• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 390 ci muffler

Edward Bodoh

Can anybody recommend dual mufflers that would sound good on a x code? I'm looking for that classic deep rumble. Not too loud but not timid either.

Ed.

BigJim

Asking which mufflers sound best is like asking which oil to use on a motorcycle forum. The best thing for you to do is go to a couple of car shows or cruises and listen to different cars. When you hear one that sounds like what you are looking for strike up a conversation with owner about his exhaust system.

OP
OP
E

Edward Bodoh

Some might remember the X code Meadowlark Yellow that was for sale last November. There is a recent 4 page thread in the classifieds. I flew out, inspected and ultimately bought the car. It arrived in December and is stashed in the garage. The car is in excellent shape in my opinion. It needs only a couple small things done, louder mufflers being the most expensive. That's how nice it is.

2 bbl. Deluxe interior upper lower console. Originally a Canada Car, Marty in hand.

Yea I youtubed videos of other 390s with flows and have an idea what I want. Was just looking for extra input. Your right Jim...btw...

I can post up pics next go around...thanks yall.

clubpro

In my opinion Magnaflow is the best all around muffler. I've had Magnaflow on pretty much every car that I have owned old and newer and I've never been disappointed. I look forward to seeing your X code.

Cheers,

Ron

GreenSpark

I have a 390 with headers, stainless steel all the way back, and Magnaflos at the end. Has the perfect sound for me (i.e. throaty, but not like my Harley). I'll post a video if I can find it...

robert campbell

I am on the Flowmaster frequent buyer plan. 2 chamber 40's for loud and 3 chamber 50's for more civilized throaty sound. I assume you have the correct valance for dual exhaust with GT tips? You will need a complete exhaust system from the h pipe back on this car. Flow master offers a 2.5 system for this car that eliminates the transvers muffler and has 2.5 pipes over the axel to the rear. If you go this way then the GT style tips are only 2.25 from what I have seen. If you do not have the GT exhaust valance then you are good to go to dump them at the valance at a 45 degree cut off. This type of dump does raise a bit of a dust cloud in dry weather.

Rob