away from me. Robert and I met up today and talked shop and took lots of photos. Our cars were both built on the same day too--WOW! We're in Northern, CA if there are other owners that would like to meet as well. It is great to compare the cars side by side, because you can sure learn alot.

My GT/CS is Tahoe Turquoise with the deluxe aqua interior. I forget the blue color of Robert's but he does have original Marshal lights and it's a nice car.
Eric

[/quote]

Attachments

• 2csgt2.jpg
    2csgt2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
E

erselt

And another pic...

Attachments

• 2gtcs3.jpg
    2gtcs3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 17

Sarge

OK Eric beat me to posting pictures. It was great to compare them side by side, and we "talked shop" for over 2 hours. One question became very clear... What is up with the stripes on the tail of my car? ??? Were they from a Shelby, wrong type or what? My paint color is the Acapulco Blue, but I sure did like his deluxe interior!!!

Robert

rjw

It is a neat perspective to have two side by side...that's a first for me! Nice cars, guys!
Richard

Calspecialdreamer

Robert,
Do you not have the side stripes either? You are correct about the rear stripe. It is too thick and too small, but I'm not sure if it is a shelby stripe. One thing I do know, those two cars look GREAT together!

Sarge

I do have the side stripes, I had to figure out how to shrink down the pic to 100 kb...

Attachments

• Twins.jpg
    Twins.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 14

Calspecialdreamer

Sarge,
I've been looking at some Shelby's and I don't believe they had a rear stripe!?!?! Looks to me they had them at the bottom and maybe racing stripes down the middle, but I primarily looked at 68's. I will keep looking. Do you know where the rear stripes were purchased?

Sarge

I do not know where the stripes were purchased, but car was re-painted about 4 years ago (striped then, I guess). I purchased the car about a year and a half ago.

Robert

hookedtrout

My GT/CS has the wrong rear stripe as well. When they repainted it they had all the stripes custom made rather than ordering a kit. They took pictures and then went to a local Tint and Trim place and my rear stripe does not look correct either. It is way to small all the way around. Anyway I'd bet that your incorrect stripe was somebodys attempt to recreate the original that didn't come out exactly right. Whether it was to save money or because they didn't know where to get the correct kit is anybody's guess and that's my guess on mine as well.

Cory

Sarge

Since my trunk/tail stripes seem to be incorrect, has anyone taken stripes off, and what did they use to remove them. I see a product called "3M Woodgrain and
Stripe Adhesive Remover", would this do the trick without damaging the paint underneath the stripes?

Doug, quicknick or anyone else who may know of a product, or done this, please "chime in". I may have more specific questions that I could email separately.

Thanks, Robert :-\

darb

I've heard that if you can get an end to peel up you can take a soft plastic piece and run it underneath the striping causing it to peal back - slowly pulling and guiding it along the way. You'll need something soft and plastic to not damage the paint underneat.

I've also heard to some adhesive removers working - just read the back label, and try it somewhere on the car, like under the fender or in the trunk - to see if it pulls the paint off.

Most adhesive removers WONT remove the paint, but make sure you can get it on the stripe adhesive.

Your local body shop might have some ideas, my stripe was removed partially by the bodyshop. They did a clean job.

-Brad

bish

When I restored mine, I just pulled them off by hand. They left no adhesive. However the ones that I removed were 6yrs old max, not 30+

quicknick

I would suggest heating them up before trying any chemical removers. The wifes blow dryer works great for this job. Warm a corner, and start peeling slowly. Thats what we use here at the body shop.

Sarge

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I'll let you know what happens!
Robert

OP
OP
E

erselt

I thought I'd post this pic of Robert's front end/fog light. I'd never seen the Marchal lights in person and it looks SO much nicer than the Lucas' because they're just floating in the front grille area.

Attachments

• marchal.jpg
    marchal.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8