• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Timberline Green paint in a rattlecan

66 Dearborn HCS

Is it possible to get those old paints in a spraycan? This may sound kinda silly, but I picked up a Monogram model of a '66 coupe and want to paint it like my HCS. I just don't know if I can get the right color. I have an airbrush, but I've heard that using the original paint would eat the plastic and I'd have a Timberline Green blob. I've also heard that trying to do it is difficult because you'd have to mix the hardener and all that like regular car paint. Too much of a PITA.

Anybody else done this before? Is it do-able?

Scott W.

L8GR868

Hey
I was needing paint for my grille and pedistals. I took the paint numbers to a local paint shop in Oklahoma City. They mixed the paint for me while I waited. I sprayed it and it turned out great. It looks great. The can was $12.00 and saved mixing in hardeners. No mess. I didn't have to search the world to find the original paint just my back yard.

L8GR868

Here is the phone number of the paint store were I have bought my paint they are very helpful. If you need me to help further just let me know. They are located in Oklahoma City.
B&H Supply Co
405-946-9813

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

Thanks, after talking with a few people, Paul Newitt among them, automotive paint is too thick to use on scale models. I'm gonna have to figure out another way to match Timberline Green.

darb

Try painting the vehicle paint you have on a high gloss white surface and then taking that paint sample to a hardware store like OSH or a specialty paint store...they have machines that can pickup the color codes out of that data and then they can mix the paint with the closest match of "spray" or gallon paint.

That would probably be your best bet.

Brad

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=Darb link=board=1;threadid=934;start=0#msg5389 date=1087253186]
they have machines that can pickup the color codes out of that data and then they can mix the paint with the closest match of "spray" or gallon paint.
[/quote]

Great idea, but can they mix paint that will be thin enough to spray through an airbrush and not be too thick for the details on a plastic model?

darb

At the least they can give you the color combination codes for each color and the percentages in a printout for a small fee, and you can have any paint mixing company that mixes paints for airbrush spray use those codes to mixup a batch.

It wont be EXACTLY timberline green, but It'll be pretty close.

Brad

Dacecil

In the California Mustang restoration catalog, they offer all of the Mustang colors in rattle cans. The cost is $7.95 plus shipping.

I purchased some cans of Highland Green for my car, and they match well. Not perfect, but I think that's because the paint on the car is old and shot.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I would doubt that they have the 3 HCS colors since they were so special, but it's worth a call to them at least.

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

I guess it's worth a shot, but I seriously doubt they would have a color that was shot on less than ~300 cars over a 2 year time span 38 years ago.