• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Deck lid question

dpheyes

Does anyone out there know what we should use to reattach the fiberglas portion of the deck lid to it's metal frame? The original glue is all crumbly and the lid is not held on well anymore. We definitely want to get it all straight and tight before painting. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

rvrtrash

The frame isn't metal, it's fiberglass, like the skin. Fiberglass resin would make it permanent or you could use an adhesive caulk.

Steve

obwan93001

Similar situation

Hi all and happy Monday (I know, an oxymoron). I don't mean to hijack this thread just thought it'd be better than starting another one.

The original deck lid on our '68 is a bit warped as can be seen from the sides, with one side being a bit worse. The car is at my parent's which is 30 miles from me and I don't have pics to post as of yet and with rain forecast for the next couple of days it may not be until the upcoming weekend. But I wanted to ask if the warpage is repairable or am I stuck w/having to look for a replacement? I'd hate to use a repop lid as I'm really, really into keeping as much of the original parts as possible, I'm weird that way :wink: Plus can't really afford to pay for an nice original deck lid if I found one anyways. Mine is in great shape minus the warping. I have no experience with fiberglass repair but am willing to learn if that's what it takes. Hell, I rebuilt the entire suspension and power steering myself (not having done anything like that before) and have put over 150 miles on it with speeds of 80+ mph a few times and nothing has fallen off or 'sploded! :thumb:

If anyone here has dealt with deck lid warping, any suggestions for fixing it are greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks!

obwan93001

case12

I think you are going to find that most everyone with the original decklid is going to have the decklid warped some. Mine is. In past posts it has been discussed that a way to fix it is to lay a towel down on top and then pile a bunch of shop manuals (or old encylopedias) on top of the towel and wait over the winter. I have tried this and it seemed to work some, but the warping seems to come back. So, I have learned to live with it as part of the uniqueness of the car. It will be interested to hear of other experiences on this. Casey