• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Next project

franklinair

I've just started on my next GT/CS project: I'll be putting it back to it's original configuration- Sunlit Gold exterior (currently Black) and Nugget Gold interior.
It came with factory A/C, P/S, P/B, A/T, J code. I'll upgrade the A/C to a rotary compressor & R-134 freon with all new hoses, condensor, expansion valve, and drier. The interior will be upgraded to Nugget Gold Deluxe.
I'll have to modify a new '67 grill, as I used the original grill on my Highland Green CS.
All suspension needs to be replaced due to age & wear, plus the PS ram leaks. It will all be detailed to MCA specs.
I've got a lot of disassembly to do just to get it prepped for the body shop. Lots of body parts to be removed.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN.:grin:

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 57

classicsguy

Good project Neil! Sunlit gold is one of my favorite 68 colors...keep us posted

Ruppstang

Gota love that red dash! I am certain that it will be beautiful like all of your cars.
Have fun.
Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Change of heart. While the Black/Gold seems more macho, I've come to the conclusion that the Gold/Gold combo is classier. Years ago I did a '68 convertible in Gold /Gold, and it was stunning. Sold it on Ebay and it now lives in Sweden.
I don't know how many of these I have left in me, (I'll be 77 next month) and good candidates are harder to find, and getting too costly to have the costs versus finished value justified.

Neil

sam

Glad you are still at it.......................it's what keeps you going.

mbsf1970

while you're at it........can you make a second grille for me?....:grin:
I am so looking forward to watching this unfold.....where's my popcorn??
Stephen

robert campbell

I had the honor of inspecting this car for Neil. It is very solid and very original except for some amateur body work I missed in one spot up high. And of course the cool colors it was painted. The owner Neil got it from is a very nice guy. He did not do any of the amateur work, and had some very cool restorations going on in his shop!!

Neil will make her stand tall! But I liked the black exterior idea myself!! It would look so great with the nugget gold interior and gold stripes!!

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Joey; The A/C compressor is the 'one lung' piston type (soon to be history) with a FOMOCO metal tag.
I convert my cars to a rotary compressor & R-134 freon.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 26

68CaliSp

Neil,

I may have an original grill you could use. I will see about pulling it out once I am back home and get some pictures posted. However, it may be an already modified '67 grill with the added brackets. I will have to let you all decide once I get some pictures.

Cameron

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Today's dilemma:
Removed the tail light panel, found the tail light units EPOXIED to the fiberglass panel. :mad:
I'm afraid I'd destroy the fiberglass panel trying to pry the tail lights out. ($270 from NPD, and the tail lights are not even listed.)
I suppose I'll have to have the panel painted with the lights still installed. Bummer.

Neil

Attachments

• Tail lite 1.JPG
    Tail lite 1.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 37
  • Tail lite 2.JPG
    Tail lite 2.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Tail lite 3.JPG
    Tail lite 3.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Tail lite 4.JPG
    Tail lite 4.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

'fraid not. The epoxy is rock solid. Not even enough space to try and use a Dremel cutting tool to grind it out. :icon_dead
As I said, I'll have the panel painted with the lights intact & masked off. The lights are in decent shape- just need to freshen up the insides for reflectivity and sanitize the wiring a little.
THEN I'll put a PERMANENT disclaimer inside that it wasn't ME that committed the atrocity. It will work out OK as far as appearance & function, but it just bugs me that someone would do such a repair when it would have been easy enough to fix it right. Grouchy old me.

Neil

robert campbell

Dad,
Sorry to hear about irreversible stupidity... Looks like you will be able to recover, but yup, makes you so mad.

Rob

Powell

Neil, it is a long shot, but I have had great success with a product called "peels plus". It is a heavy duty degreaser,cleaner, but has worked for me in similar situations if I let it soak over several days.