• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 68 CS... Salvaged title... Worth resotration?

Cowcall

CS experts... My father in law is the original owner of a 68 CS. Currently has a salvaged title due to an accident but he did have it fixed up to standard of the day and does have a CA plate. The car has sat in the driveway the past 10 years, not driven.

My question to you as experts... Is a CS with a salvaged title worth a full restoration? More concerned about sentimental value than $$, but I want to know of a restoration is nuts, given the salvaged title.

Thanks to all. Also, we are in the Valley of LA, so any recommendations of a local classic LA are mustang resto shop, would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

x-codegtcs

For sentimental value it definitely has value. If a shop is doing it for you plan on $30-40k depending on what has to be done. If the sheet metal is good, I would recommend doing it yourself. It will give it more sentimental value and something to be proud of. My 2 cents.

dalorzo_f

Never understood why a salvage title is such a big deal to some. So it got damaged and repaired.. look at all the rust buckets, "non-salvaged", that are taken back to a firewall and a rear frame rail and "restored"... All it means is the insurance company figured it was not worth the coverage to fix, and wrote it off. If that was done in 1993 the "value" of the car may have been $2500 as a "write off" to the insurance company.

If the original VINs are there and you can prove its a real GT/CS why is it any different to some of the other bare shell, or worse, restos...???

Why is this type of resto, common, and applauded.. when a "salvage" title, for possibly (probably) far less replacement is seen as a red flag?

50.jpg

Once its done if you show the workmanship and quality is there, it is no different than any other. Go for it..

OP
OP
C

Cowcall

Thanks for the great feedback. You are right... The insurance company just deemed the repairs to be more than the value at time of accident.

If i get a chance, i will upload some pics of how it currently sits. I don't think rust is a big issue for this car. It's pretty dry here and it has at least sat in cement vs. dirt/ grass.

I will search the sections on the site to see if anyone recommends anyone for resto in LA. Would love to do some of this project together... But my skills are basic at best so a pro will definitely be needed. I would really like do do this car right.

x-codegtcs

Richard has a great point, I just think that there is a stigma associated with that kind of title. I kind of have that same problem with my GT/CS in that it was put on a Bronco frame and had a special state issued VIN for 20 years of its life. It is part of the history. But really, there are a lot of old cars brought back from the grave.

As Jay Leno stated - "If you are making money at restoring cars, you aren't doing it right." Someone else here has the tag line that goes something like this - "much more than a hobby".

I would still encourage you to do what you can. I farm out body work, transmission and engine machining and then do the rest. There are lots of helpful guys on here that can help with most aspects of your project.

Whatever you decide - keep us all posted. I would love to follow your resto.

x-codegtcs

Richard has a great point, I just think that there is a stigma associated with that kind of title. I kind of have that same problem with my GT/CS in that it was put on a Bronco frame and had a special state issued VIN for 20 years of its life. It is part of the history. But really, there are a lot of old cars brought back from the grave.

As Jay Leno stated - "If you are making money at restoring cars, you aren't doing it right." Someone else here has the tag line that goes something like this - "much more than a hobby".

I would still encourage you to do what you can. I farm out body work, transmission and engine machining and then do the rest. There are lots of helpful guys on here that can help with most aspects of your project.

Whatever you decide - keep us all posted. I would love to follow your resto.

BigJim

If you live in or sell the car to someone in a no title state the salvage title won't mean anything.

rvrtrash

Salvage brings to mind a crumpled up ball of metal that's beyond repair to most people. That's the stigma. To me it's just something to look more closely at when buying. Even if the repair was well done, you could still have stressed spot welds, etc.

Steve

(and in the past, my tag line was "More than a hobby, It's an obsession", but I wanted to freshen it up)

Last edited:

CougarCJ

Check with your insurance company regarding coverage on 'salvaged cars'.

Many years ago when I worked for Farmers, we had to tell the insured customers that if they opted to buy back their salvaged car, they would only offer liability insurance to them for that vehicle. Farmers had a policy of only paying out a total loss claim once per car. Back in the 1980's certain model cars would get stolen and stripped over and over again. They got burned too many times, by the same car owners, on their 'loss'.

dalorzo_f

Nothing personal, but I'd say to avoid the "normal" insurance companies like Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and stick to a classic car, agreed value policy.

Most won't care about the title, as it makes no sense now to spend the coin to restore a collectable car and then try to make money scamming them on GT/CS parts. Have you seen the condition of some Shelby's and Boss 429's people "restore". Maybe 5% of the original car there once done... easily insured.

Different story for newer cars where there are thousands and thousands of them and there is high demand for repair parts like airbags, etc. on the black market parts scene.

OP
OP
C

Cowcall

I added some photos of what my father in law's cs looks like right now... In photo gallery section called... 1968 CS... Sitting in the driveway. I know not the best shots of body, underneath, etc... Just snapped a few.

Thanks to all...

x-codegtcs

I checked out your photos. Very restorable and looks really complete. Fog lights are the only parts MIA that I can see based on the photos. A new auto trans console top can be found easily. I say go for it!