• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Potential GT/CS Purchase

Mosesatm

Anyone want to give me a hand deciding what I should pay for this one if I decide to purchase it?

Strong 289 4V (not original)
Gulfstream Aqua with white stripes
Aqua Standard Interior
2.79 rear
Automatic rebuilt 12 years ago
Had front end accident a few years ago. Hood pins not placed in correct places. One pin is 1" farther back than the other.
'67 Grille
Lucas lights on Shelby posts
Passenger scoop attached goofily with screws
Has Air - on toggle switch right now
Paint over windshield damaged during windshield installation.
Needs paint - what's there is shiny but not uniform
Stripes are totally messed up
Needs complete interior freshening - Needs dash pad, seat covers, carpet, paint all metal, air conditioning vents broken,
One little tiny bubble on front of one door
Underside absolutely solid without a spec of rust
Front suspension replaced 5 years ago when car was in accident.
Narrow tires with wheel covers.

Any ideas?

I'm having trouble posting pictures.

bish

Sounds like about an $8000 car to me. Needs a bunch of work to get it correct. From your description it's going to need a new paint job, hood and some body work. $3000 to $5000 at least for that alone.
But I could be out of touch for a project of this type.
Just my $.02

case12

I agree with Jason and Bish. This is a plain and common GT/CS. You should be able to get a similar car (still needing some work) without all the problems, and bad history, for $10k-ish. But, as many have said - it all depends on what you like and how you like to spend your "hobby" money. I like to spend mine doing the final detail tweaks. Others like to buy a basket case and restore it to glory (like Paul and Brian). Casey

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Right now I'm looking to buy a restored GT/CS but this car really is better than it sounds and it wouldn't take much to get it nice. I can do my own bodywork so that saves a lot of money.

Running an analysis on the cost of a restored car and this car plus parts and labor they work out to be about the same at an asking price of $10,000 for this one. I'm figuring $10,000 purchase price plus around $7,500 for stuff.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet but I'm probably going to pass on the car, just because I don't have the time to put into it right now. If I ever get pictures to attach I'll post some in case anyone else is interested.

One more thing about the car is that it comes with a truckload of used and NOS parts for '65-'69 Mustangs. This woman and her husband used to restore Mustangs and the guy kept every part he ever had!

The car is about an hour south of Fort Worth, TX.

After I pass on it (if I do, I told her I'd contact her Monday at the latest with an answer) I think someone could get the car and all the parts for somewher between $10K and $11K. She told me she'd take $12,000 for everything, and her original asking price was around $18,000.

If anyone is interested in the car let me know and I'll get you in contact with the owner.

I can email pictures to anyone who wants to see them since the attachmenter isn't working.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I didn't open all the boxes but she is looking to get rid of "all that junk". $500 buys every piece and part she has.

Bill might have a better handle on what parts were there.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1763;start=0#msg11244 date=1117985578]
I didn't open all the boxes but she is looking to get rid of "all that junk". $500 buys every piece and part she has.

Bill might have a better handle on what parts were there.
[/quote]

I would be interested in this with a few more details.

nfrntau

She had drawer after drawer of stuff. Switches, trinkets, door handles, emblems, mirrors, and on and on.
She even had a cial emblem. You know the Spe was busted off and lost across the years. lol
There were correct me if I'm wrong Arlie, maybe a dozen or so NOS parts in boxes. Most were 65-66 parts and some of them we were guessing what they were. I don't recollect any NOS 68 boxes. We didn't open all of them, just a couple.
There were two NOS 66 chome bumper extensions and two nos bumper ext trim peices.
I bought a 9.8 out of 10 and a 4 out of 10 GT/CS tail light housing from her while we were there.
So those aren't there any more. ;D

case12

test

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 14

Mustanglvr

The car in the pics is alot like mine was when I bought it for $7800.00 15 months ago, but mine had all new uninstalled interior with it and air original radio. The 289 4V was`nt original but it was a fresh engine and 4 speed transmission. It had new Lemans white letter tires and the stripes and hood locks were on correct. The trunk lid needed a little fiberglass repair and the striping. The overall paint has chips and scratches in it. I think I got a pretty good deal though. Most people drop their jaws when they see it from 10 feet away. The one you`re looking at I would say is an $8000.00 car. Is it an original C code car? I wish mine had the original console. Rhonda