• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Opinion on color change: From Candyapple red to Royal Maroon

classicsguy

I think I am one of the few persons that do not like Red color(Its too common)
My GT/CS is a factory Candyapple red car and since the car needs a repaint I am thinking of changing it to Royal Maroon which is my favorite color for this year Mustangs. The interior is Parchment and I believe that Royal Maroon with parchment interior is a killer combo.
The problem is that I am a purist and would like to keep the car original. I know that if you change the color of a Mustang with one thats available for the same model and year the value its not affected that much. I will not enter the car in Concours competition because here where I live there are none.
I would like to know your opinions of this color change from members of this forum. Thanks for your replies!!!

Mustanglvr

I say, do what you want, it can always be changed back. The only thing is, that when you tell people that you changed it from candy apple red to royal maroon, they might find that a little strange. I love both colors and would`nt mind having a common color CS.

6t8-390gt

Keep it original! With the Marti report being available it's not like you can fool; anyone. When I look at a color change car I subtract the cost of a paint job right off the top. As you know today that can be thousands of dollars. Then again I'm a purist.

P

PNewitt

Of course, I'm "biased". But....my CS is royal maroon, and it is the same color that was used on the Cougar and Lincoln cars at that time; so, it's in the luxury color palatte.

Maroon (I feel) has a deeper look to it, and when waxed, on a fall day, you can see the reflections of the trees, etc., much deeper. With white stripes, the contrast is there, but not as sharp as candy apple red.

As for concours, I tell people that if you go to a show about 1-20 times a year, then the other 345 days, it's all yours. There is the purist perception, and then there's your personal choice. I'd have to check, but having the "wrong" color on a car is about 5 points off; something that you can make up somewhere else in points.

I think that "life is too short" to worry about too much purity in what you own. If it makes you happy, then go for it. I wouldn't worry about "pleasing" some potential buyer. That is giving in to what someone else would want, and you've denied yourself the enjoyment of the way you would like it.

These cars will be around for a long time, and change hands more than once, so "concours correct" may happen later, rather than sooner. At least you're preserving the car, regardless of it's color.

Just my two bits.

Paul N.

p51

Personally I like CandyApple Red and Maroon about the same. Having said that my suggestion is to change it to the color that you like especially if you like Maroon a lot more and intend on keeping the car for a long time. If you keep it long enough then you will *eventually* have another chance to paint it. On the other hand if you've got the idea of selling it soon and its all numbers matching, big block, original equip, etc then stick w/CandyApple. Either way remember this is a ~$20K car (unless its big block). Think of it as repainting a Camry - what would you decision be this case?

gt bandit

i agree with above - can we fine this member for breathing the C word in the same thread as a special !!!!

seize the day - hell seize his posting privilege's !!!

an anonymous Toyota terrorist

disclaimer - haven't got one whoops!!! :}

p51

gt bandit said:
i agree with above - can we fine this member for breathing the C word in the same thread as a special !!!!

seize the day - hell seize his posting privilege's !!!

an anonymous Toyota terrorist

disclaimer - haven't got one whoops!!! :}
I feel so ashamed of myself. :embarass:

I havent the faintest idea what I was thinking... umm... actually I was, uh.... drunk, yeah! that's it!... drunk when I sent that post. Hey, at least I didnt say "Chevy" or "Camaro"...
... doh! :lipsseal:

Re: seize the day - hell seize his posting privilege's !!!
BTW: Always thought it meant "Fish of the Day". :grin:

Mustanger

If you decide to keep the car, then make it how you like it ... if keeping it the original color is okay for you, then cool, keep it, if not, then do what makes you happy (at least try and paint it a color that was an available 1968 Ford GTCS Mustang color) ...

... 'just one car guy's $.02 ...

rvrtrash

p51 said:
I feel so ashamed of myself. :embarass:

I havent the faintest idea what I was thinking.:

We'll let it slide this time but we're keeping an eye on you now.:grin:

Steve

Hey I just realized I'm over 1,000. That used to be "guru" status
a long time ago.

Perkchiro

As one who has violated the "purists code of conduct", let me say thanks to Paul for his words. As some have discussed here in the past, color changes are taboo with many. You know, my wife changes her hair style and color from time to time and guess what, I like the variety and I love her just the same. A GT/CS is still a GT/CS, even if the color's been changed. Do as you please and make yourself happy. I'm pleased with my color change and I love it.

Steve in Missouri

DAR1

As an added irony, The car I used for my Little Red tribute was maroon with a black vinyl top. The suspension had already been modified and it sat just like so on it's wheels. It had a blank grill like a CS with no fog lights. It really looked pretty good IMO. Of course now it is bright candyapple red. If your car is not rare(all CS's are somewhat rare) and you like maroon better - why not. Just break out the check book for a quality job. You will be disappointed with anything less.
//Dan

P

PNewitt

Thanks, Steve for your comments.

My position is to provide information, support and enthusiasm for owners. Yes, I do have my opinions, but it's all part of the process to talk about things like this...

Anyway, as traditional as original color is, there is a harsh reality that this car is not in the same ranking, as say, an Aston Martin, Ferrari, or even a Cobra. All cars that if painted another color, would be unthinkable (however, you'll always see some type of Mustang at a "Concours de Elegance". Always).

What is neat about owning a GT/CS, is that, as originally advertised, it was meant "to be designed by you". Since the values (as of now) aren't in the Shelby stratosphere, you can have your cake and eat it too. You have a sorta-Shelby coupe that you can customize, by changing the color, and adding performance parts, etc. It's ALREADY a custom Mustang, so go for it.

On the other hand, I'll also have to aknowledge, and encourage the mindset of total concours originality. There are two camps on this...but it will always boil down to what you want to do with your GT/CS.

I'm with you, no matter what you choose.

Paul.

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
I'd have to check, but having the "wrong" color on a car is about 5 points off; something that you can make up somewhere else in points.

Being the "Concours Police" here thought I should let everyone know its more like 25 points. Generally cars don't win in concours/restored class with a color change. Instead they are moved to Modified Class.

In any case its your car do what you want.... just never fool yourself that it is anything other than what it is. Make your choices and take pride in them.

Know a shop that just took a rust free 67 GT 390 convertible the other day and is cutting it up to make a radical modified car out of it. Know another guy that choped the top of his Shelby. Their choice.. but honestly it hurts to watch. :(

Jeff S

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

J_Speegle said:
Know a shop that just took a rust free 67 GT 390 convertible the other day and is cutting it up to make a radical modified car out of it. Know another guy that chopped the top of his Shelby. Their choice.. but honestly it hurts to watch. :(

Jeff S

It hurt just to read that Jeff.
It`s hard to believe owners would make such drastic changes to such desirable original cars.