• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Newbie needing advice on buying a CS

CSFan

Hi all. Just started checking this site out recently and I'm finding myself spending hours reading, admiring, and learning about this special 68 mustang.
Now to my question. I've come across a CS for sale. I'll be checking it out this weekend but other than getting the VIN, warranty plate number, and ordering a Marti Report (although I just got the VIN today so I would have to wait a week) , what kind of things can I start checking with vehicle on site for authenticity? Thanks!

MC

bbeatty

Well it sounds like you’re going about it right. Reading this forum is the best source of information and knowledge there is for the California Specials. You can call Kevin Marti and get a report faxed in a few hours. It costs a little more, but then you’ll know if you’re dealing with an original GT/CS before you even see the car. If it is a genuine GT/CS and you decide to look at the car in person, be more concerned about the condition of the car itself than the fact it’s a GT/CS. Sure you’ll want to check if most of the GT/CS parts are there, but be sure to check out the cowls, floorboards and frame rails for rust. How’s the paint? Do the panels line up correctly? Does the car start and run well? How are the brakes? Etc. Fixing some of this stuff if it’s not right is where you’ll really spend some big bucks.

Take a knowledgeable Mustang person with you’re if you’re not. Maybe even take the car to a restoration shop for their opinion. Where is the car located? Perhaps someone on this forum could help you evaluate the car. I’ve never meet another Mustang fan who doesn’t like to go look at cars. :)

Most of all be patient. There are still plenty of these cars around so be sure you’re buying exactly want you want in the condition you want. If you’ve always dreamed of a Royal Maroon big block car don’t buy a 6 cylinder Seafoam Green car just because it’s the first one you found. Finally, remember it’s almost always cheaper in the long run to buy a restored car than it is to restore one. On the other hand, it’s always much more fun to bring one of these rare cars back from the dead than it is buy one that is already a show winner.
;D ;D ;D
Good Luck!

PB gtcs

MC, From a guy who is bringing one back from the dead, take it from me, buying a restored car WILL cost less than doing it yourself. However, my brother Paul and I with young 10 year old Zach are within a month (hope) of having our car done. It has been a big labor, but one of love. We hope that when brother Paul and I are 80 and drooling out of the sides of our mouths, young Zach will say, "I remember when". That is the value of doing it ones self. Wish you good luck, Brian B has given you good advise. Have fun. If you want to see our project, it is in the gallery, Paul and Brian Stevenson. That will show you what not to buy if you dont want to work on a car.

Brian

OP
OP
C

CSFan

Thanks for the words of wisdom Brian and Brian ;D.
I didn't realize that I could request a fax of the Marti report. That will give me a little peace of mind when I go check it out this weekend. Fortunately I do have a knowledgable buddy that collects classics (one being a mustang) and your right, he is just as excited to go check it out. The only thing I'm a little concerned with is a fair price. I bought a magazine on collector car values and checked a few sites but the prices vary drastically (between $5k-$12k for this spec CS). I guess it all boils down to what an individual is willing to pay.
Holy smokes Brian! That is an incredible project. I have to agree with both of you on buying an already restored car. I have a 64 modified V6 Sunbeam Alpine that I purchased restored. Although I've tinkered with minor things that have come up, my patience and money would run pretty thin once those sunny days started coming up. Thanks again for the advice.

MC

bbeatty

[quote author=CSFan link=board=1;threadid=1249;start=0#msg7009 date=1102609495]
when I go check it out this weekend.

[/quote]

Peeektures! ;DWe want to see some pictures of this car next week! :D ;D :D

-=MUSTANG=-

The entire restoration of my GT/CS will be less than $14,000 and that is including the original cost of the car ($4,500). I am not including the cost of my labor in that number, but even so, I'm still under what I could sell the car for.

The pride I will get from doing the work myself and knowing that I did a quality job are two factors that are almost priceless.

If you are the type of person who is organized, mechanically inclined, and have the space and money I can think of no better way to get to know your Mustang and earn a wealth of knowledge and pride in the process.

Just my $0.02

PB gtcs

Well said there Mustang!! I have done 4 cars now, a 74 Beetle with my Daughter (one full year), a 68 Firebird vert with my son (7 months), an AC Cobra replica (son and Brother) and now this GT/CS in joint account with my Brother Paul and his son Zach. You are correct, for the relationships, Priceless!!

Brian

-=MUSTANG=-

Brian,

That is true, I have already shown my son Tyler how to put together a kit mini-bike and he is looking forward to helping on the GT/CS. He still doesn't get why these things take so long but that is part of the learning process ( he is 9 ). I am recently married but have been part of Tylers life since he was 3, I am looking forward to spending these next months (years?) working on the car and teaching him how to do some more car stuff. We have a 2000 GT convertible and he is really into the newer mustangs right now, when the California Special is done and we start cruising it around he'll see why I like the classics.

Jay

68gt390

Jay, you are to be commended. Some may know it but, the classics are being over taken by the newer stangs. I have nothing against them, I just sold my 91 LX 5.0. To preserve a classic is truly a work of art. I have restored two 68 Stangs (68 GT Coupe, and my GT/CS). My girlfriends son (13) is just starting to get into the car craze. Trust me I will do all I can to fuel that fire. He's already asking what he gets to drive when he's 16. The pride you get when your at a show and they ask did you do the work is unreplaceable. You may not have done it all but, what you have done gives you a feeling I don't think can be topped.

Don ;D

-=MUSTANG=-

Thanks Don,

It is fun watching the younger ones learn about this stuff. After the GT/CS is done we will probably sell the convertible. There is a 1965 coupe ready to get it's resto-mod makeover, I've had this car for 17 years so it will be nice when it is done. Losing the payment on the newer car frees up some cash for that project, plus with the 68 to drive I'll be good. ( not having a cool car to drive doesn't sit to well with me )

I think one of the reasons of the popularity of the newer mustangs is cost and practicality. You can get a real nice 80's or 90's mustang for an affordable price, put some pretty effective aftermarket parts on it and still drive it on an almost daily basis. I don't worry too much when we get caught in the rain in our 00' mustang, but the 68' will stay in the garage if rain is in the forecast.

Jay

OP
OP
C

CSFan

Well guys, I checked out the car and it seems like a fairly nice ride. Granted, I've never seen a CS so this was a treat. It's a bare bones, straight 6 with a 3 speed manual. Under 100k original miles, has a decent blue repaint, new interior and straight body. Car started but it's been sitting for a year. Was tempted to make an offer but there were a few documentation issues that were deal breakers. We'll see.

MC

PFSlim

CS Fan - Did you check to see if the car was in the Paul N. registry? Need a VIN number.

Did you get any pics of her to share with us?

Paul

OP
OP
C

CSFan

Hi Paul,

Actually, the first thing I did before starting this thread was check the registry link but never saw an option to check via VINs. I did get a Marti and everything seems to vibe right. Can users check the CS registry list?
The pics are too large. I'll resize one down and put it up when I get home.

MC

OP
OP
C

CSFan

Thanks for the registry info Paul.
Here is a pic of the car.

Attachments

• GTCS_small.jpg
    GTCS_small.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 17

PFSlim

Looks like a nice one. Kindof familar color like I have seen it somewhere before. ???

Ours is pictured below.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00759.JPG
    DSC00759.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 16

-=MUSTANG=-

That car looks real nice. I wouldn't be to concerned about it not being a real CT/CS, there is more money to made in faking Shelby's that our GT/CS's. If the price is fair and the car is solid I would start throwing numbers around to see if anything sticks. Good luck.