• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS' make a splash at Wild West Mustang Show

P

PNewitt

Yesterday, I made a visit to the "MCA Wild West Mustang Show", at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the Concord Airport, in Concord,. CA (East Bay Area, No. Calif.). it was partnered by both the Diablo Mustang Assn., and the Bay Area Mustang Assn. This event took place from June 22-24th. Their website is: www.wildwestmustangnationals.com.

I was there to document the arrival of not one but three GT/CSs. Two of them were brought by Mike and Robinette Jewell. This was Mike's FIRST judged car show (and car show of any kind) for his beautifully restored Highland Green GT390-4-speed GT/CS. Robinette brought her customed-colored bronze metallic GT/CS, too (this car's color is something to see in person! It's awesome!!).

This was a BIG show, with almost 300 Mustangs of all years there. There were some Shelbys (and a couple of clones); late model versions, and a Hertz Shelby convertible, a late model Shelby GT, and a GT-500; and a Saleen in black, as well as a new red, Ford GT, and some other neat custom Mustangs brought by vendors.

When I arrived, I had brought photocopies of the concours guidelines from my 1996 book to aid in judging by the MCA Judges--some from as far away as North Carolina! (who thought the west coast cars are quite nice!). The information was to help in any way to the judges--if they were not familiar with the GT/CS, being primarily a west-coast Mustang--still today. What I was amazed at was how they already knew about this information, through a recent submission I'd made to the chief MCA judge a few weeks ago. Apparently--word did get out. Cool!!

I won't tell you how Mike and Robinette did, that would be stealin' their thunder....stay tuned for their comments (below).

There was a third, candyapple red GT/CS that I know well--previously owned by Garry and Judy Jacobs, now owned by a nice couple from Eugene, Oregon, who drove it down for the event. This CS is pictured in my 1996 book, in the concours section.

I think that all of you with GT/CSs would be happy and proud to see our representation at this event. It was a beautiful day, and being on part of the tarmac, there was a P-51 parked about 100 feet from the CS cars. I was wearing my black GT/CS-striped t-shirt, and was stopped by several nice folks to chat about the CS, and the upcoming book. I got to meet CalGal68, and Miller511, which was a pleasant suprise!

We also handed out several "official" flyers I quickly made for Mike and Robinette the night before--to promote their GT/CS BBQ event in August (Mike will post all about that in another thread, and include the flyer as a JPEG). We even met two owners who didn't know about the Registry, or the website.

It was worth some sunburn to see everyone, and I was able to network with some great vendors, and discuss their products, including Pony Carburetors, and the people who make the new '67 Fastback unibody. Many very nice folks for a wonderful day!

I have included some photos:

Paul Newitt

Attachments

• decklids.jpg
    decklids.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Here is Mike's concours GT-390 engine. Note the attention to detail!
Awesome!

Paul.

Attachments

• mikej390.jpg
    mikej390.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Here is "Something Special" with the "Special Couple"; Mike and Robinette.

P.

Attachments

• jewells.jpg
    jewells.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Here is the concours-winning CandyApple Red GT/CS from Oregon.

This is another beautiful GT/CS to see in person!

P.

Attachments

• redcs.jpg
    redcs.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

When I say "concours", it doesn't necessairily mean "trailered", or the top class. There are many other classes. This particular car did win at a general "concours de elegance" show in Layfayette CA. many years ago, along with a highland green CS, which was beautiful, too. Pictures of these cars are in my 1996 book, in the concours section. Both cars won that day.

Even if it had the optional performance air cleaner--the point loss didn't affect the overall (high) points of the car at the shows it was shown at. It also has Cobra valve covers, which were a dealer option. ALL other details on this car are correct, and there is a high level of accuracy.

(In general) sometimes people think of the (actual) point loss, whether high or low, and then have a strategy for how they show and compete their Mustang. One can look at a MCA point system roster, and determine what they will or will not have on their car. It might not sound "purist", but it is part of the process of showing cars.

Paul.

somethingspecial

Wild West Mustang MCA West Coast Nats.

Well, after two long years of working on the car, and a lot of last minute prep, we were off to Concord, Ca. for the first show ever. It was the debut of "Project Something Special". Loaded on the trailer, I checked the chains several times, all while my Beautiful wife was washing the "Orange Blossom Special".

We arrived in Concord about dusk, and unloaded the car. We couldn't take the field until the next morning. As it turns out, as chance had it, our cars backed up to the only other GT/CS on the field. Great People from Eugene, OR. A lot of "Spritzing", "Licking", and more Rubbing. We were about as ready as we were ever going to get. The judges showed up and spent about 45 min. to an hour going over the car, and I was a nervous wreck. When he was done, I asked how I did, and he said with a smile, "That's Top Secret".

We enjoyed a wonderful weekend and met a lot of fantastic people, including several other GT/CS owners who we invited to the August BBQ.

When it was all said and done, The results are as follows:
Project Something Special was entered in the Concours Trailered Class and Won the "GOLD" award.
The Orange Blossom Special, or Temporarily nick named the "Red headed step child", as the green car was getting all the attention, was entered in the "Daily Driven Class" and won First Place.
We were stunned. I had to look at the Power Point screen to confirm I heard the announcer right. All our hard work paid off. WOW. Totally worth all the effort.

Jon at Pony Carbs came over and fine tuned Something Special, and BOY does it run great.
Paul, It was nice seeing you again. Just some clarification, The red GT/CS won the first place in the Occasional Driven Class. That is why it had a wrong air cleaner.
We would like to thank everyone here at this site for all of your support during this long road, and I would like to send TWO VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU's to Tim O'Brien (Midnight Special) for his much needed help, Time, and Even Trading Parts from some of his own cars to make this one "PERFECT"!!!!!
and to Paul Newitt, for all his support, Encouragement, and MUCH needed Historical Data, not to mention your help over this stress filled weekend.
Mike and Robinette.

CalGal68

Way to go Mike and Robinette! It was so nice to meet you both and after seeing both your cars, you deserved to win big time! Knew you'd get the gold!

As a side bonus for us, we now have renewed energy to continue the restoration on our car. See you in August!

~ Debra

di81977

Mike and Robinette,

Very impressive results, congratulations!

David

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Way to go Mike and Robinette! It was so nice to meet you both and after seeing both your cars, you deserved to win big time! Knew you'd get the gold!

As a side bonus for us, we now have renewed energy to continue the restoration on our car. See you in August!

~ Debra

WHOA 'dere Cal Gal!

Hey, it was nice to meet you and your husband there, too! I really enjoyed talking to you both! It's meeting great folks like you that make this even more worthwhile. I think for a while the GT/CS spot in the show was an "official" meeting place for CS enthusiasts! It was so crowded!! We should set up a table and sold drinks and stuff! LOL!!

Paul N.
p.s. and get that CS of yours done, OK? Just ask me if you need any help.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Here is a photo of the sign that Mike and Robinette made for "Something Special".

I believe it is an aluminum sign, with graphics applied. The easel looks like one you can get at a local Office Supply store.

The concrete "hold it down in the wind" block is optional...LOL!

Paul N.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 53

miller511

Mike and Robinette,

Congrats!!! And it was nice to chat with you guys and Paul N.

Wow!!! I was able to see the completed project of Mike and Robinette's on Saturday in Concord. It really turned out nice. The difference from the bare shell that was there at the BBQ last August and now is impressive. You guys do great work!!! The pictures are good. But you've got to see it in person.

-Jeff

6t8-390gt

I am glad to hear the show was a success, and congratulations to Mike and Robinette for "Something Special". It's a great feeling to get your first GOLD.

Danny

BroadwayBlue

Way to go!! Congrats to all!!!

I love the color of the "step child" and the 390 looks fantastic as well. Keep up the hard work it's paying off!

Love the sign too! I like the script added on like that.

CJ

Way too go Mike and Robinette. Your hard work and dedication to perfection paid off.