• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Seeking 1967 Corvette Fiberglas Expert

P

PNewitt

You're wondering....WHAT??? Corvette???

Well, you see, A.O.Smith, in Ionia, Michigan, made the GT/CS and '68-69 Shelby body fiberglas (actually "plastic mix") parts. Before they got the contract with Ford to do those parts...they'd just finished making the last of the '67 Corvette body parts.

I would like to know about the look, texture, quality, etc...of the Vette 'glass of that specific year.

And if it's similar, what are some of the ways that the '67 Vette glass is repaired, sanded, primed and painted. Does it have spider cracks in it??

Also--does the '67 Vette glass have two colors of primer underneath--both pink and grey??

thanks!

Paul N.

di81977

I posted this back in December when Casey was buying up the blueprints on ebay:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?p=47703#post47703

Casey, I also appreciate your acquiring this history for us GT/CS and HCS enthusiasts. Thanks very much.

Not sure it has been previously mentioned, but AO Smith produced the frames and fiberglass bodies for the 60's Corvettes. According to one Corvette history book that I own, Chevrolet phased out the body build and assembly by AO Smith at the end of the Corvette's 1967 production year (interesting timing).

I also read somewhere that AO Smith produced a large percentage of all Car frames back then and were impacted when the Car companies started moving to unitized construction.

There are a lot of corvette experts. I suggest the following:

Try to contact Noland Adams. He published a book "The Complete Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide - Vol 2 1963-1967." This book is very often referred to within the Corvette C2 circles.

Also, ask some questions on the Corvette C2 forum, there are a bunch of very knowledgable enthusiasts - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=4

J_Speegle

Paul you might find that the "pink" (sometimes with specks of green) was part of the part (gel coat and part of the "plastic mix") rather than a primer coat