• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Car Alarms

nfrntau

I have been considering installing a car alarm on my GT/CS. Hooking the open door sensors to the door light switches and maybe a start interrupt, something simple to keep the stupid thieves at bay.
Just curious how many if any of you have alarms on your classic cars.

robert campbell

No alarm. Most people will tell that "the club" is one of the best deterrents for thieves. That with a hood lock makes your car no fun to take! A thief using a hacksaw in the interior of a car to remove a club attracts a lot of attention.

I bet Neil or Steve can walk you through a “hidden” kill switch to the ignition. If they defeat the club and can get the hood open, you have a switch hidden that disables the power to the coil. Their only choice then is to run a wire from the battery to the coil.

They will walk over to that other classic with the keys in the ignition……..

case12

Hi, I have a Viper alarm system with added electric door locks. It is very loud and effective. Someone tried to break into my CS to steal the stereo and they busted the vent window (glass shattered everywhere), but the Viper alarm motion triggered and they ran. So, I didnt loose the car or stereo and it only cost me a little (after insurance) for a vent window. I like it. Casey

Last edited:

franklinair

I've used 2 types in the past.

1.) My own design - it's triggered off of the interior light switch on the doors, thru a holding relay, to the horns. The down side is the horns continue to blow until you reset the external arming switch. Left on long enough, it would kill the car's battery - but might just save the car. (I guess I COULD add a flasher unit to cause them to beep instead.)
2.) A simple device that prevents the hood latch from releasing.

I used to live in a city where this was necessary (Miami), but not so now. Besides, both my Mustangs are now stored in an airplane hangar @ my airport. When I drive them locally here in small town, USA there's not much of a threat.

Neil

J_Speegle

No alarm. Most people will tell that "the club" is one of the best deterrents for thieves. That with a hood lock makes your car no fun to take! A thief using a hacksaw in the interior of a car to remove a club attracts a lot of attention.

Unfortunately it takes about 3 seconds to cut with a small set of bolt cutters to remove the Club. Getting into these cars is more noticeable IMHO that removing one if the windows are up and the car is locked.

Sorry the Club (like most alarms) at best discourages only small kids with no tools.

Bottom line is that if someone want your car they will get it. You can only make it not worth the effort or discourage "stupid thieves"

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks all,
Sounds like an alarm and a club may be the way to go. Just to make it unfomfortable for the thieves to mess with my stuff.
Neil, you don't have a photo of that simple devise that keeps the hood latch from operating do you??

TraveledGTCS

I had read this thread about securing ones Mustang. A canadian friend of mine has a lock attached to the hood release mechanism. I was up at his place this past weekend and took some photos of it. It's basically the same type of locking device used on a glass display case. From what I understand it only works on 67-68 mustangs hood latchs. Again it's only a deterent,

Attachments

• Hood Lock 1.jpg
    Hood Lock 1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Hood Lock 2.jpg
    Hood Lock 2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Hood Lock 3.jpg
    Hood Lock 3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 28

franklinair

That's very similar to what I had used. If they can't open the hood, kinda tough to hotwire. The other half of the system triggered the horns if the door was opened..

Neil

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Cool,
Thanks for the photos. I appreciate you taking the time to post them for me. A photo is definitely worth a thousand words.