• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power Steering Pump Teal color Paint Source

x-codegtcs

OK - the pump that Arlie so generously sent me has a tag for the "F" (Ford) pump and therefore should be metallic teal. I have picked up a rebuilt pump at the local Napa Auto. Three questions for our resident experts:

1) Were teal/Ford pumps used at San Jose? If so...
2) anyone know a ready source for the teal color in a spray can?

I have found a PPG Delstar Chesapeake Blue DAR-12366 reference, but looking for something simpler for this small of a part.

3) Pulley - is there a way to know if I have the correct pulley for a 68 302 PS/AC car - or is there just one single shive pulley for all 302's?

Thanks again to everyone!!! I really don't know how I would do this without all of your generosity, expertise, and encouragement!!!

franklinair

NPD Lists metallic teal aerosol for PS pumps, P/N AP-PSPE. $12.95

Neil

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

WHAT?!?! I HATE their site! It doesn't return a damn thing correctly when it is searched. I even scrolled through the ENTIRE paint section!

Neil - thanks for finding what I couldn't! Have you used this before? I just looked it up and it is listed as "dark blue metallic".

Can anyone else answer q1 and q3 for me?

Ruppstang

OK - the pump that Arlie so generously sent me has a tag for the "F" (Ford) pump and therefore should be metallic teal. I have picked up a rebuilt pump at the local Napa Auto. Three questions for our resident experts:

1) Were teal/Ford pumps used at San Jose? If so...
2) anyone know a ready source for the teal color in a spray can?

I have found a PPG Delstar Chesapeake Blue DAR-12366 reference, but looking for something simpler for this small of a part.

3) Pulley - is there a way to know if I have the correct pulley for a 68 302 PS/AC car - or is there just one single shive pulley for all 302's?

Thanks again to everyone!!! I really don't know how I would do this without all of your generosity, expertise, and encouragement!!!

The teal pumps were used at San Jose.

NPD has a teal color but is incorrect if it matters to you. custom mix is only correct option.

There were several different pulleys yours should be a 7AD.

Marty

franklinair

I seldom use NPD's website. I use their hardcopy catalog.
Haven't used their PS paint, and I'd take Marty's advice on color.
IF (a big IF) anyone knows of some production teal color that is correct (or close) there is an outfit that will produce it in aerosols @ reasonable cost. ($12-$15)
Just need the make, color, year. I've used their product in Mustang body colors for touch up, and they're pretty good.

Neil

dalorzo_f

The NPD site isn't great but is not that bad if you use the filters, display and search options well.

Filter the search by model and year, set it to 3 rows and you can usually find things pretty fast (but I do use the paper one I have a lot).

For Ford parts as they use the correct part numbers you can just search on that if you know it... which would not help in this case.

A search on "teal +paint +pump" brought it up right away. 3rd item in list. Using Booleans can help a lot to filter results.

They have a newer color that is supposed to be matched to OEM parts, so I'd double check, their other paints I have used listed as "correct" have not disappointed.

As they stock about 100,000+ parts for numerous makes and models their site is about 10x more complicated than most Mustang-only vendors...

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Thanks for the "+" tip in their search engine. Regardless their engine is weak and their phone salesmen also hate it. When I ask about a part, I can hear them flipping pages to find it.

Thanks for the note on the new paint formula. I will check on it. My experience has been hit and miss with their formulated paints, but they won't take them back so I am always cautious - especially when it is called dark blue and not teal. Their paints do work great for nice looking pinewood derby cars though!

dalorzo_f

Well, all I can say is I have compared a number against OEM parts and can't fault them... but have not tried every one...

Not great site, it works for me most of the time. I'll take that over the crap service and backorders noted on most other forums from most other vendors.

somethingspecial

I had good luck with Rainbow Industries paint for Mustang Colors. I used their #48 Lacquer for the PS pump and I found it really close if not spot on. Now everyones eyes see colors differently, so others may disagree with me. Marty has seen and judged my car several times, maybe he can confirm the color I used as right or wrong. Rainbow Industries 909-882-6677. Hope this helps

Attachments

• something special photo shoot QM 024.jpg
    something special photo shoot QM 024.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 63

dalorzo_f

Got in touch with the CEO of NPD... he's going to do a test spray of their color and compare it to the original/survivor cars they have. Will post his results once he gets them to me...

(their collection of cars and trucks (over 100 vehicles, I was so stunned I didn't count them, two huge rooms full of them) is amazing... many extremely low mileage originals... like a 66 coupe with only a few k's on it and a '66 GTO with only a few hundred miles...)

Dozens of cars literally as close as they left the factory as you will find. Bought many from dealers who stashed cars back-in-the day and eventually sold.

Ruppstang

I had good luck with Rainbow Industries paint for Mustang Colors. I used their #48 Lacquer for the PS pump and I found it really close if not spot on. Now everyones eyes see colors differently, so others may disagree with me. Marty has seen and judged my car several times, maybe he can confirm the color I used as right or wrong. Rainbow Industries 909-882-6677. Hope this helps

Mike your is pretty close. One thing I was going to tell you is that you need to paint your dip stick. There should not be paint on the top 1/2 inch of the tube because it was all painted as a assembly. I real like the two NOS examples that Jeff Speegle posted in the thread above.

The only color of NPD interior paint that is even close that I have used is the Charcoal Black. I usually have a custom mix made to match if it matters.
Marty

dalorzo_f

Odd... I just did some interior Ivy Gold '68 parts and the color was a match to the OEM parts I had. Some very slight difference, but one would expect that comparing new paint against 43 year old!

As I have only 68's and mostly black interiors the CGM has been the mainstay and I've been very happy with the results.

As NPD compares against known low mileage cars that are documented survivors I'd be happy to raise it with their management as I am sure they would like to know what colors they sell as correct are so far off... do you have examples and pics?

For most the difficulty of finding a color to match to is an issue, I would have a very hard time finding a known correct part here in a lot of cases, and buying an over the counter can is far easier then custom matching for one can of paint... but it works if you have access and the time.

Forsche

Mike your is pretty close. One thing I was going to tell you is that you need to paint your dip stick. There should not be paint on the top 1/2 inch of the tube because it was all painted as a assembly. I real like the two NOS examples that Jeff Speegle posted in the thread above.

The only color of NPD interior paint that is even close that I have used is the Charcoal Black. I usually have a custom mix made to match if it matters.
Marty

Just curious but you mention the painting of the dipstick. Were they painted the teak color like the pump? Sara's CS has what looks to be the original pump painted a teal color but the dipstick top itself is painted an off-white/creme color. It is peeling off but much of it still has the creme color. As I recall the oil dipstick also is painted this color.

Ruppstang

Just curious but you mention the painting of the dipstick. Were they painted the teak color like the pump? Sara's CS has what looks to be the original pump painted a teal color but the dipstick top itself is painted an off-white/creme color. It is peeling off but much of it still has the creme color. As I recall the oil dipstick also is painted this color.

I imagine that must be one of the PO modifications. A lot of people think the dip stick was not painted because often most of the paint peeled off due to the slick plating.

Rick@NPD

Hi Guys, I got a tip that our pump paint was being discussed, so hopefully I can contribute a bit... In no particular order of importance:

* Ford didn't call it "teal", some hobbyists call it "teal". Whether it's teal or dark blue is a coin-flip.

* The photo that Jeff put online (on the other thread that was linked/suggested earlier by mosesatm) is totally unrepresentative of our color, due to likely lighting/camera issues. Our paint closely resembles the photo of his NOS pump he posted, and looks NOTHING like the NPD-sprayed photo.

* The photo on the other link posted by the OP of that link is most certainly wrong, off, and way too light.

* I had a fresh can of our AP-PSPE sprayed onto a hacked-up thinner can, and compared/photographed it against a 4,900 original-mile '70 Mach 1 I bought from Bob Perkins (he may have refinished the pump, it looks a little "too" good), and then I compared/photographed it against an indisputable pump housing, the one in my 1968 Torino GT purchased from Bob Mercer years ago (Mercer Ford, Hickman Nebraska). This car has 8 original miles on it, untouched, as in even the wipers have never been installed...

My objective-as-possible opinion is that we have the shade/color of blue/teal nailed-down as close as can reasonably be expected. Not to mention that it might by unreasonable to think that the paint's shade didn't vary slightly batch-to-batch back when Ford was using it. My only criticism is that our metallic-flake is more prominent than original. But given what's available to custom-mix/pack for spray cans, I don't think we have any better options.

Bottom-line, it's darned close, and certainly the right shade. These shots are tricky, because the pump is round and my can was flat and the flash will play ungodly tricks. I did one shot without a flash just for that reason. But if you can read between the lines and the shadows and the hotspots, hopefully you concur..

P.S. - Our salespeople don't use the paper catalogs because they "hate" our website. They don't (all) have access to our website at their desks. ALL SEARCH ENGINES, even my competitor's (I know, I've spent plenty of time on everyone's sites) are flawed in some manner or another, such that a fraction of potentially applicable parts do not show up in a given search result. You have no idea, when on a site, how much stuff you are not seeing when you do a search. Just like when you Google, you're just getting a glimpse of what's actually out there. Catalogs are comprehensive and idiot-proof. So they remain our primary source for proper service.

Hope I can upload these photos properly!! Thanks!!

Rick

Attachments

• 68torinopump-1.jpg
    68torinopump-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 68torinopump-2.jpg
    68torinopump-2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 70machpump-1.jpg
    70machpump-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 49

franklinair

Thanks for your input. I have read your many inputs on other websites and I salute your support & dedication to the Mustang hobby.

Neil Hoppe