• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Water pump pulley

nfrntau

I am installing a A/C system in my car. This requires changing the two groove crank pulley to a three groove pulley. The three groove pulley is approximately 1/2" larger diameter than the two groove crank pulley. This makes the water pump pulley to large, hitting the new crank shaft pulley. I checked with Mustangs Unlimited and found that they made a different pulley for A/C equipped cars (3 groove crank pulley). They had no dimensions for this pulley.

The pulley I have is from a non-A/C equipped car has two grooves and is 6 1/2" outside diameter.
I am assuming the A/C equipped cars had an outside diameter of 5 7/8"or less.
Do any of you have a spare water pump pulley for an AC equipped car?

Thanks
Bill

Mosesatm

Bill, NPD also shows only 1 pulley, but they do have a 2-groove aluminum unit that is 5 3/4". It's fairly expensive, though.

Attachments

• Water Pump Pulley.pdf
    375.7 KB · Views: 40

robert campbell

No joy in my close collection. I have a C8 lower pulley with 3 grooves. The forward one is smaller diameter and is a 3 bolt pulley. I have another area I will look in tomorrow.

I have friend in my area that has lots of used Mustang stuff. His name is Louis Sellars. Phone number is (360) 598-2279. He has an "S" code 4 speed GT/CS. Rotisserie restores Mustangs and is very reasonable about prices. Give him a call about noon any day. He works swing shift so is not home in the evenings. Great guy!! Bet he has your correct Ford pulley!

Rob

green56

i pulled the after market A/C out of my car i will look and see what size it is if you want to wait till i get back

@Holmes

Ok - you have an auto so its IMCO emissions. The book shows that a 289 w/AC has a 2 sheaves water pump pulley with a 5 7/8' O.D. The correct marking is C6AE8509-A. This is a very common part. I have a C7OE-8509-B, 3 sheaves, but it has a diameter of 6 ½" and were used on the GT & HP 302 models w/T.E. These cars had the 2 sheave alternator pulleys The smallest 3 sheave is a C6OE-8509-A that was made for the 390/427 with an O.D. of 6.' All of my info is from a 68 catalog. There may be other sizes from other years. I believe your car equipped with an AC had one belt for the AC and one for the Alternator.. Paul might have a diagram for you to clear this up. The one I have is 6 ½.” Anyway let me know.
Holmes

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

"The book shows that a 289 w/AC has a 2 sheaves water pump pulley with a 5 7/8' O.D. The correct marking is C6AE8509-A".
Thanks for the info, this is definitely the one I need. The one I currently have is 6 1/2" diameter which is too big.

Green, I don't mind waiting
Rob, I'll call Louis on Monday. My crank pulley is the same as the one you mentioned, two large and one smaller ring.
Arlie, I saw that too and also thought it was pricey, as a last resort maybe.

Thanks everybody
Cheers

green56

the one i have is comming off the water pump single 61/2".Then i have the two small tension pullys.The water pump pully sits about 3to4 inchs from the pump towards the radiator.The pully is on page138of mustang unlimited

Last edited:

franklinair

I have a 302 with A/C: 5 7/8" diameter for the water pump pulley.
I have a 302 no A/C: 6 1/2" diameter for the water pump pulley.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Russ

AC Crank Pulley

Bill, If you need an A/C pulley for the crank, I have two, one is NOS and the other is used. Email me at 1stnow@msn.com if you are interested, Russ

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Russ, Thanks for the offer, it was the water pump pulley I needed.
I just won the bid on one on E-bay. $17.40 to the door, not too bad.
Thanks all for looking for me.

Cheers
Bill