• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headers or no headers

PB gtcs

Folks, we are about to get our 289 bored 30 over back. will have flat top pistions, regular heads, one notch up on the cam. Nothing fancy, just a little more punch.

What s the vote, Headers or no headers. Some say headers makes engine compartment and thus the inside of the car too hot. Not enough hp gain to fiddle with. Instead they say put on the H-pipe. Have the original manifolds and have long tube headers. what say ye??

Brian

carvensno

i say headers, nothings like the sound of HP, not to mention that a carb and set of headers usally wakes up these motors pretty good on there own.

so i say let me here your motor running!!!!! ;D

68gt390

I say "HEADERS" all the way. If your still running the stock exhaust pipe switch to 2.5 with a set of headers and trust me you'll get a definite HP increase. Both my GT 390 Coupe and GT/CS 390 have Hooker Super Comp Ceramic coated headers and 2.5 pipe. The sound is ausome. Granted, both my cars are big blocks but, even on a small block you'll feel and hear the difference. Open her up and let her breath. Your small block doesn't put out the amount of heat a big block does so I say go for it.

Don 8)

Talan423

when i bought my gt/cs 4 yrs. ago it had long tube headers. i admit that i did like the sound but i soon found out the the headers and power steering didn't mix with my 289. i tried everything from buying the lowering bracket for the p/s linkage to wrapping the hoses in heat shield. i ended up having to route my p/s hoses as if a big block, which included a different mouting bracket and more new hoses. there was a bit more hp (w/headers), but with it came the heat. i ended up just going back to stock manifolds with an h-pipe and flowmaster 40 series (delta flow). still has the rumble without the heat inside.
go with your own preference, this is just a bit of my own experience with headers. maybe other guys have had no problems at all. good luck.

-=MUSTANG=-

Put some repop 289 hi-po manifolds on there, they sound amazing, will work with all the accessories, won't create excess heat, and will not choke your motor like a stock 'log' type manifold. ( if you can't tell, these are the manifolds my GT/CS is getting ).

Always use an H-pipe. They are absolutely necessary for getting the maximum hp out of your engine.

But if I really had to chose between the stock manifolds (that I couldn't tweak) and headers I already owned, I would have to put the headers on there. They sound better, make more hp, and if you ever sell the car it isn't really an expensive change should the new owner want to go back to stock.

Jayscal

The 289 Hi-po exhaust manifolds are the way to go. I have been running them for 20 years on my car. I have 2-1/4 pipes (good for small blocks) all the way out to the rear valance. With my turbo mufflers it has an awesome sound, without that tinny noise you get from headers. They never leak, or rot out, and look stock to boot. Have them profesionally coated and they will look great for your lifetime. I do recommend using the big block power steering set-up so that there are no problems with the hoses rubbing.

And do use a H pipe, to keep the exhaust pressures equal.

carvensno

could goto a hydrualic shop and have a custom hose made, thats what my friend did so he didnt have the heat problem, acourse i learned of this little idea after i had sold my CS for which i was having the same problem have to replace my preasure line every couple of yrs. do to heat.

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

Thanks folks for all of the feed back. So, need the H-pipe if using he headers?

-=MUSTANG=-

You need an H-pipe for all dual exhaust systems. Trust us on this one, sound, performance, mileage, will all be negatively affected by not putting one on there. Good luck with the install.

GT/CS's Rule..........

GTCS95616

I vote for the headers and an H pipe. I have a 289 with an automatic trans. and I am trying to decide exact which type of headers to install. Currently, I am favoring a set of tri-y headers just because they are "different" and somewhat nostalgic lokking.